Hey weighlifters, come here for a minute. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Hey weighlifters, come here for a minute.

What happens to your chest if you NEVER do any decline presses? Only flat and incline? I am gonna change up some stuff, and I am thinking about doing nothing but dumbells for a while, including declines....

What do you think?

JC, when you coming back, man?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM
M0DERAT0R

That should be fine. I don't do declines or inclines and am still gaining body mass.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally posted by David Z28
That should be fine. I don't do declines or inclines and am still gaining body mass.
Start up a routine with JC and I, it could be worth a tenth in the 1/4 down the road!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Time Served

I think if you skip out on declines, you won't get that full roundness on the bottom. I use to just do inclines and flat bench and I liked the results just fine. Unless you're a perfectionist, don't sweat it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:19 PM
mannish boy

regular old pushups hit the lower pecs pretty good... I prefer cable flyes to decline press... decline always gives me a little tickle in the rotator cuff!

some exercises work better for some than others... if you can get a good pump off them, go for it, but you might like cable flyes better.

hth,

Forrest
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Hired Hand

Decline press is also a good mass building exercise. Done properly, you can push up a bit more weight than on flat or incline, as it recruits a bit deeper into the pec for the lift. I personally think every chest program should include some kind of lower pec movement, whether it be hammer press, cross-overs, decline bench, or even dips.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:50 PM
mannish boy

oooh good call... DIPS!!!

Forrest
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:27 PM

Dumbells!!!

Dumbells kick a lot of ass. I worked out wit them for about 4 months straight wit flat, decline, and incline. Definitely more of a challenge than just flat bar. The balance u have to maintain is insane. I got more size and strength off of them then just the flat bar. Maybe others dont like dumbells, but they worked real damn good for me and my other friends that worked out wit me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Lifer

I like dumbells too but I don't do my full workout with them. I just graduated highschool and never really did any sports with the school but I was always in the weight room this last year. My upper body consisted of bench, incline, decline, tri's, dips, fly's, curls and inverted curls (both with the curl bar and free dumbells), hammers, lat pulls, and a few others that I really have no idea what their names are but worked the hell out of your back and triceps. I weigh about 170 lbs. and I'm currently benching about 315-325 (getting close to double weight ).My incline goes about 275. I credit most of my muscle to dumbells because of the enormous balancing that most of you are talking about helps more than anything as long as you aren't overloading weight and doing the exercises right.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:20 AM

for sure!!

i was hitting about 185 a few times on my last set of flat bench. After starting out with dumbells at the 60's they've increased to the 105's for about 8 reps and repping 245 on the bar about 6 times. Ive only been working out since january and have gained a good amount of size and strength in my chest due to dumbells. I definitely recommend them, but thats just my opinion.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 01:00 AM
Foxaholic

The pec muscles fire together no matter what angle you are performing the exercise. Dumbells are the safest method and provide the best complete contraction other than a fly movement. There are many bodybuilders who never do declines. Peace out.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:33 PM
Lifer

declines give you the "cut " on the bottom of the pectoralis. I never use to do them. Started to target my lower pecs and now its made a nice improvement on my pecs. IMO it helps out to even out the size of the pecs too. Although I usually stick with cable crossovers and dips. Inclines are the ones that put a hurtin on my rotator cup. I hate using the barbell, but its good to still use it.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Foxaholic

Actually, losing bodyfat gives you the "cuts" that you are talking about... But, whatever works is what you should do. Some like them, some don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement