Heart rate monitors - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Bitch

Heart rate monitors

How much are they and where can I find a good one for a decent price? I am getting to where I like running outside more than I used to and want to start keeping my heartrate at the ultimate cardio level without getting it too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:14 PM

Oshmans has them from like 40?-200 dollars

Oshmans Heart Rate Monitors
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: Heart rate monitors

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
How much are they and where can I find a good one for a decent price? I am getting to where I like running outside more than I used to and want to start keeping my heartrate at the ultimate cardio level without getting it too high.
Depends on what you want... if you want just the basic, look at the monitor and see where your heart is at, the Polar A1 is around $60, you might get it cheaper. It will give you the basics... tracks heart rate and exercise time, and give you the average over the workout.

That one is about as basic as you can get. There are also the A3 and A5 models as well, giving varying degrees of more junk with an increasing price. I don't know of the quality of readings from the A models, but Polar is the brand when it comes to heart rate monitors.

http://www.polarusa.com

I use a Sports Instruments ECG5, which gives me 48 lap stopwatch for intervals, along with average heart rate over each of the 48 laps (I only need 10 really). Upper/lower limit alarms, so I can program in a heart rate range for a workout and don't have to bother with looking at the display, time in and out of the set zone, calorie counter (worthless), and a few other goodies. I let the fit of the ECG transmitter better than Polar. The ECG5 is SI's top of thel line and runs about $140.

Polar even has models that are massively priced around 300-400 dollars which provide an interface to the PC, so you can log your data. I'd love to have that feature, but not at 300-400 bucks! It would be nice to log the data and look at it over a period of 3-6-9-12 months and see what is happening.

Stay away from the MIO models, in my opinion. Sounds cool to get away from the chest transmitter, but the accuracy is questionable at best. The chest transmitter doesn't have to be super snug to get a good contact and is going to be much much more accurate. Plus, who wants to be running and touching the damn watch with your fingers to get a reading.

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 07-24-2002 at 08:51 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Bitch

Cool, I checked out the Polar stuff and the cheapest one they have will do what I need. Thanx for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement