Running no good - screwed up a knee..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Running no good - screwed up a knee.....

I started running about 3 weeks ago and ran every other morning for a little over a week and noticed much pain in my right knee. I quit the running and here it is like 2 weeks later and it is not better! I have tried completely not using it at all (very miniumum use like walking to my desk) and even tried a little volleyball last night (and I am paying for that today! ) . It felt better when it was warmed up last night but it still hurt when I would really use it. I probably really mesed it up running.

Any idea what I may have done to it? There is pain sort if under the knee cap, and the sides, and today even that tendon that runs directly from the bottom of the knee cap down... The majority of the pain is concentrated in the front half of the knee.

What could I do that would be similar to running for burning off the extra lbs I'd like to loose yet not hurt my knee any more?

Thanks
Todd

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: Running no good - screwed up a knee.....

The pain under the knee cap could be a case of *runners knee*. Symptoms would be pain/tenderness close to and under knee cap at the front or side of the knee. Pain is gradual and gets progressively worse over the days.

The cartilage under the knee cap is worn out, almost sandpaper like.

Cause is usually from running on a camber surface, or a slope like on a sidewalk. Swapping sides of the road every so often helps me.

If you caught it early enough: high intake of Vitamin C, aspirin three times a day (helps block cartilage breakdown). If your knee appears swollen, ICE it every so often to bring down the swelling. I find a bag of Frozen Peas works perfectly (molds to your knee perfectly).

Few other things: make sure you are wearing proper running shoes for your makeup. Go to one of the running stores (not Oshmans, or Just For Feet) and have them check out your stride, gait and posture. After you get your first pair, you can then go to Just For Feet and save a little money.

Alot of knee pain will also come from overly tight hamstrings or quadraceps. If your hamstrings are tight (or quads), they will pull on your tendons, ligaments and cartilage. Also if there is a fairly big difference between hamstring and quadracep strength, one will overcompensate for the other, cause stress on the knee joints.

If your pain doesn't subside in the next few days, make a doctor's appt, there could be some serious damage in there, but after three weeks, unless you seriously twisted your leg running, I'd doubt it.

As far as cardio while resting your knee, you can try swimming, pool running. Elliptical trainers might be "soft" enough on the knee to get you through, or a low resistance on an indoor bike.

Being flat-footed, long and bow legged, my knees are always a "sore" subject for me. I find I need to change my shoes out about every 500 miles to keep the knees from hurting. Also, stretching 30 minutes a day and taking a 5 minute easy slow run before my real workout.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:37 PM
mannish boy

running is for dogs and horses... real men lift weights!!!

Forrest

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:43 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
running is for dogs and horses... real men lift weights!!!

Forrest
Hehe....

Have a friend, when I tell him I just got back from running, asks me "Who was chasin' ya'?"

Much runnin' as I do, I must be a *big dawg*.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:10 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

biking is alot easier on your joints than running.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Lifer

For what it's worth, I've been cycling for 15 years or so in some form or fashion. Road raced in the '80's and mountain biked in the '90's. Now I ride a Lifecycle 40 minutes a day. NEVER experienced an injury ( other than some nasty crashes). I used to hate running in the rain, cold, or heat. I put 42k miles on my last Lifecycle, and the salesman about shit. They are tough, and a good investment, but...it won't do any good gathering dust in the garage.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:09 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Vertnut
I put 42k miles on my last Lifecycle, and the salesman about shit. They are tough, and a good investment, but...it won't do any good gathering dust in the garage.
Lifecycles are durable. Mine lasted 15 years, only changed the battery one time. I gave it to a friend when I converted my home gym into a home office. He is still using it.

Changed the seat out for a road bike seat, clip pedals and fab'd a tri-bar handlebar setup.

Pop in a video of the Tour de Lance and I was set.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Yeah, bicycling is good for burning the fat away. I don't have problems with my knees but I do in my shins. Here lately I have quit running every day and only hit the trail maybe every other day or sometimes I might go two or three days without running on the trail and the pains in my legs have seemed to not return. The days inbetween running, I always ride the bike at the gym after working out.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:11 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by UGIVEMEGAS
Yeah, bicycling is good for burning the fat away. I don't have problems with my knees but I do in my shins. Here lately I have quit running every day and only hit the trail maybe every other day or sometimes I might go two or three days without running on the trail and the pains in my legs have seemed to not return. The days inbetween running, I always ride the bike at the gym after working out.
Few things to fix shin splints:

1. Stretch good. Before running, walk for 5 minutes, then stretch your thighs and calves.
2. Where do you land when your foot comes down? Most people that experience shin splints will land on their mid-foot, or toes, without heel contact first.
3. Shoes. Check out a store like Run On Dallas and have someone suggest some shoes for running in regards to your genetic makeup.

-or- just don't run as much. ;-)

I have flat feet, so I pronate, which causes alot of motion your body wasn't made to support. I use maximum control type shoes (New Balance 1200). Bastards run some bucks ($140) and I go through a pair about every 2-3 months, but its alot less expensive then knee surgery, or the depression I would get from not being able to run.

Shoes can make the difference between enjoying running and pain.

I enjoy biking, but running is my first love, with swimming second. I don't think I could give it up.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Well, to be completely honest, I have no clue how my foot lands when I am running. lol.......... Never really thought to pay attention to it but not running so much does keep it from bothering me anymore.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Worship me

I don't pay attention to anything when i run, if it hurts I change my technique and speed. I notice that I only get shin splints if I push myself when it comes to speed. If I go too fast and get them then I will lower my speed back down and run longer. I run a treadmill so i can control my speed precisely. I'm a big fat guy too 212 lbs. at the moment so my feet take a beating.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
I don't pay attention to anything when i run, if it hurts I change my technique and speed. I notice that I only get shin splints if I push myself when it comes to speed. If I go too fast and get them then I will lower my speed back down and run longer. I run a treadmill so i can control my speed precisely. I'm a big fat guy too 212 lbs. at the moment so my feet take a beating.
When your shins start hurting, how long does it take to recover? My shit hurts for days after it starts. I will completely lay off any kind of working my legs except for some easy walking and it still hurts like hell.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 08:38 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by UGIVEMEGAS

When your shins start hurting, how long does it take to recover? My shit hurts for days after it starts. I will completely lay off any kind of working my legs except for some easy walking and it still hurts like hell.
To help in your recovery:

1. Ice immediately after running
2. Aspirin/ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain
3. Obviously, stop running, or reduce mileage
4. Avoid hills and concrete
5. Stretch

Tell me what kind of shoes you are using and whether or not you have a high, normal or no arch. You won't believe how much better you will run (and your legs will feel) with a proper set of running shoes.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 04:13 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Your fat self must weigh more than 212, I weigh 195.

I've got horrible knees and ankles, and have a bad history of shin splints. I've had to do like 01 and buy quality shoes, for all my sports. If you've got real problems with splints, try running on grass, or on a high school track for a while. The problem won't go away as quickly as no running, but it's much easier on the joints and shins. But make sure you take TONS of vitamin C.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra

To help in your recovery:

1. Ice immediately after running
2. Aspirin/ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain
3. Obviously, stop running, or reduce mileage
4. Avoid hills and concrete
5. Stretch

Tell me what kind of shoes you are using and whether or not you have a high, normal or no arch. You won't believe how much better you will run (and your legs will feel) with a proper set of running shoes.
Ok, I just got back from running about a mile and a half and kinda watched myself to see what I am doing. For about the first half mile or so I was landing on my heel first but the further I went, I began landing flat footed. When I noticed myself doing that I started paying attention to how I was landing my feet and it actually helped me for stamina/distance before my legs felt like they were going to give out. As far as the shin splints go, I would have to run like this every day for about a week or so before my shit started hurting again. If I only do it at the most every other day it will not bother me.

My shoes are Reebok's that probably need to be replaced so I am going to try some different ones the next time I get a chance to go do some shopping. If you have some reccomendations for me I would take them to mind when I am looking at shoes. Oh yeah, I am about 5' 11" and weigh about 210 lbs. Yep, I am a fattie.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement