Better Weight Loss? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Better Weight Loss?

6'2" 200lbs.

green beans, chicken for lunch. Tuna, potatoes, and broccoli for dinner. 2 protein shakes daily before workouts. I still haven't lost any gut but I've put on a lot of muscle. I'm looking to slim down so I can see a little more def.

Right now my ankle is a little tender from a sprain about a month ago so no running. I was wondering if swimming or bike riding would be better. Or anything else. Any input would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Time Served

There is no easy fix. I have lost 20 lbs so far this year and have a lot more to go. I swim bike and run. Running actually burns the most calories but is most likely to cause injury. You can bike lots of miles to burn the same amount and not have near the injury risk. Biking takes an entire different set of muscles. Losing thecweight in the middle is the hardest. From what I've read lately don't eat a lot of carbs unless it is right before or after a workout so your body can use them right away. Potatos at night isn't helping. I'm still struggling with this one too but it is probably key.

200 lb at over 6' isn't a bad weight depending on your build. Just keep exercising and you'll be fine.

Swimming is just dang hard fir a whole variety of reasons. I'm actually looking for a swim coach right now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
You can only change your shape by working out with weights and cardio. Without training and only dieting, when you lose weight you will just be a smaller version of your current shape.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

I do have a work out routine. Twice a day. Once with bench, curls, and triceps pulldowns. Then followed by cardio. Then in the evening I do a workout at home using dumbbells and a weight bench.

I try to eat the meal with the potatoes at 6:00. I usually go to sleep way later then that. Will that still be bad for the diet? I'm actually following a diet from a workout book. But it is kind of outdated (2001).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 AM
tex
Lifer

If you want to lean out but can't run, lift heavier, adding more sets of fewer heavier reps, and cut more carbs from your diet. Don't be afraid of good fats, but any carb not from a vegetable or fruit source should be nixed.

Edit: I don't know how long your rest periods between sets are, but cut them down, too.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Last edited by tex; 08-03-2010 at 06:04 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
If you want to lean out but can't run, lift heavier, adding more sets of fewer heavier reps...
I've always heard that a little bit lighter with more reps (12-15) per set was better for definition...

When I work out with dumbells, I try to chain some movements together to up my heart rate... I'll take my normal curl weight, take a lunge step, up to a curl, into a overhead press repeat - or squat thrust, pushup, jumping jack. anything you can think of the keeps you moving while using a different muscle group. This way, you can work 2-3 groups in the same time you would do one with rest.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
I've always heard that a little bit lighter with more reps (12-15) per set was better for definition...
You've heard wrong, because definition only comes through lower BF. Heavy lifting, especially when paired with shorter rest periods, increases metabolism.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Thanks, that helps a lot. Does anyone have any good sources? I have a book called The Body Sculpting Bible for Men. It has tons of cool stuff but it has a lot of pseudo science. Any recommendations?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM
tex
Lifer

Hold on to your nipples, Imma 'bout to link the shit out of you... after lunch.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weems View Post
Thanks, that helps a lot. Does anyone have any good sources? I have a book called The Body Sculpting Bible for Men. It has tons of cool stuff but it has a lot of pseudo science. Any recommendations?
Quote:
Hold on to your nipples, Imma 'bout to link the shit out of you... after lunch.
I got bored, so here.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Time Served

Im a big fan of interval training. A typical workout for me would be to sprint 1/4 mile, followed by 15 pullups then 25 pushups x6 (or some variation) So by the time you are done you did a mile and a half sprinting. If you cant do that many pullups then adjust.

That sounds like a pretty clean diet. I generally avoid carbs (the potatoes) late in the day. You dont need the energy late in the evening because you are just going to go to sleep. 6'2'' and 200 Lbs doesnt sound that bad to me, especially if you weight train.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 PM
tex
Lifer

Carb timing is only important in regards to when a person worked out, the late day carbs myth has been debunked.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
You've heard wrong, because definition only comes through lower BF. Heavy lifting, especially when paired with shorter rest periods, increases metabolism.
Exactly. It's all about maintaining an elevated heart rate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement