Working out on empty stomach? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Working out on empty stomach?

Is it better to work out on an empty stomach or after a light meal?

Here's the deal, I quit my job about a week ago and plan on taking a little time off and just go to EMT school and not work for a month or so. I'm trying to get back into working out so this morning was my first time back in the gym in about a month after a month of being very unhealthy. Well, I figured I'd drink a protein shake and a pre-workout supplement about 30 minutes before heading to the gym. Well, about 45 minutes into working out I started burping a lot and could taste nothing but protein and Jack3d. Quickly walked over to the bathroom, and never threw up, but spent about 5 minutes leaning over the toilet, spitting, and expecting more.

Now, the only reason I ask this is because I kinda feel this was more of a food deal than an out of shape deal. I used to always take my protein and stuff after working out in the afternoons after work or during my lunch break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
wishin i had a fast car

protein shakes make my stomach do funny things also. i would wait till after my workout. im sure its frowned upon to puke on the gym equiptment.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I am a Motherfucker

When I dont down a shake before my workout I only make it about an hour. When I have a shake before I can go for 3.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Is it better to work out on an empty stomach or after a light meal?
Well, I figured I'd drink a protein shake and a pre-workout supplement about 30 minutes before heading to the gym. Well, about 45 minutes into working out I started burping a lot and could taste nothing but protein and Jack3d. .
First question is how much protein and second is how much water are you mixing it with. 1 scoop with 8 oz of water about 30 - 45 minutes before will do it. If your preworkout is also a mix, throw it in with the protein and add a little more water. It
s gonna be nasty but you aren't doing it for your taste buds.

Alternately, take your protein an hour before and take preworkout around 30 minutes prior.

You can probably find some middle ground here, but you need that protein and some carbs in your system.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
First question is how much protein and second is how much water are you mixing it with. 1 scoop with 8 oz of water about 30 - 45 minutes before will do it. If your preworkout is also a mix, throw it in with the protein and add a little more water. It
s gonna be nasty but you aren't doing it for your taste buds.

Alternately, take your protein an hour before and take preworkout around 30 minutes prior.

You can probably find some middle ground here, but you need that protein and some carbs in your system.
8oz of 2% milk, with two scoops of protein powder (60g's).
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 PM
T-MINUS

Are you trying to lose weight? Your body will burn what is in your stomach first. If you go on an empty stomach and work out it is a good way to burn fat, but can be brutal.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Nobody

Quote:
8oz of 2% milk, with two scoops of protein powder (60g's).
Two scoops is too much. That would be like a paste mixed with just 8 oz of milk. You just answered yourself. Cut back to one scoop with water.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Two scoops is too much. That would be like a paste mixed with just 8 oz of milk. You just answered yourself. Cut back to one scoop with water.
Or just add in more water/milk!
I mix 3-4 scoops with about 40oz of water.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Or just add in more water/milk!
I mix 3-4 scoops with about 40oz of water.
Yeah, but your body can process it. You regularly take in 60 plus grams per meal. His body isn't ready for that yet.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM
Lifer

I switch- sometimes I have a protein shake before( 8oz with 0% milk) and sometimes I drink it after. I've noticed that when I do have one before I work out I can go for 2+hours.. when I dont, I usually last an hour/hour in a half. I've always wondered what was best, to drink before or after, I've heard both..so thanks for posting this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, but your body can process it. You regularly take in 60 plus grams per meal. His body isn't ready for that yet.
Oh, I agree completely.
I was just trying to get at... diluting the protein a bit more is all.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Oh, I agree completely.
I was just trying to get at... diluting the protein a bit more is all.
Yeah, I was thinking he was taking two separate "shakes" one for protein, then one for his preworkout, which would be a lot to have in your stomach 30 minutes before a workout. The two scoops with 8oz's is likely the culprit. But you are right, diluting it would make a big difference so it's not just a ball of glue in his stomach.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
I switch- sometimes I have a protein shake before( 8oz with 0% milk) and sometimes I drink it after. I've noticed that when I do have one before I work out I can go for 2+hours.. when I dont, I usually last an hour/hour in a half. I've always wondered what was best, to drink before or after, I've heard both..so thanks for posting this.
Both is best, but you really need protein and carbs before a good workout. Cardio however, is another story.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Nah, the protein I take mixes really well. It's not like putting 2 scoops of muscle milk or something in it. It's nice and thin. 1g of fat per serving minus the milk.

Well, I waited till after my workout to take it, and I feel a ton better. So I think I'll stick with that. I might try taking in solid food before working out, like some egg whites or something.

I went for a short run last night (1 mile) and think that I'll probably stick with doing weights and cardio seperately until I get in a little better shape before trying both at the same time.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
tex
Lifer

I personally can't workout for shit with liquid protein in my stomach. Solid foods I don't have a problem with, but liquids make me nauseous.

BTW, since you use pre-workout stimulants, I'd avoid the cardio after lifting. Stims & cardio don't mix well.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Both is best, but you really need protein and carbs before a good workout. Cardio however, is another story.
??

Sometimes I take in carbs before going to the gym but not every day-
My workout is always different, I'm not a professional so I may not be doing it "right" but here's an example-
Mon.- All cardio
Tues.- 20-30 mins of cardio then weights for 20-30 mins(arms/chest)
Weds.-Weights(legs/abs/arms)
Thurs.- Weights and cardio (mixed)
etc etc... I TRY to workout atleast 5 days a week. I was doing good for 2 months, then stopped for 2 weeks(only went a few days in the 2 week period) and now I'm back at it. I just need motivation...

-Sorry if I hijacked the thread-didn't mean to..
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Nobody

If doing cardio to lose weight, and not for actual cardiovascular endurance, it's best done on an empty stomach right after you wake up. It's tough to do when living a normal life. Also, most people frown upon doing cardio before lifting because of the decrease in strength.

So it creates a problem, do you do cardio on empty stomach, take protein and lift with decreased strength, or take protein, lift, then cardio? I have always done the latter with great success. While running, I sip on a concoction of orange gatorade and vanilla syntha 6. It's a unique flavor. I down whatever is left when I am done running.

Everyone is different, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone disagrees, but like I said, after doing this for 15 years, this is what I have found to work for me.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
??

Sometimes I take in carbs before going to the gym but not every day-
My workout is always different, I'm not a professional so I may not be doing it "right" but here's an example-
Mon.- All cardio
Tues.- 20-30 mins of cardio then weights for 20-30 mins(arms/chest)
Weds.-Weights(legs/abs/arms)
Thurs.- Weights and cardio (mixed)
etc etc... I TRY to workout atleast 5 days a week. I was doing good for 2 months, then stopped for 2 weeks(only went a few days in the 2 week period) and now I'm back at it. I just need motivation...

-Sorry if I hijacked the thread-didn't mean to..
You've only posted twice so you're good. One more though and I'll kill you.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You've only posted twice so you're good. One more though and I'll kill you.
LMFAO!
-Don't kill me
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Solids before the workout for me as far as protein/food goes. I take a pre-workout powder though. After I usually drink chocolate milk or my protein shake. I sip water most of the workout as well.

There is so much B.S. out there as far as supplements go, do what feels right for your body and read a scientifically proven article, not one that is in your Muscle and Fitness. Everyone will react differently.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
If doing cardio to lose weight, and not for actual cardiovascular endurance, it's best done on an empty stomach right after you wake up. It's tough to do when living a normal life. Also, most people frown upon doing cardio before lifting because of the decrease in strength.

So it creates a problem, do you do cardio on empty stomach, take protein and lift with decreased strength, or take protein, lift, then cardio? I have always done the latter with great success. While running, I sip on a concoction of orange gatorade and vanilla syntha 6. It's a unique flavor. I down whatever is left when I am done running.

Everyone is different, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone disagrees, but like I said, after doing this for 15 years, this is what I have found to work for me.

I run within 30 minutes of waking up on a semi-empty stomach. I drink about 8 oz of water and that's it. As soon as I return I consume my protein drink (because what's the difference really? It's still in your stomach before/during and after each workout anyway, right?)

Anytime I go to workout whether it's weights or cardio, I can NOT do anything on a full stomach. I will certainly vomit shortly after beginning so I choose not to. Perhaps I should try a smaller portion and see more bang for my workout buck?

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
English Master

You have to have some sort of food/shake in your system before working out. Body will need some kind of nutrition for energy.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
English Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
I run within 30 minutes of waking up on a semi-empty stomach. I drink about 8 oz of water and that's it. As soon as I return I consume my protein drink (because what's the difference really? It's still in your stomach before/during and after each workout anyway, right?)

Anytime I go to workout whether it's weights or cardio, I can NOT do anything on a full stomach. I will certainly vomit shortly after beginning so I choose not to. Perhaps I should try a smaller portion and see more bang for my workout buck?
Trying eating only palm size meal before working out
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yay! Made it everyday this week (Mon-Fri). Might go get in some extra cardio tomorrow. Just did legs today, and I'll see how well I walk tomorrow before I make any decisions.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Yay! Made it everyday this week (Mon-Fri). Might go get in some extra cardio tomorrow. Just did legs today, and I'll see how well I walk tomorrow before I make any decisions.
Congrats!!

How'd ya do last week?

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Congrats!!

How'd ya do last week?
I didn't the first week after quitting my job, but I've been everyday with the exception of labor day (out of town) and this past Sunday(lazy). So in 16 days, I've been 14 of them.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

As you said, cardio first thing in the morning is best, but if you have to do it all during a lifting session, lifting then cario is the way to go. The reason is two-fold. First you get to use your glycogen stores to lift heavier weights, and then once that is depleted with the weight training, your body goes straight to burning fat without having to bur through the glycogen first when you start cardio.

To do it the other way around your body will take longer to get into the fat-burning zone, thus less fat will be processed as fuel, and you'll then have nothing in your muscles to push the weight up with.

As for the OP's question about an empty stomach, I usually don't eat for at least an hour before I lift, but that's not to say that I have an empty stomach when I hit the gym. The goal is to have fuel for your muscles all day long, as if you truly have an empty stomach your body will go into starvation mode, your body will then store fat for the percieved long-term famine, and use muscle for energy.

All the times I have successfully dieted without adversely affecting strength I was never hungry. If you do it right your body will have ample nutrition, and still turn to fat for energy when requested. It may not be as quick as a fad diet, but it's alot healthier, and usually the progress is more long-term.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
English Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
As you said, cardio first thing in the morning is best
Cardio is also good before dinner as your metabolism will be working like a fueled fire when its time to eat dinner. Breaking down dinner will be twice as fast. Who jog/runs a few minutes before lifting to get the heart rate up and blood flowing faster. I like to do a 15 minute jog before working out.

Last edited by LINCOLN BOY; 09-20-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement