food/diet recommendations - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Here to stay

food/diet recommendations

let's say I wanted to drop about 5lbs a month, realistic I think, what kinds of foods should I be eating? I'm not extremely over weight but according to the Marine Corps. standards that I'm accustomed to I'm about 20lbs over what my max weight should be. I'm currently at 181(a fat ass, since I'm only 5'5") but it fluctuates between 178 and 184. about a year ago I bought the P90X videos but after about a week I quit. that thing is just too intense for me considering I'm completely out of shape. so for about a year I've been running 3 times a week but haven't really changed my diet so I've seen no improvement whatsoever. my wife's friend made me a copy of Power90 which is basically an introduction to the P90X. it's a short workout, about 30min. a day for six on/one off. it's not intense by any means but it does make me sweat. it's a 90 day program and I'm about a week into it. I figure since it's only a 30min. workout I should maybe change my diet also. maybe I'll see some improvement.

also, what kind of supplements should I be taking if any. oh, and I'm NOT gonna run out to GNC and drop a hundred on products either.

-carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Time Served

Well we won't discuss creatine in this post, lol...In all seriousness everyone's body is a little different and responds according to what works for your lifestyle and metabolism. Here's my advice:

Keep up the cardio and throw some light to medium weight resistance training in there too. Don't lift heavy weights because you're not looking to gain large amounts of muscle, merely tone and build some muscle in order to jump start your metabolism and firm up a bit as the fat begins to go away.

Diet wise I would shoot for a well balanced lean diet. Veggies, fruits and greens are great. Meats should be lean such as chicken, turkey, bison, etc.

The key to tricking your body into maintaing a solid metabolism is feeding it the right foods at the right times. Eating 2-3 times daily does not cut it. Your body learns that pattern and wants to store more fat. If you eat small healthy meals every 2-3 hrs, you will be amazed how much better you feel and you will begin to lose weight.

Supplements:
A good liquid multi vitamin along with a well balanced diet is really all that should be needed. I recommend liquid vitamins just because they typically absorb quicker and more efficiently vs tablets. Although most liquid multi's aren't the best tasting things in the world.

Also, remember that it is very important to get some protein and some healthy sugars/carbs post workout (within 30 min optimally). This includes weight training as well as running/cycling etc.

I hope this helps some, good luck! Jeremy-

Nitrous inhalin' vert!

Last edited by cessnabird; 08-06-2010 at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Baller

Do a low carb/atkins type diet and you'll have that weight gone in no time. It is a very hard diet to follow as you can't eat anything, but it's neat to see how it really works.

Read up on it a little.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Ive never been a fan of Atkins. Everyone I know who has done it has felt sick and later on gained all their weight back. I know it works for some people, but they are hardly in shape....If it's worked for you thats great but I think even though you lose weight, it' an unhealthy way of doing it.

I'd go with 6-8 200-300 calorie meals a day. Bump up that metabo in a few months then things will really start to roll along when you add in more calorie burning lifting or cardio.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Time Served

Go pick up this book: A Week in the Zone

It's like $8 and Barnes and Noble. It's an extremely high level view of the Zone diet. It's a really light read and you can get the gist of the program quickly. The Zone itself gets criticized for being too hard (weighing and measuring food, etc.), and too generic, but this book doesn't even get into the weighing and measuring part, (or portion size much at all per individual) but it does get you into a good mindset on what types of foods to eat, etc.

At a super-high level, it's really just about eating the right kinds of foods and eating appropriate quantities, spread throughout the day. The zone claims that there is an optimal food ratio (40:30:30 of carbs (veggies/fruits), protein and fat) that causes the optimal metabolic response (insulin reaction) in the body. It makes sense, but I'm no bio-chemist.

I've been an active crossfitter for about two years. I'm still getting huge results in strength and stamina, but after a certain point, I stopped losing any more weight, because I hadn't addressed my diet. Back at the end of June, my CF box started a 12-week zone challenge. I'm about 5 weeks in and have dropped 6lbs, and more importantly 5% bf. (down from 24 to 19... I was really in denial, I guess, I was shocked when I found out I was at 24% to begin with... talk about denial!!! I knew I could stand to drop a few lbs, but no way did I think I was over 20%) I've been setting personal bests on all of my workouts for the last few weeks, and have had tons of energy, so the results aren't just on the scale.

There are a lot of critics of the Zone, and I agree with a lot of them, but it's a great start and will at least change your mindset about fuel... errr, food. If you really want to go off the deep end, listen to a few podcasts from Robb Wolf and look into Paleo... Now that is hard core, but will get you crazy results.

It seems like it's a lot more religion than science, but if you just try to learn as much as you can, and experiment and find what works for you, you'll do great. Find something that is healthy and sustainable.

One tip I like is only shop on the outside ring of the grocery store, don't go down any aisles.... the fresh produce, meats, etc. that you really need to be eating are around the outer ring, the processed, sugary, fatty crap is in the middle aisles!

Good luck man! Find someone to commit to doing it with you, peer pressure and accountability can work wonders!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Ive never been a fan of Insert Diet Here. Everyone I know who has done it has felt sick and later on gained all their weight back. I know it works for some people, but they are hardly in shape....If it's worked for you thats great but I think even though you lose weight, it' an unhealthy way of doing it.

I'd go with 6-8 200-300 calorie meals a day. Bump up that metabo in a few months then things will really start to roll along when you add in more calorie burning lifting or cardio.
Fixed This is with all diets man...people are fat for a reason. and that's because it takes work. Low carb diets are probably the easiest...don't eat any carbs. Granted it gets deeper than that but doesn't have to.

This guy can't even do P90X...you really think he's going to eat 6-8 portioned meals a day and add in more lifting/cardio? that may work for you but I'm guessing you're more disciplined and in much better shape. That's not a "noob" diet approach.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I am a Motherfucker

I did low carb diet and lost about 90 lbs in 5 months but I felt VERY unhealthy. Every time I made fast movements I got very dizzy from malnutrition. I started the 8 meals a day and everything has progressed faster and I feel great. I just reccomend to people what I would do if I did it over again. I know where you are coming from though!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I did low carb diet and lost about 90 lbs in 5 months but I felt VERY unhealthy. Every time I made fast movements I got very dizzy from malnutrition. I started the 8 meals a day and everything has progressed faster and I feel great. I just reccomend to people what I would do if I did it over again. I know where you are coming from though!
You hit the nail on the head...haha. You will feel dizzy, and there are always health concerns with diets that act that fast and are centered around ketogenic states. But I think in this guys case...a strict plan like yours would fall apart in under a month because of how many variables it takes. Just seen it happen too many times.

Basically, your diet is a more perfect approach, but I don't see a newer person following this. So you move onto effective. Lets not make perfect the enemy of good.

I bet had you not lost that 90lbs you wouldn't be where you are now either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement