Healthy Snacks - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Healthy Snacks

What are some good snacks (not including fruits/veggies) to eat that are not high in carbs? (and taste decent)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

cheese sticks, nuts (except cashews), atkins low carb chocolate bars, beef jerky, pork rinds...

I don't worry too much about carbs, since I swim about 5000 meters a day and lift 3x a week. My main concern is getting enuf calories to keep me from losing weight.

But, I know the Kroger store near me has an entire (almost entire) aisle dedicated to "diet foods", which I'm sure have lots
of low-carb snacks, since this is a very popular diet at the moment. I'm sure there are alot of soy (if you can handle it) type snacks of different varieties. Soy nuts, I heard, don't taste too too bad.

I'm pretty much at 55% cabs/35% protein/10% fat for about 4K calories a day.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Lifer

5000 meters a day ! Holy shit son are you trying out for the friggin' iron-man triathalon or what? How fast are you doing it in, how much do you weigh, known body-fat %?

Just a few question to quench the curiosity

Jerred

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:27 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
5000 meters a day ! Holy shit son are you trying out for the friggin' iron-man triathalon or what? How fast are you doing it in, how much do you weigh, known body-fat %?

Just a few question to quench the curiosity

Jerred
I'm about 170 at 8% now. I started lifting again to build weight back up to around 175, which would put me at 7% bodyfat, if I maintain the bodyfat as now.

5K is broken up into two sessions, a morning (5:30am, yuck!) session with a Masters swim team and a afternoon/evening one which is usually myself and my oldest daughter (who is 6).

The morning session is fairly intense and is usually 3-4K meters. Takes about an hour-hour and a quarter to complete, depending on the repeats and lengths.

We'll do a warmup of 500-800 meters, followed by some pulling (paddles on your hands, bouy on your legs) for 500-800 meters, then some kicks (fins and kick board) for 200 or so meters, followed by the main set which would consist of things like 10x50 meters on 1:00 (swim 50 meters, followed by rest, repeat on one minute), 10x100 meters on 1:45, etc. Followed by some cool down of 200 or so meters.

Pretty intense and definetly wakes you up. I'm usually home by 7:00am or so.

I'll do weights sometime around lunch (Tue/Thu/Sat), but I just started this back up in the past couple of weeks.

The evening work is a combination of getting my endurance in order and some time with my oldest daughter (she is 6). We'll do some warm up laps and then I'll swim a continuous 1-1.5K meters (18-19 minutes), while she'll do 25 m repeats. In competition, I'm hoping to bring the 1.5K meter time in under 17 minutes.

I'm just looking to compete again, as I approach my 40s (I'm 38). I'm giving myself this year to train, train, train and will start competing again in Masters swimming next year.

My oldest daughter has all the physical attributes to be a great swimmer, but I think she will end up becoming my ballet star. Its a struggle for her as she loves both, but both take a huge amount of time to move you to that *star* level. At 6, she is already 54 inches (4' 6") and 63 pounds, long legs and arms and broad shoulders. In a speedo she looks like a midget Janet Evans. People always mistake her for 8 or 9.

I used to tri in my 20s, but after marriage, 2 daughters (6 years and 18 months) and work, I've found the run/bike/swim/weights everyday took waaayyy too much time. I was working out 3-4 hours a day back then. Now, a more manageable 2 or so hours.

I work out of home for a Cali company, programming. Since I'm not spending 2 hours a day getting ready for work, commuting, etc., the 2 hours or so working out doesn't take away from "family time".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement