What age can you start creatine? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

What age can you start creatine?

My 15 yoa is begging me to start on a pre-workout cell volumizer with creatine and I'm not sure that it is OK to do it yet.

What is the proper age for starting this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Time Served

I would consult a physician before using any creatine supplements. Just my .02, it is much overrated. I have always found that a healthy diet along with multi vitamins, omegas and protein have provided me with all I need to live a healthy lifestyle. Unless your son is a bodybuilder, I would save his liver and kidneys for later in life.

Nitrous inhalin' vert!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnabird View Post
I would save his liver and kidneys for later in life.
mmmm ok...

he will be fine!

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Rookie

let him take it...

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Time Served

My post wasn't meant to scare him away from using creatine, just letting him know it's not as great as it's added up to be. Is that opinionated, of course. I just hate to see a kid still growing and developing start taking something he doesn't need right now. As for the liver and kidneys, they produce enough as it is especially on a high protein diet. There are no valid long term side effect studies out there to say whether or not there could be a risk of long term use of this supplement. Liver, kidney and glycemic side effects are possible in some people. A developing teenager is probably not the best candidate for using creatine right now. Like I said, I would ask the doc and see what they say. Just see both sides of the story. Supplements aren't magic, merely extras to use when a well balanced diet is not enough. :-)

Nitrous inhalin' vert!

Last edited by cessnabird; 08-05-2010 at 11:12 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Time Served

Creatine was great for me for about 3 weeks. Then it got to the point where I was waking up every hour to take a leak.

I wouldnt recommend it for a teenager. Your body will respond very well at that age as is.

2000 Lightning- stock daily driver
1992 LX-coil overs/PHB / TA / LCA, Cobra brakes, HCI Vortech V1
1988 CRX Si- B18CR/B16S1
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Lifer

Should be fine as long as he's drinking water. He'll have to piss more often but I love creatine.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Time Served

creatine is the most researched supplement in the world.. if it was that bad i would say no, but its perfectly safe!

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Here to stay

what exactly does creatine do and how does it help?

-carlos
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Time Served

Project pony, here is a little basic snippet on Creatine. This just breaks the ice on the subject so you can find a lot more info searching.

Unlike most supplements that athletes use, creatine is neither a vitamin, mineral, herb nor hormone. It is a naturally occurring amino acid that is found in our body that has the chemical name methyl guanidine-acetic acid (see Figure 1 below). As most of you are already aware, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. The majority of creatine (about 95%) is located in the skeletal muscle system, and the remaining 5% is in the brain, heart and testes. We acquire most of the creatine in our system by consuming meats and fish as well as dairy products, egg whites, nuts and seeds. Although the human body has a way of storing very high amounts of creatine to enhance recovery and muscle power, it is quite challenging to consume enough food to provide the same amount of creatine that using supplements will. In the event that you do not consume enough creatine to suit your body’s requirements, your body can synthesize it from the amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. This manufacturing process takes place in the kidneys, liver and pancreas.

As for this post...Man I really am not one to argue with anyone on something that is so personal and individual but I still don't agree. This is a teenager who is overwhelmed with hormone and creatine production and he is still growing and developing. Who are you to tell him it is okay to use this supplement? His doctor? Negative! I still say ask the doc. I may be totally wrong and the doc may say heck yeah go for it, but I highly doubt he would recommend using creatine in this particular situation. Please don't think I am being a douche bag by arguing the point but this is a touchy debate/subject. Everything you put in your body whether it is a coke, pizza, steak, or a supplement has to be filtered and put to use by our bodies. He's not a pro bodybuilder at 15 years old so why? I guarantee with a high cal, high protein lean diet, he will sprout muscles like weeds.

Nitrous inhalin' vert!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Time Served

creatine is in lean meats such as chicken and beef.. its not gunna kill him but to be safe ask your doctor if it will make you feel better.. i took creatine when i was 13 or 14 and it most certainly didnt stunt my growth or have any ill effects..

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Time Served

Matts5.0, I call a peace offering. Lol, for the record, I am not against creatine.

Nitrous inhalin' vert!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I am a Motherfucker

I've been told that kids 16-20 dont really need creatine because of all the natural hormonal growth that they go through at these ages. Just what I've been told by many people. I'm 30 and just started taking it 5 months ago and I've been very happy with the end results.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnabird View Post
Matts5.0, I call a peace offering. Lol, for the record, I am not against creatine.
haha sorry if it sounded like i was attacking you..

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

Matt, your son will be fine with or without it. But the ~3% improvement with supplement use that he may get isnt really worth it at his age...it sounds like he has some misconceptions on what this stuff does. At his age, he really doesnt need any supplements. Just a good diet high in protein. Save the supplements for later in life when he has a good nutritional foundation and the experience of training to know what works for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement