I need a basic workout Schedule... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

I need a basic workout Schedule...

I started working out again a couple of weeks ago.....Now that I'm back in the swing of things I need a routine that'll help me burn some fat and build some muscle. I wanna keep more focus on upper body and cardio......Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Hired Hand

Find out how quickly your body recuperates and base your schedule on that. You say you only wanna focus on upper body, but working legs is a good way to gain over size and strength as well as bumping your BMR (basal metabolic rate) up a notch or two. No bodypart should be neglected, including calves, abs, and traps. Start out with working everything once a week an based on the kind of intensity you can give, you may need to hit everything twice a week until you can learn to burn.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man....I'll see what I can do and get back with ya in a month and a half

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Lifer

Here's a schedule I use...

Mondays: Chest+Tricep
Tuesdays: legs + glutes (no calves)
Wednesdays: Shoulders+Biceps
Thursdays:Calves + Abs
Fridays: Back
Saturday:Heavy Cardio (3miles or more)+Abs again...

I usually go light one week with high reps, and heavy the next with low reps.

I do 4 sets...

I usually start with a light weight, and do 12-15 reps, then I increase the weight 10-20lbs per set and lower the reps by about 2 or 3.

I try not to go under 6 reps with the heaviest weight (the 4th set) on the light week, and I try to get at least 3 on the heavy week...

And everyday I run at least 30 minutes or a mile and a half, whichever comes first. If I dont run, I play basketball for about an hour in the 95* Sun...

Playahata, what do you think of this? I just started about two weeks ago, does it seem ok?

Let me know
Shawn

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

here is what i do.. i like it.. but to each his own..
mon:shoulders/tris
tues:back/bi's
wed: legs
sat:chest/bis.

cardio on every day i work out.. thursdays and sundays
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
here is what i do.. i like it.. but to each his own..
mon:shoulders/tris
tues:back/bi's
wed: legs
sat:chest/bis.

cardio on every day i work out.. thursdays and sundays
Do you get good results working each section out only once per week? I know you need to let your muscles recoup between workouts but is a week necessary This sounds like the type of workout I'm looking for though......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SLP007

Do you get good results working each section out only once per week? I know you need to let your muscles recoup between workouts but is a week necessary This sounds like the type of workout I'm looking for though......
I believe there are some studies that suggest once a week is good, but I think it really depends on how fast your body recovers. At first it's going to take a while. After a couple weeks, I'd recover in a little over a day, and work the same group every third day. I didn't always stick to it though (I'm bad about schedules). At the time I was doing this (plus eating a lot of protein) was my biggest growth phase. From September to January, I gained almost 20 lbs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SLP007

i train every set and muscle group pretty much to complete failure. and then do a negative or a forced rep. if you look at my sets/reps/weight it is pretty apparent that i over train. BUT, i give my body plenty of rest and for me this method works.. i hit a muscle group incredibly hard and then it rests.. it takes about 5-6 days for a muscle group to hit peak recovery, and on day 6-7 it starts slowing down and starts to begin the down cycle of no growth, and then i hit it again. Also.. you have to remember, even though i only hit theym directly once a week, they all get hit indirectly.. IE sat i so chest/bis.. on mondayi do shoulders and triceps which indirectly hits chest ( hits your pectoralis minor on some of the shoulder lifts and pectoralis major in a secondary manner when doing close grip bench press and skull crushers)

i do biceps twice a week. on sat i do all my concentrated motions, IE concentrated movements on the preacher curl bench, where as on tuesdays i do more free standing movements. Legs i completely destroy on weds, Quads, hams andc calfs, so a week rest is whats called for.
d.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning

i train every set and muscle group pretty much to complete failure. and then do a negative or a forced rep. if you look at my sets/reps/weight it is pretty apparent that i over train. BUT, i give my body plenty of rest and for me this method works.. i hit a muscle group incredibly hard and then it rests.. it takes about 5-6 days for a muscle group to hit peak recovery, and on day 6-7 it starts slowing down and starts to begin the down cycle of no growth, and then i hit it again. Also.. you have to remember, even though i only hit theym directly once a week, they all get hit indirectly.. IE sat i so chest/bis.. on mondayi do shoulders and triceps which indirectly hits chest ( hits your pectoralis minor on some of the shoulder lifts and pectoralis major in a secondary manner when doing close grip bench press and skull crushers)

i do biceps twice a week. on sat i do all my concentrated motions, IE concentrated movements on the preacher curl bench, where as on tuesdays i do more free standing movements. Legs i completely destroy on weds, Quads, hams andc calfs, so a week rest is whats called for.
d.

Good advice by all..... I'll put these routines into motion and see what works for me.......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnQ
Here's a schedule I use...

Mondays: Chest+Tricep
Tuesdays: legs + glutes (no calves)
Wednesdays: Shoulders+Biceps
Thursdays:Calves + Abs
Fridays: Back
Saturday:Heavy Cardio (3miles or more)+Abs again...

I usually go light one week with high reps, and heavy the next with low reps.

I do 4 sets...

I usually start with a light weight, and do 12-15 reps, then I increase the weight 10-20lbs per set and lower the reps by about 2 or 3.

I try not to go under 6 reps with the heaviest weight (the 4th set) on the light week, and I try to get at least 3 on the heavy week...

And everyday I run at least 30 minutes or a mile and a half, whichever comes first. If I dont run, I play basketball for about an hour in the 95* Sun...

Playahata, what do you think of this? I just started about two weeks ago, does it seem ok?

Let me know
Shawn
Sounds like a good plan, just keep an eye on how your body is reacting and tweak your number of reps and intensity to keep the body growing. This general plan is good, but don't get yourself into a "groove", keep changing the specific exercises and intensities. ALWAYS watch form over weight.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement