Beer, The New Sports Drink - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Beer, The New Sports Drink

Latest Bicycling magazine has an article, "Beer?!?! Cheers!", describing the benefits of beer. I think we can all agree on this article (at least we could *convince* ourselves its true, lol)

Major Points:

- British cyclists carried stout in their water bottles. Guiness mid-ride. A British cycling magazine in the 50s said "There is food as well as drink in there".

Good pts of beer:

- good source of folate (helps with concentration and memory)
- contains boflavin (helps release energy from carbs)
- contains phosphorus (assists in contraction of muscles, maintains regular heartbeat)
- contains magnesium (production and transport of energy in the body)
- dark beers have antioxidants
- drink a day may increase HDL (the good cholesterol)
- studies show a reduced risk of cataracts and atherosclerosis
- calorie wise beer is better than wine, since it is 92% water
- night before a big race, one beer might help relax and calm nerves with no side effects in the morning

But, alas, the article finished with "so grab a cold one - but just one - and raise a glass to good health and victory"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 03:44 PM
mannish boy

yeah, the kicker is stopping at one... but I think you should have a REAL beer... something you can taste and feel... not some watered down light beer...

make mine a Franziskaner please!

Forrest
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 12:13 AM

It says "contains folate(*helps concentration and memory) WOW, that seems like the exact opposite of what a get out of a cold one!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:41 AM
Poorboy racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
yeah, the kicker is stopping at one...
exactly
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:58 AM

That was an extremely stupid article.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar
That was an extremely stupid article.
Gee Darkstar, care to expand on your inifinite wisdom?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:37 AM

Would you really like me too?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 12:13 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
I would like you to...

Forrest
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Sure Darkstar, I would not have asked if I didn't want you to expand on the massive amount of knowledge you have on the ATP process and beer's effect on it.

Please go ahead!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:34 AM

This has nothing to do w/ the 'ATP Processes'. Its true beer isnt bad for you in moderation and it does offer benefits. But when there are known side affects for drinking why not get your 'benefits' from other sources. It just seems stupid to me.

Its amazing how sarcastic and defensive you can become when someone argues one of your posts. Im not flaming you im just stating my opinion, I would think that you could act more appropriate.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 03:08 PM

other than making you fat...

Why alcohol is anathema to bodybuilding.....
1: Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1997 Aug;21(5):792-8 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Studies on the time-course of ethanol's acute effects on skeletal muscle protein synthesis: comparison with acute changes in proteolytic activity.

Reilly ME, Mantle D, Richardson PJ, Salisbury J, Jones J, Peters TJ, Preedy VR.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom.

A study of the effects of ethanol on skeletal muscle protein synthesis and protease activities was carried out in young male Wistar rats (150 g) for up to 24 hr after a single intraperitoneal dose of 75 mmol of ethanol/kg of body weight. At 20 min, the mean blood ethanol levels were 448 mg/dl. This level dropped steadily to zero through the following 24 hr.

So, this study basically looks at the effects of ethanol 24 hours
after drinking it.

Compared with pair-fed controls, significant reductions in total protein, RNA, and DNA contents were seen only after 24 hr in all skeletal muscles studied: changes were more marked in the muscles containing large proportions of type II fibers. In plantaris muscle, the fractional rate of protein synthesis (ks, %/day) did not fall 20 min after dosage but was reduced after 1 hr by 23% (p < 0.001), and by 63% after 24 hr, compared with control saline-injected rats (p < 0.001).

So, let us see.......23% reduction in protein synthesis after
1 hr and 63%!!!! after 24 hours.

This effect was independent of dietary intake because,

VERY IMPORTANT: Effect was independent of dietary intake.
SO, even with a PERFECT diet, ethanol still wreaks HAVOC
with your bodies anabolicity.

compared with the pair-fed group, the 24-hr ethanol-treated rats still showed a 52% decrease in fractional rates of protein synthesis (p < 0.001). Smaller reductions in ks were seen in soleus muscles in response to ethanol at 24 hr (-39%, p < 0.001). The activities of a variety of lysosomal and nonlysosomal proteases in plantaris muscle of 24-hr treated rats were not significantly affected by ethanol. Only alanyl- and tripeptidyl-aminopeptidase activities were reduced significantly (26%, p < 0.05 and 39%, p < 0.01, respectively). These results suggest that the muscle compositional changes seen over acute periods of ethanol toxicity are predominantly associated with impaired synthesis of protein and that the contribution of cellular proteolytic systems may be minimal.

Again,

The effects of ethanol on skeletal muscle protein metabolism are greater in muscles containing a predominance of type II fibers than in those containing mainly type I fibers.

Type II fibers= LARGE muscle fibers for TRAINING.
Type I=Fast twitch for activities like walking.

Ethanol's effects on muscle may be influenced by hormonal changes after 24 hr, because protein synthesis is still compromised and free plasma T3 and corticosterone are altered at this time-point.

Even worse, ethanol causes a HORMONAL shift. It increases
estrogen through the up-regulation of the aromatase enzyme,
lowers testosterone,increases cortisol and to boot reduces
free T3 levels.

PMID: 9267527 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So, the next time you go drinking go for some non-alcoholic
drinks if on cycle. Or use an alcohol replacer.

If you drink, and wonder why you don't grow, well......
read and learn then, because this is for you.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: other than making you fat...

Quote:
Why alcohol is anathema to bodybuilding.....
And where did it say it was good or bad for bodybuilding? Last time I checked, Bicycling magazine was for cyclists, not bodybuilders.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
This has nothing to do w/ the 'ATP Processes'. Its true beer isnt bad for you in moderation and it does offer benefits. But when there are known side affects for drinking why not get your 'benefits' from other sources. It just seems stupid to me.

Its amazing how sarcastic and defensive you can become when someone argues one of your posts. Im not flaming you im just stating my opinion, I would think that you could act more appropriate.
Its amazing how offensive you get when someone posts something you don't agree with.

Not everyone on this board is interest in building 21" biceps.

The article was part tongue and cheek and part fact. Here are some other things about beer:

UT Southwest Med Center reported consuming moderate amounts of beer would lower ones chances of coronary heart disease by 30-40%, compared to those who don't drink at all (beer contains a similiar amount of polyphenols as red wine and 4-5 times as polyphenols as white wine.)

Alcohol has been attributed to increasing the "good" cholosterol.

Beer contains vitamin B6, which prevents the build up of amino acid homocysteine, which has been linked to heart disease.

Beer provides 30% increase in B6 into blood plasma. Neither liquor nor white wine can do this.

Beer has a relaxing effect on the body thereby reducing stress and helping you sleep better.

Beer has proven to have positive effects on elderly people. It promots blood vessel dilation, sleep and urination.

The only problem with beer is people drink irresponsibly and sobriety is not a word in their vocabulary.

I think your article is a bunch of bull, one person has proven that, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer." Arnold Schwarzenegger (1975).

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 07-29-2002 at 11:59 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:10 PM

Theres no point argueing, you have your opinion and I have mine. I just choose to get my benefits from sources not related to domestic voilence... Maybe you would understand if you had to grow up like I did.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Theres no point argueing, you have your opinion and I have mine. I just choose to get my benefits from sources not related to domestic voilence... Maybe you would understand if you had to grow up like I did.
At least it gives me your background, sorry to hear you grew up like that.

But, the article was discussing the health benefits of an occasional beer, not domestic violence.

BTW, most studies find there is NO correlation between domestic violence and alcohol abuse, with over 76% of the domestic violence cases in the Kantor/Straus study occuring the the absence of alcohol or drug use. This society has a history of holding people less responsible for their actions when inhibited by alcohol and drugs. Thus it becomes an easy out.

Domestic abuse is about power and control, not substance abuse.

I've lost a favorite uncle when he was out running one morning at 4:30am, which he did every day before going starting work. A drunk passed out at the wheel, leveling my unclde and dragging him 200 feet into a field before he applied his brakes.

I don't hold everyone who orders a beer at a bar responsible for his death. The overwhelming majority of people drink responsibly.

There is nothing wrong with an occasional drink and the article proves there actually is a benefit to those who wish to partake responsibly.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:54 PM

Your right the overwhelming majority of people who do drink do it responsibly, and I dont blame people who drink for the way I had to grow. On the other hand many studies do relate domestic violence and abuse to alcohol, stemming from its impairment of descision making processes of the brain... Its my personal opinion that drinking for your health is relatively stupid when there are other ways to benefit yourself without the negative side affects (of which there are many, in moderation or not).

This post is dead to me. Ive said what I thought and there is no more reason for me to argue with you. I cant change you and im not going to try.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Your right the overwhelming majority of people who do drink do it responsibly, and I dont blame people who drink for the way I had to grow. On the other hand many studies do relate domestic violence and abuse to alcohol, stemming from its impairment of descision making processes of the brain... Its my personal opinion that drinking for your health is relatively stupid when there are other ways to benefit yourself without the negative side affects (of which there are many, in moderation or not).

This post is dead to me. Ive said what I thought and there is no more reason for me to argue with you. I cant change you and im not going to try.
Whatever. Again, domestic violence is about power and control not the amount of alcohol you drink. The only thing that can be related to alcohol and domestic violence is the severity of the domestic violence in heavy drinkers (not moderate drinkers). There is no corelation between alcohol and the rate of domestic violence.

Alcohol in moderation (defined as one drink per day for women and two per day for men) has been scientifically proven to be more effective in lowering the risk of heart and other diseases than good diet, exercising, and losing weight. The ONLY thing to be proven more effective at lowering the risk is to quit smoking if you smoke. Additionally, medical research also suggests that adding alcohol to a healthful diet is more effective than just following the diet alone.

Havard's Healthy Eating Pyramid recommends drinking alcohol in moderation, unless there is a good reason to abstain.

Healthy Eating Pyramid

These are facts, not opinions.

I guess the proven benefit of moderate alcohol consumption is pure bullshit, just as the scientific studies on the detrimental effects of ECA stacks on the body are pure bullshit. That would be, of course, if you were an alcohol abstainer and ECA stack taker.

Whatever, dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement