Work out Program - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
#1 Howard Stern fan

Work out Program

I have been working out for about 2 months now at 24hr. fitness in Mesquite w/ a freind of mine. We are getting bored with the same ole' routine and wonder if anyone has a different work out program they could reccomend ? thanks for any reccomendations !!
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:01 PM
dispatching aero planes

well what are you doing now? and what are your goals?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
#1 Howard Stern fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RCobracon94
well what are you doing now? and what are your goals?
I dont want to get huge but bigger than just tone..... what are some good things to take for working out......I dont want to do steroids. Right now we do shoulders and back one night and chest and arms the next night......I guess what im really wanting to know about is just what people take to help boost their energy, I seem to lose alot of energy and feel pretty tired alot.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 07:28 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i just bought some Betastatin WP meal replacements from www.betastatin.com. I know a few ppl who had good results with it.. aswell as Nitrotech bars from mesotech..
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:13 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by GARS02GSTA

I dont want to get huge but bigger than just tone..... what are some good things to take for working out......I dont want to do steroids. Right now we do shoulders and back one night and chest and arms the next night......I guess what im really wanting to know about is just what people take to help boost their energy, I seem to lose alot of energy and feel pretty tired alot.
Of course, all in my opinion....

If you lose alot of energy and feel pretty tired alot, take a glance at your diet first. Optimally you should get 60-70% carbs/15% protien/15-25% fat in a balanced glucagon-favorable diet.

The key is the ratio of carbs/protiens you get. That will determine the amount of insulin to glucagon in your bloodstream.

A 4-3 ratio of carbs to protien should be taken in at every meal (to further complicate matters!). You will lose fat on this type of diet because you will be losing your stored fat as a primary source of energy, meaning you won't put as many calories in your mouth to maintain your energy level.

If you are working out and you eat to many carbs excess insulin is released, if you eat too much protien in relation to carbs, you will be in a state of ketosis, which is far worse in your case, since the consquence would be it inhibits the release of glucagon and promotes the loss of muscle mass.

For me, you know when I'm in the "target zone" when I don't have an appetite. If my blood sugar is stabilized, my brain doesn't send out any hunger signals for 4-6 hours. If you are out of the target, you are constanly hungry.

A little side note... the brain can only use carbohydrates as an energy source. As long as muscles can use fatty acids and the brain use carbohydrates, the body works smoothly. When the brain and muscles start to compete for carbs, you start to lose concentration (I'm sure you have felt this if you did any type of physical activity for an hour or more!).

If that sounds like the zone diet, it is! I've modified it a little for my needs, but essentially that is it. Diet plays a huge role in your physical activities.

Getting back into swimming competively this year, I switched my diet to more of a Zone type diet, and I definetly have more energy than when I was 15 and swimming.

For my "snack foods" I eat PowerBar Protien Plus bars, you can get a 12-pack at Sams Club for about $17. Little over a buck a bar, not bad. The ratio is 52% carbs/33% protien/15% fat.

For my meals, my protien comes from lean beef, chicken, fish, egg whites (egg beaters), skim milk, tuna, no fat yogurt, turkey.

My carbs come from fruits,veggies, oatmeal, beans. Carbs from bread, pancakes, cereal, potatoes, rice should be used in moderation, because of the high carb content.

If ya' are still feeling tired after checking your diet, make sure you are killing yourself in your workouts, rest is just as important as slinging weights. If you are not doing any cardio at all, you may want to add 3 or so sessions a week. Get your heart rate up warming up for 5 minutes, do 20 minutes in your target heart rate, cool down for 5 minutes.

I swim quite a bit now, 5K meters a day, soon to be 10K a day, but I still do a targeted cardio 3 times a week on the bike doing intervals. Raising my heart into my cardio zone for a couple of minutes, spinning easy for a couple of minutes to bring my heart rate back down, repeating, for about 40 minutes. Its a bitch at first, but after about two weeks of doing it, you will feel the new found energy.

I lift 3 times a week also, but I'm not concerned with getting bigger, much more concerned with endurance. I do a full body, with the basics: squat, leg ext, leg curl, bench press, military press, dips, pullups, lat pulldowns, curls, tri extensions. 3 sets of 12-15 with 30-45 secs rest in between. Not exactly a routine to get "big".

Good luck!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
#1 Howard Stern fan

WOW !!
now that is some in depth info.......Thank you very much, you have answered alot of questions for me...I was wondering what I should be eating......seems my diet is a little off. how long have you been working out? where do you work out? thanks D. for your input also will be checking into some new things this weekend, I plan on finding you at the next GTG and bench pressing your ass !!.......thats at least 4 times my weight...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:30 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by GARS02GSTA
WOW !!
now that is some in depth info.......Thank you very much, you have answered alot of questions for me...I was wondering what I should be eating......seems my diet is a little off. how long have you been working out? where do you work out? thanks D. for your input also will be checking into some new things this weekend, I plan on finding you at the next GTG and bench pressing your ass !!.......thats at least 4 times my weight...
I've been working out off and on for most of my life. Kinda of get used to it when your dad, the ex-marine, is up at 4:00am every morning working out! He used to have us do all kinds of stuff before school, PT, running, etc. Pain in the butt sometimes, but more fun than anything. He still works out at 68, up until recently, he was still maxing at 300 on the bench. Now, he is more sane!

I've swam ever since I can remember, age-group stuff growing up on a team, football/baseball in HS, tris in my 20s. Time constraints now (family/work) leave me only time to concentrate on swim, no running and very little biking. Hated running anyway.

I swim 5:30am with a Masters Swim Team, lift around lunch, and swim at a few different pools with my 6 year old at night. The 5:30am practice is pretty intense, the evening session with my 6 year old is laid back "trash yards". Continuous swims 1-1.5K meters. More interested in getting my daughters technique down. She'll be my olympic star. lol

Weights are done at Gold's in Garland.

It helps alot that I work at home, saves lots of commuting and getting ready for work everyday. Getting ready for me is putting on a pair of shorts and a shirt and 20 steps up some stairs. It also helps with the diet, since I can have time to prep everything and have a stove/oven/microwave/frig right there.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Lifer

Arrow I need help too

my goal was to get big & I only kept getting toned & stronger!
currently im 212lbs with 20% body fat.
I want to be around 200lbs with 5% body fat & keep my 16"arms, if possible!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 09:00 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: I need help too

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy532
You'd be a stud!

At 212 and 20% you have 42.4 lbs of fat and 169.6 lbs of lean weight.

At 200 and 5% you have 10.0 lbs of fat and 190 lbs of lean weight.

Ain't gonna happen in a couple of months! I've always found it easier to lose the weight first, then pack on the lean tissue.

But, 5% body fat at 200, I don't think your arms will stay 16. I think they will be bigger!

If you were to lose all body fat and get to your target weight, you would be at about 15% body fat (without any lean mass gain). If you lose all body fat to 190, you would be at about 10% (without any lean mass gain).

If I were you, I'd first lose the weight, down to about 190, through sensible diet (see above in this thread) and adding some cardio and lifting more for cardio than for strength (10-15 rep range). Once I got there, I'd increase calorie intake slightly, and lift heavier (8-12 rep range). If at that point if you added only muscle back up to 200, you'd be at 9.5%.

Unless you got the metabolism to support it, or are a highly active athlete type, maintaining 5% body fat is very difficult.

I find I can maintain 7-8% pretty easily, 5% for me, is an insane combination of diet and exercise. At 38, I just don't have the motivation for it anymore!

But, I'm an old fart at 38, maintaining 5% is easier in your 20s than it is in your 30s. Maintaining 8% in your 30s is easier than in your 40s, etc.

Good luck!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Lifer

I never got down to 5% before

I was @ 201~205 lbs about 3 months ago! Golds gym helped me go from 231lbs with 24% body fat, 6 months later I dropped down to 10% body fat & was running 2 miles on the treadmill, on non workout days! could I train with lots of reps to get leaner?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:57 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Re: I never got down to 5% before

Quote:
could I train with lots of reps to get leaner?
more reps, less weight=tone
less reps, more weight=bulk

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 06:16 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: I never got down to 5% before

Quote:
I was @ 201~205 lbs about 3 months ago! Golds gym helped me go from 231lbs with 24% body fat, 6 months later I dropped down to 10% body fat & was running 2 miles on the treadmill, on non workout days! could I train with lots of reps to get leaner?
Myself, I have a predominance of white muscle cells(endurance) compared to red muscle cells (strength/explosiveness). I'll never be huge.

But, I can lace on some running shoes and run 10 miles without thinking about it.

I use relatively high reps to help with muscular endurance, putting my body into an anaerobic state and holding it there for awhile. Take enough rest to drop my heart rate back into an aerobic state, then do it again (3 sets per exercise).

But, I do this because I'm interested in my swimming, not getting lean or huge. Olympic swimmers can hold 180 beats per minute for a much much longer time than a non-trained swimmer. A non-trained swimmer's heart would explode trying to maintain 180 beats per second for any medium length swim (say 400 meters).

So between the spinning on the bike (where I can bring my heart rate up to 190 for a few minutes, back down to 140, back up to 190, over and over again) and weight lifting with relatively high reps (same principle, lift, get into that anaerobic state, rest back to aerobic, do it again) and swimming intervals I'm training my body to be able to hold a higher beats per minute for a longer period of time. Of course, regardless of low reps/high reps, eventually, the weight I'm moving will increase. As my body adapts to a certain weight, my heart rate will drop, my body is becoming more efficient. Thus, increase the weights, add another level of work to the situation.

I'm a believer in your diet does much more to get you leaner, than deciding high reps/low reps. Expend more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Lifting weights during that time will help you maintain and grow lean mass, while you are losing weight. As you grow lean mass, your base metabolism will increase (the number of calories you need to breath, pump blood, register a brain wave).

Regardless of if I use low reps/medium reps/high reps I'll never be a huge guy. If I followed more of a bodybuilder type program, even after years, I'd probably never get 18 inch arms. Just my genetic makeup (predominance of white muscle to red muscle).

Now, I can strap on a pair of running shoes and blow around White Rock Lake in less than an hour (9.2 miles). But I'll never have a 400 lb bench press. Don't have enough explosive red muscle cells.

I'd say that if you are looking to get leaner, 8-12 reps, with a diet where you take in less calories than you expend.

Higher reps, shorter rest between sets works to get you leaner because you are expending more energy, keeping the heart rate up. Whereas, lower reps, heavier weight, more time between sets, you will burn less on an hourly basis.

Just my opinions, of course!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Lifer

wow thats in depth

I think depression & or drinking has kept me from my fitness goals! I get a case of who gives a fuck!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 04:17 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: wow thats in depth

Quote:
I think depression & or drinking has kept me from my fitness goals! I get a case of who gives a fuck!
I drink occasionally. Sunday is typically off for me, except some possible cardio with the kids, so Saturday night, I'll drink some.

During the week, I possibly will have some wine or beer with dinner. If I'm on vacation, 25 year old Macallan.

Sounds like a motivation thing. I can't help ya' there! I help keep myself motivated by planning competitions months in advance and trying to make personal bests in those.

I workout much more because of competition than maintaining a 30" waist. My body is the result of training for competition. I wouldn't care if it was a 34" waist, or a 30" waist.

Personally, I find 5000 meters in the pool, or a nice 9 mile run around White Rock Lake the best medicine for anytime I'm feeling depressed.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 05:47 AM
P.I.M.P.

I have a question Cobra

I'm 18, 6'0 and bout 175lbs... dont know my Body Fat but I've been trying to lose weight and get tone... I've been working out for the last 3 months and lately I've been feeling a huge change emotionally... I go thru huge mood swings, I'll be raging one second and depressed the next, then someone will show up and I'll be happy... I also have noticed that I dont smile nemore... even when I'm happy... Is there a way to balance my ceretonin*sp* lvl or something so i'm not so moody? Also, when I spen tmost of my time infront of a computer programming I would be awake for 2 or 3 days at a time and then sleep for a good 20-30 hours and then repeat... Now I sleep bout 5-7 hours a day and I'm ALWAYS hungry... I want to be normal... I want to eat 3 times a day with a healthy snack in btw, and I want to be able to sleep 9-10 hours a day and I'm tired of being depressed every 5 seconds... I'd appreciate ne advice- Thx
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Hired Hand

Re: I have a question Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
I'm tired of being depressed every 5 seconds... I'd appreciate ne advice- Thx
For me, regular exercise is quite effective at battling mild depression, even to the point that I personally feel like crap if I take too much time off at a stretch. If you think you may be chemically imbalanced then talk to your doctor as medication or counseling may be necessary. If it's just a mild case of the blues you've got, just hit the gym daily and watch what you eat. Your body should eventually settle into a daily cycle, and a clean diet will make sure your body is well nourished and your mind is clear. The exercise will ensure that you are tired enough to need a full nights sleep and also help to clean out any impurities that may be dragging you down. After a little time your body will tighten up and the exta confidence gained is also a good mood booster, and then oyu can start making longer term goals, giving you more to look forward too in the future..

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Newb

hey whitecobra - since you are the answer dude can you thelp me? do you know of any at home test things you can do to determine (maybe not exactly but close) body fat percentage? or is it best to go to a doc to check all that out?
thanx
later
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:43 PM
mannish boy

if you're tired and not really getting anywhere, you're overtraining and it sounds like you're not properly training...

I didn't see any legs listed in there...

your body will not allow your upper body to get disproportionate to your lower body... it sounds wierd, but usually the answer to questions like "how do I get bigger shoulders?" "how do I get a bigger chest?" etc. is SQUAT! the legs/glutes are very large muscles and make up a big percentage of your overall musculature.

Squatting engages more muscles than any other exercises and it stimulates testosterone production, and like I said... untill you get some weight below the belt, you're not going to get much bigger above the belt...

so get in there and do some leg work!!!! it's a trip... I never believed it till I tried it... I'm no hurcules, and I don't work out as consistantly as I'd like, but I am a good 20lbs heavier than I was back before I started doing leg work...

oh, and don't do calves and legs on the same day... I usually do calves on chest day... I split my legs and calves and try to spread them out so that I'll actually be able to WALK! LOL!

oh, and eat big and eat clean (no sugar, no alcohol)... do that and kill those legs, and you'll be pleasantly supprised w/ what happens...

oh, and at this point, you really shouldn't be in the gym longer than 30-45min.

Forrest
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:51 PM
mannish boy

Re: I have a question Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
I'm 18, 6'0 and bout 175lbs... dont know my Body Fat but I've been trying to lose weight and get tone... I've been working out for the last 3 months and lately I've been feeling a huge change emotionally... I go thru huge mood swings, I'll be raging one second and depressed the next, then someone will show up and I'll be happy... I also have noticed that I dont smile nemore... even when I'm happy... Is there a way to balance my ceretonin*sp* lvl or something so i'm not so moody? Also, when I spen tmost of my time infront of a computer programming I would be awake for 2 or 3 days at a time and then sleep for a good 20-30 hours and then repeat... Now I sleep bout 5-7 hours a day and I'm ALWAYS hungry... I want to be normal... I want to eat 3 times a day with a healthy snack in btw, and I want to be able to sleep 9-10 hours a day and I'm tired of being depressed every 5 seconds... I'd appreciate ne advice- Thx
dude, you're 18... you've got a LOT of natural testosterone pumping though you... don't worry too much about your mood swings and changes... everyone gets restless at your age and starts to become a little disillusioned with the world... you start to realize that life isn't a piece of cake... but dude, there's a reason you're hungry all the time!!! because your body wants that food!!!!

6'0" 175 is pretty good... even if you're not super lean and shreaded... you have the ability to do what a lot of guys my age wish they could go back and do... take advantage of that natural testosterone!!!

3 meals a day is designed to produce good wimpy little assembly line workers... if you want to be a friggin' animal, try to eat 5-6 clean "meals" a day w/ about 30-35g of protein a piece... don't get hung up on eating "low fat" or "lite" that's all bullshit... (ever notice that people who eat diet food are fat? that's because it's not balanced and makes you fat!)

work out hard and heavy, lots of squats, eat like you were getting paid to do it, and you'll fucking blow up!!! there's no better mood enhancment than looking in the mirror and seeing your muscles getting bigger!

hope you feel better man, but quit starving yourself!!! I never worked out and I ate like shit when I was at my peak testosterone producing age... it sucks knowing that realisticly, the only way to reach my full genetic potential is with a needle... don't pass up the opportunity you have now! you're probably moody cuz you're hungry!!

take care,

Forrest
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:55 PM
mannish boy

also, you were talking about sleep...

I know it's tough to do if you're wanting to party and stuff (which isn't good for growing!) but at your age, if you're lifting and trying to get big, you'll be wanting 8-10hrs of sleep/night... easier said than done, but get your rest man... there's an old saying that's as true now as the day it was first said:

"you rip the muscles in the gym, you rebuild them in the bed"

sleep is CRUICIAL to building muscle...

lots of people can get in there and push the weights... the hardest part IMHO is eating and sleeping properly!

Forrest
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by lilgeezy
hey whitecobra - since you are the answer dude can you thelp me? do you know of any at home test things you can do to determine (maybe not exactly but close) body fat percentage? or is it best to go to a doc to check all that out?
thanx
later
I'm not WhiteCobra, but I'll give this one a shot. There are several ways to measure bodyfat, but the most accesible to you would probably be the caliper test. It's not as simple as buying a set of skin fold calipers and pinching away (not to mention that a goo set of calipers can get a little pricey), so I'd suggest checking your gym or a local fitness shop to see if they have somebody schooled in how to take those measurements. I also know that Quad C up in Mckinney has a water-displacement tank (a bud of mine works up there). I haven't tried it personally, but you might check it out or see if a university close to you has on availableity. They also have and electrical impedence scale thats you might look around for, to see if a place near by has one. It's simpe to use and works by calculating your entered measurements (height/weight) and then sending a current (you can't feel it, it's not a "shock") from your hands out through your feet, and then calculates how long that took, as fat will impede that current more than lean mass will, giving you a fairly accurate reading. The most recent way I've had my body-fat tested was next door to my gym at Fitness Essentials. It's called the "bod-pod" and works by measuring the air your body displaces (among a few other things). You simply get weighed on a scale and then sit in this Mork & Mindy style pod for about sixty seconds while they type in parameters, and then they pop it open to give you the results. If you are anywhere near Plano I'll give you directions so you can check it out.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 11:28 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by lilgeezy
thanx
later
There is an online BF measure at Body Fat Estimator . I found this one, for me, it light by about .5%. Which ain't bad. When you do it and get the result, the "Ponderal Index" will be more accurate than the "waist size/height" measurement. If anything, use it as you diet, and make sure your "estimated body fat" is dropping in conjunction with your weight on the scale. You will always lose some lean mass when you diet, the trick is to keep it at a minimum. You don't want to lose 2 pounds in a week and find 1 1/2 pounds was lean mass!

I use a Tanita scale which are decently expensive. The one I have has an "athlete" mode and costs around $100. I think there is another that is a little less expensive.
Hydrostatic testing (dunking yourself in water and measuring displacement of the water) is highly accurate, but a pain in the butt. I got it done about 10 years ago at the Coopers Clinic. Big hassle here is that to get an accurate measurement, you need to fast for 24 hours (intake only liquids) and do an enema.

Someone who is highly experienced using calipers can give you a good estimate, but, in order to really get a good guess, it has to be done multiple times, with the same person (different people using calipers will always give you a different result).
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 11:33 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata

I also know that Quad C up in Mckinney has a water-displacement tank (a bud of mine works up there).

The most recent way I've had my body-fat tested was next door to my gym at Fitness Essentials.
Cool.

What does Quad C charge for hydrostatic testing? Have to be a member, etc?

Also, when you did the body pod, how accurate do you think it was and what did it run?
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
What does Quad C charge for hydrostatic testing? Have to be a member, etc?
I'll have to ask him, I'm not positive that it's open to the public, but given that it's a community college, I don't see why they wouldn't open it to the community.

Quote:
Also, when you did the body pod, how accurate do you think it was and what did it run?
I'd say the bod pod is fairly accurate, I would guestimate it to be within one percent bodyfat. Again I'll hafta ask next time I go in for what they charge. I've spent quite a bit in there since they opened and know the guy that runs it, so I got a free composition testing.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 03:50 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata

I'd say the bod pod is fairly accurate, I would guestimate it to be within one percent bodyfat. Again I'll hafta ask next time I go in for what they charge. I've spent quite a bit in there since they opened and know the guy that runs it, so I got a free composition testing.
Please find out. Where are they at?

I'd love to get a reference point on my Tanita scale. It appears fairly accurate, but varies alot depending on hydration levels.

For example, after a run, where I'm pretty dehydrated (despite drinking during the run), I'll show up as around 12%.

Late afternoon, after getting food in the system, bringing the hydration level back up, I'll be back down to 8-8.5%, which I
think is accurate.

I'd like to get down to around 6% for this up coming racing season. I'll be 39 in August, next year, I'll get to start in the new age group of 40-44 and looking to kick up on some old farts (oh, wait a minute, I'll be an old fart!)

I skipped all racing this year, to establish the best endurance base I could. Late fall/winter I'll start my stamina and speed training.

Late in the fall, I'd like to get the battery of tests done as a starting point, body fat, VO2Max, blood workup, etc. as a starting
point, getting into the masters level. Get it done once a year to
see how much capacity I'm losing, just because of age.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:39 AM
Newb

thanx 4 all da help both of u - it helped
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Lifer

When is the best time to eat your last meal of the day? I get off work at 5 and work out around 730, should I eat at 5 or right after my workout around 9?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:10 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by YoBro
When is the best time to eat your last meal of the day? I get off work at 5 and work out around 730, should I eat at 5 or right after my workout around 9?
A big part of that depends on when you sleep. When I was in my best shape, I wouldn't go to bed until 2 at the earliest, on my nights off, so I would eat my last meal around 11, usually. You don't want to eat right before you go to bed, personally I like to leave a couple hours between consumption and sleeping.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:16 AM
tex
Lifer

Re: I need help too

Quote:
I don't know how tall you are, but 16'' arms on a 200 lb frame is going to be pretty big, unless you're under 5'9 or so. When I graduated high school, I was 6'1, 205 at around 5-6% BF and my arms weren't ever measured, but I would bet they were smaller than 14''. If you were at 10% and came back up to 20%, I would assume that you gained a 'beer' belly, of some sort. If you've been working out steadily in that time, you might have a shot at only losing an inch or two when you cut the fat. If you can't, that's only more incentive to get in the gym and build.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:20 AM
mannish boy

also, keeping the carbs low nearer to the end of the day helps... carbs = energy, and you need that energy during the day... when you're sleeping it'll just make you fat (I'm bad about late carbs!)

a little won't hurt (like some whole wheat bread with a sandwich) but you don't want to how down on pasta or anything like that!

if you're trying to gain muscle, a high protein "meal" right before bed might help (hardcore guys sometimes have to wake up in the middle of the night and eat!) a tuna sandwich or turkey sandwich is good (just the meat would probably be better)

another key to a good workout diet is a multivitamin... I take the "One A Day" from Whole Foods... one before bed and one w/ breakfast... having the right vitamins/minerals in your body is essential as they are catalysts for the bodily functions you're wanting to happen... those and water of course... 2gal a day is a good rule of thumb IMHO.

Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement