how long to rest ??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

how long to rest ???

I just started to really get into lifting weights and when i was younger i always lifted mon, wed, fri on arms and tues, thur on legs and rested sat and sunday. Now i have the chance to do arms one day legs the other and never rest , should i do it? what is the best way to build muscle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Hired Hand

Your body is broken down in the gym, built at night when you sleep. Rest is as important for maximizing growth as your training intensity. Without ample rest your body won't be able to recuperate one muscle group before you start breaking down another. I personally hit the gym 4 days a week (2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off). You can move your days off around depending on your schedule and can even cut the extra weekend day off out if you feel that you can handle the extra load. Just watch you body for signs of fatigue or over-training and back off if need be. In this case, there can be such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:41 AM

I dont see why your arm workouts are so important... Try a simple spilt routing or do what im starting HST

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 12:43 PM

playhata

who many times do you work out you arm, chest and etc each week
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Hired Hand

Re: playhata

Quote:
Originally posted by rdgowens
who many times do you work out you arm, chest and etc each week
I work each mucle group once per week. Depending on your overall goals, once a week is plenty to make solid gains. You just have to make sure that the intensity of each workout justifies only hitting the muscle once.

Last edited by Big A; 07-24-2002 at 07:01 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

well i used to lift upper body 3 days a week and lower body 2 days a week and the next week 3 days on lower and 2 days on upper and so on and so on. Now i have the chance to workout everyday, one day upper the other day lower and never have a off day. I was wondering if this is going to hurt me or help me? I am going for speed in my legs and i want to get bigger in the upper body and more defined.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit77383
well i used to lift upper body 3 days a week and lower body 2 days a week and the next week 3 days on lower and 2 days on upper and so on and so on. Now i have the chance to workout everyday, one day upper the other day lower and never have a off day. I was wondering if this is going to hurt me or help me? I am going for speed in my legs and i want to get bigger in the upper body and more defined.
It all depends on your workout intensity and your body's ability to recover. Sounds to me like an opportunity to severly overtrain yourself by hittin' the gym that much. If not, you aren't lifting like you should. You can lift twice a day every day and not gain a single pound if you don't push yourself to the max and then allow time to repair and grow. Working out daily is a great way to break the body down, but when will there be time to build it back up?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks playahata , I was thinking of resting over the weekend but i thought i would just suck it up and push myself more but now i know that it will help me out alot by doing it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 12:06 AM
P.I.M.P.

I personally hated resting on the weekends, Monday's hard enough as it is... I usually work upper 1 day, lower next, then off, then repeat. JMO tho
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:49 AM

The program i use is like this:
Day 1: Chest and triceps
Day 2: Back and biceps
Day 3: Legs and shoulders
Day 4: Rest or do cardio
then repeat the same pattern. Every other day do abs. This is a 9 week program that has seen many great effects on people that do it correctly. The first 3 weeks you do high repetitions of low weights. This gives you the "cut" effect. The second 3 weeks you do 3 sets of 8-10 reps on each exercise gettin you to work yourself a little harder to build strength and size. The third 3 weeks you do very low reps of high weight. This builds strength and helps tremendously after the 6 weeks before. I have seen this work wonders on people as long as they eat right and stay with the program. You want to do about 3 exercises per muscle on the program.
Daniel
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:26 AM
dispatching aero planes

Day 1: chest or shoulders
Day 2: back or legs
Day 3: legs or rest
Day 4: rest or back
Day 5: shoulders or chest

I rotate between the two different cycles trying to shock my muscles a little. I do the first ones about a month then take a week of and do the second ones for about a month.

Also I never work the same group of muscles in one week.

I do this just to keep building, lean muscle mass. I also change the reps and the wieght and little and do different excercises every two weeks for each body part. It has helped me quite a bit. It is alot easier to stick to a schedule of working out, I go before work on days I work nights and after work on days I work in the morning. Hope this helps a little.
-R

Last edited by RCobracon94; 07-27-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement