Atkin's diet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Fabrique National Fan

Atkin's diet

Anyone on the board on this diet? Does it work? ...also post up if you've heard anything interesting about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:11 AM
XL

Trying to slim down before college Brandon?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Fabrique National Fan

yeah, i need to lose my tubby ass some pounds!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:19 AM
Time Served

check into Advocare....it's some sorta nutrition system...dallas stars, cowboys..bunch of people supposedly endorse it...

all i know about it is that my mom has lost 50 pounds in the last 5 months without exercise...

it has muscle building stuff, weight loss stuff, vitamin stuff...just check into it..or pm me
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Fabrique National Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NoBikeMike
check into Advocare....it's some sorta nutrition system...dallas stars, cowboys..bunch of people supposedly endorse it...

all i know about it is that my mom has lost 50 pounds in the last 5 months without exercise...

it has muscle building stuff, weight loss stuff, vitamin stuff...just check into it..or pm me

thanx, i will definatly check that out!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Time Served

Re: Atkin's diet

Quote:
Originally posted by V6FireChickenFromHell
Anyone on the board on this diet? Does it work? ...also post up if you've heard anything interesting about it.
Basically you eat a lot of meat and no cheese or bread. It's not very good for you to just totally cut stuff out but I used to take metabolife so I have no room to talk

try this www.atkinscenter.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:20 AM
The Janitor

I heard its only really good if you combine it with a workout, otherwise it will not work. And you *dont* work out. Unless you count rolling out of bed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:43 AM
Hired Hand

Any diet that requires you cut out a very essential macronutrient is NOT a good idea. I have heard that it works, but at what cost? I am a big advocate of a higher protien diet, but your body also needs carbs and fat in moderation to function properly. Your brain's primary source for energy is carbohydrates. Without them you will feel sluggish and mentally slow. Ever try to run your car without gas in the tank? The key is to eat a little of everything in moderation and to make healthy choices. Simple sugars aredefinately bad, but whole grains and complex carbs are essential to a healthy body.

Last edited by Big A; 07-18-2002 at 03:40 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:06 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Atkins' diet works by putting your body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis occurs whenever the body lacks a sufficient supply of carbohydrates, the body's primary source of energy. During ketosis, the carb-depleted metabolisms look for other sources, including ketones from stored fat and protein (thus the name ketosis).

Ketosis is the body's last ditch emergency response. Basically, the Atkins diet attempts to place your body into an emergency response 24/7. This is definetly not health for pregnant women (which I'm sure doesn't include you!) and people with diabetes.

What most champions of the Atkins diet concentrate so much on the fat burning capability of ketosis, they never mention that over a longer period protein, thus muscle, is also burned.

Also, by restricting carbs, it will inevitably lead to lack of fiber, which will screw up your digestion.

Not to mention the Atkins diet is also high in fat, thus high amounts of cholesterol and saturated fat, increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers.

The last problem I see with the Atkins diet is that is does nothing to encourage weight management strategies (portion control, serving sizes), let alone develop skills for balanced nutrition.

I haven't read any studies regarding long term use of the Atkins diet, along the lines of "100 people lost 50 lbs each, but after 1 year after being off the diet, 50 people had gained it back". Sure they are coming soon.

When you lose weight, even a controlled 1-2 pounds a week, you invariably lose some lean muscle mass. Unfortunately, when you yo-yo diet (gaining some weight back), 100% of the weight gain (if you aren't working out) will be fat. So, if you lose 10 lbs and 1 lb is muscle, when you gain 5 lbs back, your body composition is actually worse off, then when you started the diet.

Because Atkins diet promotes lean mass as an energy source, its effect as described above is magnified.

Of course, ironically, Atkins was hospitalized in April of this year, with cardiac arrest while waiting for breakfast at a restaurant....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Of course, ironically, Atkins was hospitalized in April of this year, with cardiac arrest while waiting for breakfast at a restaurant.... [/B]
All we need now is for Steve Irwin to get gobbled up by a croc.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Time Served

I used it for awhile, and it worked. But I went on vacation for two weeks and put it all back on. So I'm doing what Playahata has told me and it works and I'm more comfortable with myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement