Paleo diet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Paleo diet

Anyone doing it? I picked up the book and I thought it was pretty impressive. Now I'm at the point where I need to go out and buy the food for the diet?

So I was wondering if anyone follows this diet and if there is a simplified shopping list. I'm not a big cooker and none of the recipies seemed that simple.

If anyone knows let me know I want to get this kicked off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

http://cfscceat.blogspot.com/

I do paleo (w/some dairy). Enjoy it and its something I find I can stay on without major killer cravings.

I like using the above website. Paleo is fairly forgiving cuz you don't need fancy ingredients and the food is really clean. Especially the grass fed free range protein sources.

Karen

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Great Link, thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
not exclude

Simplified shopping list: Stay on the outside of the grocery store. Only allow yourself trips down certain isles (e.g. spices)

When you are starting Paleo, it's easiest to go meal by meal. Pick a few meals you will be eating the next couple of days, list the ingredients needed and that's your shopping list. Add in some of the recommended snacks and you're good to go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Lifer

I've always ate on the healthier side, but would pig out on some of the not so good stuff at least 1-2 times a week.

I started a version of this, basically if you can't kill it, grow it, or catch it, don't eat it. No processed foods at all, for damn sure no fast food.

I'm a skinny fat person (working on that!) and the last two weeks I've been doing this and I've seen my belly go down a lot from doing this and am I starting to see more muscle definition in my torso.

I sleep better, break out less, I highly recommend it. When I eat any junk food (I've only had a slice of Pizza that I can remember) my stomach starts to feel all nasty.

01 GT Vert.... FINALLY!!!! "They Ain't 20's but I keep 'em clean"

Texas State women are *too* down!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
What the fuck is going on?! White people are not supposed to be treated this way!

4gifs.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
http://cfscceat.blogspot.com/

I do paleo (w/some dairy). Enjoy it and its something I find I can stay on without major killer cravings.

I like using the above website. Paleo is fairly forgiving cuz you don't need fancy ingredients and the food is really clean. Especially the grass fed free range protein sources.

Karen
All of those recipes/ideas are considered paleolithic cuisine/diet? Most of those look amazing. Maybe I've found an eating strategy I can actually stick with!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Time Served

Go check out Robb Wolf's blog. http://robbwolf.com/ He's a biochemist, champion power lifter, and now nutritionist. He's a student of Dr. Cordain's (I'm assuming that's the book you're talking about) and has extended it to be more applicable to the nutritional needs of serious athletes.

He's got his own book due out in a couple of weeks that I'm looking forward to. I'm on week 9 of a 12 week Zone challenge through my CF box, but as soon as that's over, I plan on going as paleo as work/family schedules allow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Most of the "proof" behind it is still considered pseudo-science in the genetic field and the creator got railed for basically taking an old idea and putting their name on it, but all that said, it's not a bad diet. You feel really good once you switch to mainly burning complex/starchy carbs and will most definitely lose body fat if you stick to it, but that's not really new. Any low cal, low carb diet that focuses on no refined/sugars/fats is going to do a decent job. The main talking point I saw about paleo vs generic high protein diet is the fact that strict paleo recommends no dairy products.

I normally don't recommend wikipedia but the page on paleo is not too bad and does a good job at citing the sources of criticism and praise. I suggest you give it a look to consider some of the possible deficiencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

'07 350Z
'90 Firebird Formula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement