a.m. vs. p.m. routine - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
lol, this place sucks now

a.m. vs. p.m. routine

Is there any particular things to look out for or differences in the two(eating habits, rest, etc.)? I really need to get back into shape but my job is fairly physically demanding and I'm exhausted after work and I would like to start a morning workout at the facility at my apartment complex. I'm not looking to win any Muscle Competitions, just tone up and replace this fat weight with muscle weight. I'm 30 and 6' 0" 195lbs right now, mostly not muscle.

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:20 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: a.m. vs. p.m. routine

Quote:
Originally posted by ClockwrkOrange306
Is there any particular things to look out for or differences in the two(eating habits, rest, etc.)? I really need to get back into shape but my job is fairly physically demanding and I'm exhausted after work and I would like to start a morning workout at the facility at my apartment complex. I'm not looking to win any Muscle Competitions, just tone up and replace this fat weight with muscle weight. I'm 30 and 6' 0" 195lbs right now, mostly not muscle.

Thanks,
Tim
Actually, working out in the early morning, you will burn more fat than in the evening. Very little carbohydrate energy to burn, since you hadn't eaten for hours. I try to get all my cardio in before my first meal.

While you will burn some cals lifting weights, cardio is where you want to be. If you can dedicate months to your new found shape, I'd say 3x a week cardio minimum. If you want to speed up the process, 5-6x a week. If you do cardio on your weight lifting days, do your weight lifting first, then cardio.

Weights, I would do 3x a week, std exercises, bench press, curls, tri extensions, lat pulldowns, squats/leg press, etc. 3 sets each, 8-12 reps.

Biggest thing will be to watch your diet. You want to lose 2 pounds of fat per week, to keep lean mass lose to a minimum. If you can keep your self active in the workout for about an hour you burn 500 calories or so, plus your metabolism will stay increased for a few hours afterwards. So about 600 cals a day on the workout days.

Working out 5x a week, you would create an additional 3000 calories burned, almost a pound just from workout. If you burn 600 or so more calories per day than you ingest, you'd be at 2 pounds per week.

Drink lots and lots of water a day. I keep a 32 oz. bottle of water around all the time. I take in about 160-180 ounces per day. But I'm doing about 2-3 hours of workouts, pretty high intensity. Water has no calories, the excess water will be shed. Once you get used to upping your water intake, you won't have to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

It takes 4 grams of water to process 1 gram of fat. If you don't have enough water in your system to process the fat, your body will start using your lean tissue as energy. I find that water/strength training is usually the missing ingredient when people tell me "but I lost 10 lbs and my body fat percentage went up!".

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Hired Hand

I have also read that in most cases, male testosterone peaks at about 12-1 in the afternoon. That doesn't really affect a fat burning program, but if you are able to do your strength taining at lunch time, that's one benefit. It's not the most convenient time to get one in, but when I was in college, I could really tell the difference between a lunchtime workout and my usual evening program.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:18 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata
I have also read that in most cases, male testosterone peaks at about 12-1 in the afternoon.
Interesting. I'll have to search for that. I've always believed (probably read it somwhere) that growth hormone peaks during sleep and testosterone and cortisol (steroid hormone) usually peak in the early morning.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
lol, this place sucks now

great info guys, thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:17 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Cortisol and testosterone levels are highest in the early morning...say 8am. They tend to taper off as the day wears on. Im not sure to what extend, but thats what I see. Especially when tracking cortisol in patients with timed blood draws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement