People on Atkins diet, what do you eat? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

People on Atkins diet, what do you eat?

Say for like lunch/dinner. I have the oppurtunity to get back into football, need to shed some weight, what do you eat?

Thanks,
Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 06:29 PM

keto foods

chicken breasts, hamburger patties, cheese, steaks, pork rinds, some ranch dressing, sugar free jello, oh yea, and lots of water...if you need more info, pm me..

Kelly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:01 PM
Time Served

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON,DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:16 PM

[email protected] superstang
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:36 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

slim fast shake for breakfast, steam chicken and vegetables for lunch and dinner, i did that and ran everyday, neatless to said, i lost alot of strength and muscle fibers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:27 PM

Atkins diet

I know three people on the diet who have done really well...I'm talking like 20-25 lbs lost in about 2 months!! Third person lost 8 lbs in one week.

Diet can be frustrating though...can not drink colas...actually most drinks have too many carbs...so best to stick to water only...No bread, crackers, crusts, desserts, or sweets with sugar...Must limit your carb intake to no more than 20 PER DAY.

Can have salad, fresh veggies, some fruits (no apples or oranges though), all the meat you want, and cheese.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Time Served

if you are highly active (football),you are flirting with disaster if you choose to try this diet...This diet is for people that will not work out ,are not active,and dont care about heart attacks..You will be dragging around with no energy in practice.This diet will work, but it is only for certain types of people...Starving yourself will also work eventually,But we can all agree that just cause something works doesnt mean its the right way..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Time Served

Agree with superstang, do not use atkin's if you want to get back into football. The diet is made for people who are not active and just want to lose weight, with muscle retention not mattering.

Go with a keto diet, it is a low carb, high fat diet as well. Keto allows your body to keep all of it's muscle, and burns fat as energy.

I am currently using it and having incredible results. I am not really overweight, but just using it to cut down. I know people at my gym that have gone from around 10% body fat to 6% in a matter of weeks.

This might help you out:
Step by Step Keto Diet Plan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by bd69steed
The diet is made for people who are not active
not true - Dr. Atkins advocates exercise in his book, The New Diet Revolution and it's a huge part of the program.

Back to the original question: for lunch you are given 2 cups of salad a day with a low card dressing (usually Caesar is a safe bet) so, I'll go to McDonalds and get a side salad shaker (it's just about 2 cups of salad greens) with Caesar dressing and a double cheeseburger with no ketchup (ketchup has lots of sugar in it) and throw away the buns and eat the salad and meat. Or, I'll get grilled chicken sandwich and throw away the buns and have that with the salad.

It's rather simple and quite easy to stay on - but you are definately expected to keep up your workouts through the diet. I actually have noticed an increase in energy which is helping me to blow past my old cardio times.

92whitestallionchick is not quite right - the 20 carb per day limit is only for 2 weeks - while you are on induction after that your limit is increased. The types of vegetable you are allowed is limited, and they do not have to be "fresh" like she quoted. Also, your fruits are limited as well - some fruits are too starchy and will throw you out of ketosis. And you CAN drink colas - diet, of course, be he recommends that you stay away from aspartame and use Splenda instead - the only cola with Splenda is Diet Rite - which isn't too gross.

I'm very well versed in this and would be more than happy to pass along any info that I can - but recommend that you just buy the book and read it. Or visit Atkins Information
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Time Served

Ok, so maybe people that want to exercise to stay in shape.....

For a football player (I played for 5 years), Atkins is not the way to go. You will loose a lot of weight, and the plan is great for that, but you will also loose muscle. Which is a very important thing on the field when your going up against 300 lb guys that can bench press motorcycles. So if he is looking to loose as much weight as he can and still retain all the muscle he currently has and gain more then a cyclinical ketogenic diet is definetly the way to go in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement