I'm getting fat!! I'm hitting a new regime today....how's this sound? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Question I'm getting fat!! I'm hitting a new regime today....how's this sound?

Diet: Breakfast (carbs and protein)
Lunch (Protein no carbs)
*mid day (Protein no carbs)
evening (Protein no carbs)

*Supplement of Protein Shake for mid day snack

Workout:
Mon: Chest(sets of 15) Flat benchpress,decline then move to dumbells and close with pushups. (10 minutes of cardio)

Tues: Back (wide grip pullups, one arm rows all 15 reps with moderate weight)10 min. of cardio

Wed: Legs(I'm gonna go for bulk on the legs heavy weight) no cardio

Thurs: Arms and cardio

Fri: Shoulders and cardio

I weigh 198lb right now. I think If I do this routine for a month(especially cut the carbs at least 80%) I should come back in at around 190 and kinda cut.

Comments?

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I'll leave the weights to playahata and others...

I'd up your cardio a little bit. Shoot for 15-20 minutes a session. Following a 2 minutes easy, 2 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy,2 minutes hard pattern. Running on a treadmill burns more calories than riding the stationary bike. With your weight, in 20 minutes, you should be burning a good 300 calories per 20 minutes.

On your diet, I'd add a mid-morning snack, like 1/2 a protein bar or something. Also, I'd add some carbs at lunch at least, like salad or a piece of fruit. I say salad or fruit because you aren't getting much fiber, and with as much protein as it looks like you are going to get, you are gonna be one constipated mutha. The carbs in salads and fruits aren't bad as the starchy ones in pastas, potatoes.

Also, water, water, water.... not only do you need to keep hydrated to lose weight, but, again, with the amount of protein you are getting, you need to flush your kidneys. Kidney stones are a beatch.

Take a multi vitamin to make up any deficiencies.

Try to make your last meal at least 3 hours before you go to bed.

Good luck! Remember that most people give advice based on what works for them, or people they know. It sounds like you thought this out. If you look at what you planned and its working for you, go for it. Don't change a thing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Hired Hand

For me, on a cutting phase I try to keep the reps in the 10-12 rep range. When I do high rep sets (15+), muscle and strength seem to fade a bit too fast for my taste. I'd even suggest that you throw in an 8 rep week every third week or so to spice things up and keep your strength up. That said, everybody's physiology and muscle make-up (fast vs slow twitch fibers) are different, so we all react differently to the different types of training/intensity.

As for cardio, 10 minutes at a time isn't anything but a warm up, even at high intensity. Do atleast 20 minutes to get your body into fat-burning mode, preferably longer to maximize the benefits.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

I don't have time for a 20minute cardio. I'm not willing to sacrifice much of my weightlifting for 20 minutes of cardio either. I figure with a very low carb diet, plus working out 5 days as well as cardio, I should cut up pretty good in about a month. I don't want to loose muscle either.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Hired Hand

You can definitely cut up without cardio, it's just a little harder and take a bit longer. In you case 10 min is certainly better than none, just be super-strict on that diet and you'll get there.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:26 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
I don't have time for a 20minute cardio. I'm not willing to sacrifice much of my weightlifting for 20 minutes of cardio either. I figure with a very low carb diet, plus working out 5 days as well as cardio, I should cut up pretty good in about a month. I don't want to loose muscle either.
I wouldn't waste my time with 10 minutes cardio. You can use weight lifting alone to *cut up*. To make it more effective, cut down on your rest period between sets, keep your heart rate up.

I wear a heart rate monitor while doing any training and keeping my rest between sets to 30 seconds, I can keep my heart rate above 135 BPM, upwards to 170-180 on a good set of 15 reps on the leg press with 5 plates on each side.

If you aren't one of those gym socializers you can make weight training very cardio.

I love those guys that have the cell phone on when they are lifting weights and take calls in between sets. WTF? There is one time, when I'm training, when I don't want any interruptions. That's my time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:38 AM

your heart rate hits 180bpm on a 15 rep set of what???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement