A little off topic...but, what does it take to be a 'nutritionist' and what is the $$ - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

A little off topic...but, what does it take to be a 'nutritionist' and what is the $$

Just curious...

All of this info I've been reading on ECA's, Creatine, etc..etc..etc.. has really grabbed my interest..

I'm at a point in my life where I need to decide WTF I want to be, and this seems interesting.

What kind of qualifications, school time, classes, etc?

What kind of jobs are there?

What kind of pay?

Maybe someone can help...

Thanks
Shawn

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Hired Hand

I'd imagine a bachelor's degree in nutrition would be the minimum, but then again, it's just about finding somebody willing to pay you.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:42 AM

at our gym we have two of the best trainer/dieticians in the area. they are both competitive bodybuilders. one has numerious degrees one in knesiology(sp) and one or two others. the other has no degree at all but has educated himself from trial and error, independent study and 10 years of competitive bodybuilding. they both put out very good subjects who 90% of the time reach their goals. if you know all your stuff you dont need any degrees but it realy helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:43 AM
Foxaholic

Actually, becoming a R.D. is achieved by taking an exam similar to the MCAT. It is not easy. There are thousands of applications for Nutritionist to work. I work with an R.D. and she makes dam good money. She has multiple Masters degrees including Nutrition and a B.S. in Biology. If you really want to become a Nutritionist... take some classes in nutrition at a junior college to find out if it is still something that you like. I would gamble that is not what you are thinking. Maybe I am wrong. I took about 40 hours at Texas A&M in Nutrition and then switched to Exercise Science. It is a very demanding profession that takes an amazing amount of dedication. Maybe it is for you. If you need some more info, PM me. I would be glad to help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:47 AM
Foxaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by bully1027
at our gym we have two of the best trainer/dieticians in the area.
What gym do you work out at in Temple? Are these "dieticians" actually R.D.'s? I am just curious.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:53 AM

no, one is not a registered diteician. i believe the other is. Toby Johnson is the one with the formal education and Mike Sheppard is the one with the experience form the sport of BB. he will be guest posing at the next show in the central texas area, it will be held in round rock, my friend from highschool will also be competing in his first noveic class since his Mr. Teen Texas winning streak that lasted 2-3 years. you can see him on hotbb.com i think thats the site.

i did not know in the first post that you were refering to a registered ditician and not just a ditecian/trainer. we also have many trainers at our gym who do it for a full time job and do well but it realy makes a diffrance in the money if you have formal certification. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement