Runners ? on preventing shin splints - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Runners ? on preventing shin splints

Do any of ya'll that run on a regular basis have any favorite workouts to strengthen your lower legs? I'm taking my training slow, but I want to be back to running 30 or more miles a week by December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Lifer

There are stretches you can do before/after running to prevent shin splints. Google it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If you run on concrete sidewalks/roads move to dirt trails until the pain subsides. Ice 20 minutes a day a 2-3 times a day, take some ibuprofen and stop running until the pain subsides.

As far as stopping shin splints from reoccurring as long as they aren't being caused by stress fractures (only a doctor can tell you) look at your shoes first. You may need some more cushioning or support.

If you continually get them and the doctor says there are no stress fractures I'd say:

1. Make sure you have a decent shoe suitable for your foot.
2. Look at neoprene sleeves or compression socks for your lower leg or tape prior to running. Google taping for shin splints.
3. Warm up with either slow slow running or walking followed up with streching prior to your workout.

In terms of icing what I do for leg icing is get a dixie cup and fill it with water and put a popsicle stick in it. When I want to ice I grab the cup out of the freezer and move it back and forth over the area. Works great.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Very Interesting

shoes make a big difference, so does not being fat (or so i hear)

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
WTF is Zed?

I've always had shin splints and it drove me nuts. I would only be about to jog for 10-15 minutes before my shins would light on fire. I would have to stop and take walking breaks before even I broke a sweat or really got my heart rate up.

If I kept with the running, they would get less painful over time, but not by much. But I would be able to run at least 5K without having to stop. Never able to run pain free though.

That is until I got my Five Fingers. No bullshit I felt a difference the very first time I ran in them. I still had pain in my shins, but it felt different, more like muscle soreness. After 2-3 weeks I was running 100% pain free (running 5K 4-5 times per week). I think the soreness I was feeling at first was really mostly muscle. My stride changed wearing them (can't jog landing on your heels with no soles) and with flat footing and "active" toes I think I was immediately engaging muscles that I typically wouldn't.

Anyway, they helped me out a lot. Best running shoe I've ever worn. I love them for legs days at the gym too.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
I've always had shin splints and it drove me nuts. I would only be about to jog for 10-15 minutes before my shins would light on fire. I would have to stop and take walking breaks before even I broke a sweat or really got my heart rate up.

If I kept with the running, they would get less painful over time, but not by much. But I would be able to run at least 5K without having to stop. Never able to run pain free though.

That is until I got my Five Fingers. No bullshit I felt a difference the very first time I ran in them. I still had pain in my shins, but it felt different, more like muscle soreness. After 2-3 weeks I was running 100% pain free (running 5K 4-5 times per week). I think the soreness I was feeling at first was really mostly muscle. My stride changed wearing them (can't jog landing on your heels with no soles) and with flat footing and "active" toes I think I was immediately engaging muscles that I typically wouldn't.

Anyway, they helped me out a lot. Best running shoe I've ever worn. I love them for legs days at the gym too.
/Thread
i love my kso five fingers.. i wish i would have taken before and after pictures of my calf muscles in just a couple months it is rediculous how much bigger/stronger and defined my calfs are when you actually use them like nature intended. i would recamend them to anyone.. they are bar none the best running shoes i have ever had.. i wish i had these earlier in the marine corp when shin splints kicked my ass from all the running we did!

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Time Served

stretch and warm up. on off run days do like calf raises and jump rope barefoot. I am wanting to get me some vibram five fingers also. I got rid of shin splints and plantar fascitis by doing things associated with natural movements instead of using orthotics. Think about it, when your arm or leg is in a cast for some time what happens to it? It sure doesnt become stronger
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post

now while i'm not advocating you go out and buy some five fingers.... its not bad advice. I ran cross country and track for 6 years back in school and then some thereafter. 6-8 miles before school started was not out of the question. i ran with shin splints for the first 5... stretches and homeopathic remedies did nothing. The only thing that helped was the right kind of shoe for me. Didn't find that out until I went to a running store and they put me on a treadmill with a camera. Turns out I overpronate, and they said I needed one of 3 shoes, those shoes made all the difference. Two weeks later all my pain was gone and running was so much better. Find out what shoes are right for you, not all shoes are the same, the five fingers are actually cheaper than the mizuno's i've been getting and will probably try them next.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Time Served

I have the same problem when I don't run for months.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Worship me

Being a heavier guy I had shin splints for the longest time when I started running. This was about five years ago. I had never ran for exercise before. Which shoes I wore made a big difference. Also, doing calf and toe raises with weights seemed to help. I never iced them or anything, mostly I just kept running no matter how bad it hurt I just made my goals and eventually they went away.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Being a heavier guy I had shin splints for the longest time when I started running. This was about five years ago. I had never ran for exercise before. Which shoes I wore made a big difference. Also, doing calf and toe raises with weights seemed to help. I never iced them or anything, mostly I just kept running no matter how bad it hurt I just made my goals and eventually they went away.
Yeah, but you eat sawdust and drink gasoline. Your shin splints in comparison must be like the rest of us rubbing a running chainsaw down our shins.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Yeah, but you eat sawdust and drink gasoline. Your shin splints in comparison must be like the rest of us rubbing a running chainsaw down our shins.
Actually it hurt like a mother fucker a lot of the time. But I don't drink gasoline, I just use it to pour it on my head while I run. Whiskey is for drinking.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I got shin splints bad this summer while practicing for sevens rugby due to the increased volume of running. Icing after activity and stretching my calves before activity helped.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Lifer

ok so not to hijack this thread or anything... but how does one go about getting the RIGHT pair of shoes? Someone mentioned a running store doing some test on a treadmill and slo-mo camera... is this a common thing? Never heard of it before, but I don't think my Nike Shox are worth a shit...

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Very Interesting

There are places like Run On! and Luke's Locker that will evaluate your running style.

I think Luke's Locker does the video deal.

Nike Shox are horrible shoes for running.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Lifer

What are good shoes to run in? I need to start running and have never found comfortable running shoes.

I have had shin splints since I was in middle school. But I have always run on concrete it seems like.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
What are good shoes to run in? I need to start running and have never found comfortable running shoes.
Really depends on the way you run, and your foot. Asics, New Balance, etc. I remember when NB were like Jordache shoes. You wouldn't be caught dead in them.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Really depends on the way you run, and your foot. Asics, New Balance, etc. I remember when NB were like Jordache shoes. You wouldn't be caught dead in them.
I almost got my ass kicked in middle school once for wearing British Knights.

BK
Blood Killer.

Retarded ass shit.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Asics Gels are the shit. My parents actually bought some for me back when I lived with them b/c they saw that my running shoes had gone to hell, and holy shit it made a huge difference. I was using adidas running shoes doing about a mile and a half a day and my feet would be in pain. After a couple of months in the Asics I was doing 4.5 miles with plenty left in the tank, feet feeling good, just tired of running around the whole neighborhood twice.

Although I bought a new pair of Asics I still have those old ones for doing yard work. I hear New Balances are good, but they're too damned expensive.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM

I've had them off and on since the corps too... the neoprene wraps help me tremendously.

ttp://supportsusa.com/googleshopping...t_wrap442.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement