Boot Camps? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
I'm over it!

Boot Camps?

Why do they make them during working hours and during the week?

Does anyone know of any weekend boot camps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Lifer

Our boot camp is 7:15pm that is a time where most people don't work. I just posted about it a little bit ago.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Lifer

there is a free crossfit one in north arlington on saturdays at like 7 or 9 in the morning.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
there is a free crossfit one in north arlington on saturdays at like 7 or 9 in the morning.
You want to go? Is it that same lady?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
You want to go? Is it that same lady?
word

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
T-MINUS

They are generally geared towards housewives.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Here to stay

anyone know of one in the Duncanville, Cedar Hill area?

-carlos
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Yeah i noticed!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
T-MINUS

Who don't necessarily 'work' and have free time to undo the free time they previously had that made them fat.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
drvng fstr thn u w/1 hand

Quote:
Sounds like the majority of the board should attend then!

Near the end of my training days, I geared my work to these particular "housewives" I got paid well, and it was easy work. My upfront cost in mobile equip was the only shitty part. I'd more than make up for it in 2 sessions.

I would never tell people that I've worked with this....
But if I was in the position that many are in. I'd do my research on great workout setups and techniques... Get a bunch of friends together and have each of them buy their own equipment. Then go find a middle/high school that allows the public on their track and bleachers.

Results:
It's friendly, cheap, competetive, supported, and everyone knows each other so they can be themselves. Often times people will try harder to be on time if they've got a support network.

If you can get someone to step up to the plate and lead.... helping with group cohesion, *which is usually my role, or someone running your (paid for) boot camp* then you have basically made your own boot camp.

Learn the Basics in calisthenics.... I'm gonna quote cause typing w/ 1 hand is a B*tch.

Lunges

Performed by bringing one leg forward and almost kneeling on the back leg. Once the front leg creates a perfect 90 degree angle you stand up and alternate legs. Keeping your back straight and chest out is important for proper form. There are many variations for lunges.

Jumping jacks

Performed by jumping to a position with the legs spread wide and the hands touching overhead and then returning to a position with the feet together and the arms at the sides.

Sit-ups

Performed by lying down with the back on the floor, knees bent, and bottoms of feet against the floor. The shoulders are then lifted off the floor by tightening abdominal muscles and bringing the chest closer to the knees. The final movement is to lower the back to the floor with a smooth movement. This trains the abdominal muscles.

Crunches

Like the sit-up, except instead of bringing the whole torso area closer to the knees, only a concentrated but shorter movement of the abdominals is performed. Shoulder blades are lifted off the floor, and abdominals tightened.

Push-ups

Performed face down on the floor, palms against floor under the shoulders, toes curled upwards against the floor. The arms are used to lift the body while maintaining a straight line from head to heel. The arms of the subject should go from fully extended in the high position to nearly fully flexed in the low position, while the subject makes sure to avoid resting on the floor. Resting is only done in the high position of the exercise. Chest, shoulders, and triceps are trained with this exercise.

Pull-ups

An overhead bar (sometimes called a chin-up bar) is grasped using a shoulder-width overhand (palms facing forward) grip. The subject lifts their body up, chin level with the bar, and keeping the back straight throughout. The bar remains in front of the subject at all times. The subject then slowly returns to starting position in a slow controlled manner. This primarily trains the lats or upper back muscles, as well as the forearms. An underhand grip variation or chin-up trains both the back and biceps.

Squats

Standing with feet shoulder width apart, the subject squats down as far as possible, bringing the arms forward parallel to the floor. The subject then returns to standing position. Squats train the quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, and gluteals.

Calf-raises

Standing on a platform with an edge where the heels can hang (e.g. a curb), lift the body on the balls of the feet. The subject then slowly returns to starting position. This trains the gastrocnemius. A seated calf-raise trains the soleus.

Dips

Done between parallel bars or facing either direction of trapezoid bars found in some gyms. Feet are crossed with either foot in front and the body is lowered until the elbows are in line with the shoulders. The subject then pushes up until the arms are fully extended, but without locking the elbows. Dips focus primarily on the chest, triceps, and deltoids.

This all can be achieved by objects around a track. Benchs/bleachers/steps/track

Things to buy. (quick links, not necessarily best price)

Yoga mat if you dont want to get a little dirty.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...367453.2812888
Medicine ball
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...goryId=2812890
Weights!
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...367453.2622932

Learn simple/complex movements with your weights

Complex training involves a number of exercises performed in succession. During this time you will need to keep the weight exactly the same so that you can move fluidly from one exercise to the next. Because of this lack of a break period, you will increase your metabolism sufficiently so that the routine is more comparable with a high intensity interval training cardio session.

After choosing the exercises that you will perform, you will want to complete all of your specified reps for one exercise and then move to the next immediately afterward. It is not an alternating type of protocol where you would perform a squat movement, then an overhead press movement, followed by another squat movement then an overhead press and so on. Rather, you would do all of your squats, then move directly into your overhead press reps.

This type of workout is incredibly demanding on the body in terms of metabolic processes and recovery, so you will definitely need to keep that in mind. The weight you are using will need to be reduced drastically from the amount you would normally lift, particularly as you are reaching the end of the complex series when both your muscular and nervous system are likely to be extremely fatigued. Don't try and be macho for these exercises -- less really is more when it comes to complexes.

Truly this + a track is more than enough to provide many many workouts without it becoming repetitive and boring. Educate yourself (I believe everyone should) and save yourself the dollars. Get out there and do it with co workers/friends and make it fun. Add in cardio, keep records and watch the transformation unfold.

The only reason why I became certified was cause others are too lazy and are willing to pay. If you're not one of those people then research or ask and get out there and do it yourself!

I practice what I preach! Even in frigid temps

It took a while to type this up, and I may have gotten off subject.... But umm after the effort I don't give a shit! Any questions please ask.

Tony

militarysignatures.com

*SOLD*'04 Mystic Chrome Cobra
*SOLD*'03 DSG Lightning #55 of 4270

'94 Cobra
408 with a Vortech YSI strapped to it and all the goodies.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Generally is a good statement, because the MEN in our bootcamp are all 200+ lbs and less than 12% body fat. We smash the weights in a circuit style lift routine with some plyo's thrown in . The wives in our group are all fit, we all do the same exercises but the amount of weight that we push is all different. It is the best hour worth of lifting on my Monday and Wednesday. Not to mention it is a TEAM like atmosphere where you push each other.

For example we will do bench press on a swiss ball with 100 lb DB's for a minute. They guy in front of me pushes out 14 reps, tells me what he got then I go for 16. I just came off the concept 2 rower for a minute and jump right in. It is amazing the motivation you get from these people, that actually want to be there. I encourage the meat heads to come!!!

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement