Crap Ive learned. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Crap Ive learned.

There's been a rash of new posters in here lately, but a definite absence of some of the more knowledgeable (and bigger, stronger & leaner) regulars. I've learned a lot from these guys, in addition to all the things I learned from failure, injury, and a strong Google-fu. Since I've got enough time on my hands, I'm going to pass along some of the info, sources, and theories I've picked up from guys here, and other places.

Motivation:
There is nothing more important than motivation, if you don't have a strong desire to improve, there is nothing in the world that'll change your body. No one can decide your motivation, and your motivation is what fuels your work, so if you don't have enough, find more. Doesn't matter if you want to get bigger, lean out, or increase performance, nothing is going to improve if you aren't motivated. Some board specific sources of motivated dudes: FunFordCobra and Mach1Nut. There are others, but those two are recent and impressive.

Measuring progress:
Goals are important. Seriously, how the hell are you going to continue improving towards a better body, if you don't have a quantifiable means of determining improvement? I spent YEARS dicking around in the gym for a few weeks or months at a time, because my friends were in there, or I was getting too soft, or newly single, whatever. Every time, I went out and bought muscle mags and picked up some creatine and protein, then got bored fairly shortly, and stopped. Each time I went back, I got bored more quickly, because as soon as the muscle memory brought back those meager gains, the desire to work went away because there was no end goal to work towards. Set goals, no matter what you choose, you need it. Body composition or weight (gaining or losing) never appealed to me, but performance goals sure as hell have. Just pick something concrete, aside from 'I want to get bigger or leaner.'

Nuts & Bolts shit:

Diet:
Paleo works. Why? In simple terms, because the body is most efficient when fueled by proteins and good fats (Omega-3s, Mono & Polyunsaturated), and cutting processed carbs from your diet forces you to eat more protein and fat.

Paleo references: I know the link is to a .com site, but it cites a long list of reputable sources, and it's worded simply. Feel free to wade through the reference material for more detailed information.

Good fat info from the Mayo Clinic.

More intense dietary info:
Keto diets aren't the devil. The biggest knock on keto is that it causes blood acidosis, which damages the liver. The rub on that opinion is that the ketones (what raises the acid levels) only raise the acid levels while waiting to be burned for fuel, which doesn't effect active people, because they're having to burn those ketones to fuel their workouts.

The trick is timing, Keto diets aren't supposed to be used long term, but rather in short runs, followed by caloric & carb overloads that trick your body into ramping up it's metabolism. The bible of effective keto dieting is [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Steroids-Warren-Willey/dp/1425103391"]"Better Than Steroids" by Warren Willey.

Plus keto runs have been linked to improvement in epilepsy and reducing/stalling cancer and reversing diabetes.

Carb cycling is another technique, that is nothing more than a modification of the keto theme, on a shorter time line. Basically you do a 2-3 day keto run, followed by alternating days of high-carb/low-fat and high-fat/low-carb, tricking the body into increasing metabolism. There's tons of anecdotal evidence of it's efficacy on BB.com and T-Nation and the like, but I don't remember seeing a scientific study, so I won't link anything. I don't care that much, plus it doesn't do much for my goals so I haven't pursued it, I just came across it researching ketogenic diets.

Other things to ponder:
Metabolic typing and Biological diversity. I'm not going to get into much detail here, because it's basically a means of determining what's the best means of fueling each individuals body, so if you want those details, Google is your friend. A recommended book on metabolic typing: "The Metabolic Typing Diet" by William Wolcott.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Form, function and volume.

Proper form is important, but too often it's an excuse. If you aren't bouncing a bar off your chest, bouncing at the bottom of a squat, or doing stupid shoulder exercises that directly damage your shoulder, don't be afraid of a little momentum. Besides, there is no such thing as perfect form, simply because no two people are physiologically identical, so there is no way to reproduce another's form. The key is to not endanger yourself by doing something stupid, don't use 'strict form' as an excuse for not lifting heavier.

Some good sources of training info:
"Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubik
"Science and Practice of Strength Training" by Vladimir Zatsiorsky. This one is pretty technical and intense.

Function:

It's not rocket science that lifting heavier weights will recruit more muscle fiber, which will lead to more effective results. Heavier weights = more strength = more effective workouts. Simple. Now the tricky part: utilizing the biggest muscles results in more strength in those muscles... AND more testosterone. More test = more strength = more weight = more results.

Here's where the new/hardheaded guy comes in: "But I just want bigger arms." Without increasing hormonal response in the most efficient way (lifting heavy with the larger muscle groups) you're not giving the body any impetus to grow. Secondly, it's virtually impossible to isolate a muscle, no matter how hard you focus on concentration curls or preacher curls, your biceps aren't the only thing working. Since that's the case, pick up the heaviest barbell you can curl, and curl it. If your options are rocking your body some, or not lifting heavy weight, rock.

Side note: if you can't do at least 10 chinups, don't mess with pullups. And pull from your armpit, it'll help you focus on activating your lats.

Low weight, high reps for fat loss: I don't know why, but this concept drives me nuts. I tried it years ago to 'tone up,' realized it didn't work, but never had any proof. Now I do: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11932584. This study was conducted on a group of women, who, as we all know, naturally carry more fat and less muscle than males. There are many other reputable studies showing the same results, but I prefer the one using females as an example, simply because if it works for their physiology, it'll work for a guy.

Basically it says this: lifting heavier percentages of your max for a lower number of reps increases the load on your oxygen consumption compared to higher reps with a lower percentage. What's that mean? It means that lifting heavy essentially is another form of cardio. So not only are you getting stronger, you're priming your body to boost it's metabolism. Just an added caveat, muscle burns more calories than fat, even when not working.

Volume:
If you want to get big, hypertrophy is your goal. There are a couple ways to achieve hypertrophy, and they both involve a high workload.

Method #1: Body builder style set-rep ranges, focusing on specific areas of the body with 3-4 exercises per body part, for 3-5 sets, rep ranges varying from 5-12 depending on the lifter's specific goal in that workout, and a shit ton of other factors. Body builder routines are not pulled straight from the pages of a magazine, but are the result of that lifter's years and years of work, and his determination of what works for him.

Method #2: Powerlifter/strongman/olympic style work, more focused on a specific movement or event, with up to 10+ sets per exercise, with rep ranges from 5 reps down to singles. Lots of techniques that would be considered odd in your average gym are utilized, like bands, chains, boards, boxes, bumper plates and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Both methods work, the results differ in many subtle ways, but the key thing is lots and lots of lifting at high intensity, no matter what the rep range.

Recovery & overtraining:
Gains are made in the kitchen, in bed (in more than one manner) and with active recovery. Stretching, massages and foam rollers are all tools that increase the rate of recovery, allowing more frequent, intense workouts. If you're too sore, you can't get an effective workout, so work on getting rid of soreness.

Overtraining, theoretically, doesn't exist. What is true, is that you are capable of stressing your body to the point where you can't recover in an efficient manner. It's been said many times, that over training is just under sleeping and under eating. What it all means is that there is a balance to be found between work load, exercise load, dietary means, and sleep. Over training is talked about as if it'll make you weak and cause your muscles to shrink, which is bullshit. If you can take a week off and be back to the grind, then it wasn't over training, it was under recovering.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

BTW, I'd add JKD to the motivated mofo list, but I don't think he's posted an actual thread detailing his work.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Subscribing for future reference. Thanks Tex.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
CEO of......

Think you left anything out?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Think you left anything out?
A lot.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Excellent info. I'd add but I'm on my phone right now. One of my favorite training sites is http://www.elitefts.com. It is geared toward powerlifting but the principles and information will apply to anyone looking to get bigger, stronger, faster, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Excellent info. I'd add but I'm on my phone right now. One of my favorite training sites is http://www.elitefts.com. It is geared toward powerlifting but the principles and information will apply to anyone looking to get bigger, stronger, faster, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm a big Dave Tate & Jim Wendler fan.

Thanks for reminding me:
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html is good for form breakdown and exercise ideas.

Elitefts and T-nation have lots of good info. The forums are a shooting gallery, but the articles are usually solid.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Great post. Thanks.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Great read and thanks for tha shout out!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Time Served

awesome info..
when i first started going to the gym i noticed two groups of people.. the big strong guys using the free weights and doing the basics(bench, squat, deads) and the little skinny guys doing the latest mens fitness routines (12 sets of behind the back wrist curls and other stupid shit) so the first few months in the gym i watched and read a lot of stuff online and some more credible magizines and started a simple 4x4 routine. i found out what worked for me and kept learning and growing and eating.. i find it funny when people would come up to me and ask me what my secrect or routine was and i told them i dont have one and they wouldnt beleive me.. i guess i train instinctivly, it takes a while to figure out what works best for you.
no one plan will simply be the be all to end all rountine for everyone.

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Actually I still learned some shit just now and will use it!

Not to derail this but I've been eating 1/2 lb of peanut butter ( No hydrogenated oil ) every day along with the chicken breasts and added ALOT of oats to my shakes. I doubled my cardio and started running outside and I've gained about 10 lbs in a month. I'm sure not all lean mass but my body fat has gone down! Also switched to just pure whey powder. I'm eatin soo much, I found it for 10 bucks for 2 lbs so had to switch because I cant afford mainstream anymore lol. It also has glutimine annd creatine in it, but I also still take craetine and glutimine pills as well.

I really contribute alot of my sucess on all the cardio I do, it's just hard to not get too skinny. I'm eating prolly 5k calories a day now and still keeping lean'ish. I don't think I'll ever hit single digit body fat without a tummy tuck but we will see.

Someone told me with dietary fiber, you subtract it from the carbs and thats how many carbs you are taking in. That right?

Heres a recent pic with my 10lb gain up to 210 from 200. Still have the belly pooch it's a killer running it off but it's slowly getting smaller. 1st one is a few days ago and 2nd is a month ago.

Last edited by FunFordCobra; 09-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Time Served

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Actually I still learned some shit just now and will use it!

Not to derail this but I've been eating 1/2 lb of peanut butter ( No hydrogenated oil ) every day along with the chicken breasts and added ALOT of oats to my shakes. I doubled my cardio and started running outside and I've gained about 10 lbs in a month. I'm sure not all lean mass but my body fat has gone down! Also switched to just pure whey powder. I'm eatin soo much, I found it for 10 bucks for 2 lbs so had to switch because I cant afford mainstream anymore lol. It also has glutimine annd creatine in it, but I also still take craetine and glutimine pills as well.

I really contribute alot of my sucess on all the cardio I do, it's just hard to not get too skinny. I'm eating prolly 5k calories a day now and still keeping lean'ish. I don't think I'll ever hit single digit body fat without a tummy tuck but we will see.

Someone told me with dietary fiber, you subtract it from the carbs and thats how many carbs you are taking in. That right?

Heres a recent pic with my 10lb gain up to 210 from 200. Still have the belly pooch it's a killer running it off but it's slowly getting smaller. 1st one is a few days ago and 2nd is a month ago.
i dont know what you call that pose your doing, but you look good, no homo

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Time Served

Good info...

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Time Served

glad someone had the time to put all that info in one thread, good on ya. anyone that has motivation also does their research . . . this is a great thread to encourage just that. you hit the nail on the head referring to utilizing your biggest muscles (aka your legs) = more test = more strength = more weight = more results . . . don't understand why this concept is so hard to get thru to people

my regards
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last5oh View Post
glad someone had the time to put all that info in one thread, good on ya. anyone that has motivation also does their research . . . this is a great thread to encourage just that. you hit the nail on the head referring to utilizing your biggest muscles (aka your legs) = more test = more strength = more weight = more results . . . don't understand why this concept is so hard to get thru to people
I don't know why it's such a hard concept except for maybe it's because everyone that wants more than they're willing to work towards... looks to the infomercials and OTC products to give them results in lieu of actually working for it. Unlearning a million bad dietary examples/suggestions, and replacing that knowlege with realistic things are easier than these miracle items advertised in abundance.

Everyone is a diet guru, workout guru, etc... and once we realize that all these guru's are actually full of shit, we give ourselves the tools to learn the correct methods and direction to a healthier life style. I've scratched every "tip" I've been given throughout the years and started fresh with my own research and turning to sources (such as the ones here) that know their shit. If another lazy ass 250lb woman tells me to get on an ice cream diet, I'm going to choke slam her with my new found energy and strength LOL!

I started working upper body today. I just worked with a low weight limit so that I could A) get the weights up, B)do reps of 10 instead of 1 or 2 before my arms turn to jelly C)minimize the potential for injury to these long overdue areas that are soft and flabby D) can add weight weekly and work my way up effectively. I may add weight sooner than that, but without knowing what my body's response will be, I leaned on the side of caution so that I don't incapacitate myself.

Once I got the first 25 lbs off, it made it a lot easier to do my running. I was a long distance runner in high school (10 mile cross country) so running seems to come to me easier than working with weights, but I'm in no way ready for a 10 mile run LOL I figured if I could get active with running and continue to do so daily, there is nothing else to stop me.

I have a goal weight in mind, a dietary goal, and a career goal all set... now I'm focused on bitch slapping my goals and exceeding them at every possible opportunity

Thanks so much for all the great info and sources to checkout Ross! I hate to be the "ask stupid questions" girl, but I'd rather ask the questions and get good answers, than duck my head and do something stupid by not asking.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
For myself personally, it's been all about motivation. Like most people, all my adult life I've been a "yo-yo dieter". Get off to a great start only to lose steam and motivation after a short period. It's the same cycle over and over again. It's taken a long time to realize that the term "diet" needs to be thrown away completely since it suggests a temporary commitment and health and fitness is anything but temporary but a complete lifestyle and mindset change that is permanent. Finding proper motivation and activities to keep myself from getting bored has been key.

I haven't written anything up simply because I don't have the technical knowledge that so many others do in this forum, but also I don't train like alot of others here do. It's been trial and error and still is.

I try to keep it as simple as possible so that it doesn't overwhelm me, make it harder than it already is, less ways to set myself up for failure and to serve the function (other than being healthy of course) which in turn pushes the motivation factor.

Simple and obvious rules really:

1) Burn more calories than I take in.

2) Cutting out sugar and bad fats.

3) Trying to quit the damn sodas. (Which I still slip on occasion. But I don't punish myself for it anymore. When I slip, I don't make the repeat mistake that I used to of "well, I'll restart tomorrow and just eat whatever I want the rest of the day." It's crazy how you can really twist your own mind to do such things.

4) Fresh foods. If it doesn't grow or had a name at one point, I don't need to be eating it. My wife and I even started a vegetable garden in our backyard to have fresher foods, no chemicals etc.

5) Make better choices. Probably some of the best advice I have ever gotten. (From Adam aka ThreeFingerPete) Social eating has always been a thing with us. Constantly going out to eat with friends and family giving me yet another exuse just to say "I'll start again tomorrow" horseshit. But life doesn't revolve around me and my newly found healthy lifestyle. It's not always possible to eat as well as I would like. Almost every restaraunt around now has healthy options on their menus. Take notice of how things are cooked, fried vs grilled etc. Don't be afraid to ask for healthy subsitutions, grilled veggies instead of potatoes or french fries. Fresh fruit instead of ice creams/ cakes.

6) Give yourself realistic goals to start with. When you're out of shape, it's already hard just to get yourself to the gym to push yourself through yet another hard workout. When you're far from your optimal ideal situation you would like to be at it's discouraging to stick to it when your goal is so far away. Give yourself one small victory at a time rather than focusing on just "getting big and buff" nonsense.

7)The right mindset. If it's not going to make me a better Jiu Jitsu player (or whatever you are pursuing as your personal goal/motivation) I don't need to be doing it. HAVE FUN! Make it fun somehow. If you are looking at it as work or torture, you won't stick with it. But if you can find something you really enjoy, it won't ever be like work.

8) Stay active. Do something everyday to raise my heart rate for a minimum of 45 minutes per day. If I can't make it to BJJ/MMA practice for some reason, I run, hit the weights. Those days it was raining alot awhile back, I even decided to try Yoga. Wow, what an amazing workout! Who knew it could be such a great workout. It's an activity I can do indoors when it rains and the stretching helps my BJJ hobby!

9) Stop making exuses. You aren't fooling or hurting anyone but yourself.

10) Don't quit on yourself. There is alot of days I don't feel like going to the gym, but I"m not alone in this, everyone goes through this. But the difference between success and failure is getting your lazy ass off the couch and dragging yourself into some activity. You may not be feeling at first, but once you get going you will be fine and even greatful that you did it afterwards.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Good info. Subscribing for future reference.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Good stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement