New to working out - what routine(s) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

New to working out - what routine(s)

So I've really started to put on some weight. Figured at my job walking up the flights of stairs would be a good workout, but it's been winding just to hit 3 flights.

So I joined the Frisco Athletic Center this weekend.

I'm 5'8.5" and weigh 205lbs (32yrs old). I'm kinda "solid" and most don't think I'm that heavy, but I have a bit of a beer belly. I've been the one to eat whatever I wanted when I wanted and I've always had a fondness for beer - usually 3-5 per day depending... I rarely drink soda and drink a lot of water throughout the day.

Anyways, I've decided that I need to get back down to a healthy "ideal" weight of around 180. At the same time I've also thought about adding a bit of mass as well - what that weight range is, I have no clue.

I've been working out early in the morning for the past two days and have been eating right since Sunday. I know it's short lived so far, but I actually feel much better and feel like I'm doing my job better this week as a result. I'm trying to hover around 2k calories a day.

The only downside is I have no clue really how to work out...

I did 1.5 miles to start @ 6mph on the treadmill, then thought I should knock out some weight training briefly so I did 3x 10 reps of 80-100lbs on the military press machine.

Today I did 2 miles @ 6mph, the same reps on the military press machine and an added 20 weighted reps of a reverse sit up, I guess you can say.

I'm quite certain there are far better things I could be doing - anyone have any good routines/schedules that may help achieve what I'm looking to do? I believe I'll never have a 6 pack but dropping fat while adding a bit of strength/mass isn't a bad thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Nobody

Google rippetoes. Its a great starting point or even plateau buster.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Google rippetoes. Its a great starting point or even plateau buster.
www.startingstrength.com

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
great website, thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
great website, thanks!

Same boat checking in! LOL

It was suggested to me that the best way to burn fat by way of running, is to run for about 4-5 minutes, and then walk 1...

Since I've joined a gym, the inside track is 13 laps to a mile. So I run 4 laps, walk 1, run 4 walk 1 up to 3-4 miles a day. The idea is that keeping your cardio on a roller coaster gets your body to burn more fat during your daily run. Fobra was the one who suggested doing so, and he can put it much better than I can, but just cranking out a straight run burns less overall. Again this is from what I've been told by those who are much more versed in exercise than I.

Also it has been suggested that you need to kick start your metabolism. Tex posted an awesome thread on "things you need to know" that is very informative, https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420258 and I've received excellent/helpful answers on the few threads I've posted here as well.

Also, you can PM me if you would like to find out more about the supplements I've been introduced to that have truly made a world of difference in my life. Sean88gt is the one who pointed me to the products I currently take, they include an herbal cleanse for the first 10 days, vitamins/minerals/protein, antioxidant booster, etc etc etc. His wife is a nutritionist and has provided me with a wealth of knowledge... Ask Ask Ask!!! and Good Luck!!! If I can do this, ANYONE can!!!

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass

Last edited by mutherjuggz; 08-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Lifer

Spartacus workout 3 times a week. I would not recommend if you aren't in some type of shape. I played HS Football, Track, Wrestling, and Basketball, did light working out for 3 years out of the 5 years I been out of HS and I been working out for 3.5 months and I can only do 2 circuits without being totally spent.

01 GT Vert.... FINALLY!!!! "They Ain't 20's but I keep 'em clean"

Texas State women are *too* down!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
What the fuck is going on?! White people are not supposed to be treated this way!

4gifs.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

Well I think things are starting to fall into place.... Like Kim just posted, I've realized I'm so damn hungry all the time!!!

I took some before pics, we'll see what the "after" will be in 3-5 months...

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement