Time for the gym!!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Talking Time for the gym!!!

Since I was extremely out of shape, walking a quarter mile would cause me to get winded so I decided that before I step into a gym I needed to lay out some foundation work on cardio and lose a tad more weight.

Whelp, I'm up to running 3 miles with no stops and I still don't get winded, but my legs turn to jello. I run until I surpass the burn, I don't just work up to the point of burn. As soon as 3 miles comes/goes without the jello legs and burn afterward, I'll add more distance to that as well.

I'm down a total of 40lbs since mid March (half of which has come off in the past month). I feel energized after my runs each day and all day long each day. I don't give myself any days off from my running, because I know I'm about to really kick my own ass with weights and machines

I want to workout my upper body for strength and to develope higher endurance. What kind of machines should I start with? I am new to this portion of my goal, so I know I'll need to start off with things that I can easily learn and stick with. Since this is my first time in the gym in over a decade, I have no clue what the names of most machines are. DON'T LAUGH I'LL KEEL YOU! I'm not to the point of free weights (I think?), but I know there's gotta be some good machines that help you target the upper & mid body (arms/back/abs).

There's a person at the desk at the gym that gives some general information and can show me how to properly use the equipment, but anything detailed has to come from a trainer, which I can't afford. So again I ask, what are the names of some machines that can target those specific areas, and how many reps on each machine should I start with?

I'm going to need to add pushups and situps to my routine as well, but I need to develope those areas a bit more so that I can do so safely and effectively. Well, (girlie) push ups I'm doing already, but situps have to wait a tad longer. My doctor told me that I need to slowly build up the ab muscles since I've had 3 c-sections. I have adhesions (scar tissue) pretty bad, so if I get too gung ho too quickly, it'll cause the muscles to tear and I sure as hell don't wanna do that again. That shit HURTS lol!

Any suggestions (on topic) are greatly appreciated! I'm feeling better than I have in years and I'm extremely excited to step it up to the next level

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass

Last edited by mutherjuggz; 08-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Keep up the good work! Maybe one of these days I can post a similar thread!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Keep up the good work! Maybe one of these days I can post a similar thread!
they don't have treadmills at Stan's!!!

But maybe you can hook that up

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Incognito

Great job Kim! Keep it up, it really is a life change.

I've been going to the gym now for 1.5 years and I can't even tell you the name of the machines. lol I do know I do an all over body work out each time I go which is now Mon - Thurs with Fri, Sat, and Sun as recovery days. If there are specific areas you want to work on most machines have pictures of the muscle groups it works, so you can tailor ur own workout that way.

I pick up new workout stuff sometimes by watching how some of the people workout. I cannot see me paying a trainer either and I damn sure don't need one to push me, as I can do that myself.

So anyways, can't wait to see you I can imagine your pretty happy with the results you've gotten so far.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
T-MINUS

Keep it up Kimmay!!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
lower case g

Congrats on the progress!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Lifer

This thread is worthless without pics. J/K congrats and keep up the good work.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
May the Force be w/you

Great job Kim!!! Congrats on all that. I'm hoping that in this weeks weigh in I will be down 35 or more pounds!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Thanks to all for the support and well wishes

I would do progress pics, but there's a handful of brutal assholes on this site, so I'll just keep y'all posted in black and white text instead LOL!!!

James I suppose I could do that. Sounds easy enough LOL! I was just worried about being dubbed the retard of the gym, but that's ok too just so long as I don't hurt myself

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Don't let other people bother you. 98% of everyone on here is all talk hehe. You are doing more then most people!

Oh on your runs you might want to slow down and walk like 2 minutes and run 4, or 2/2 doen't matter. You will be way less tired and be able to go longer and burn more cals and your legs will feel better AND YOU WILL BURN MORE FAT! haha. You need your heart to go up and down at a steady rate and that's called fat burn. It's worked wonders for me.

Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-04-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Blazed
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Don't let other people bother you. 98% of everyone on here is all talk hehe. You are doing more then most people!

Oh on your runs you might want to slow down and walk like 2 minutes and run 4, or 2/2 doen't matter. You will be way less tired and be able to go longer and burn more cals and your legs will feel better AND YOU WILL BURN MORE FAT! haha. You need your heart to go up and down at a steady rate and that's called fat burn. It's worked wonders for me.
Thanks for the advice! Seeing your results... I will take that information for solid gold and start doing that right away. At the gym I'm with, 13 laps = 1 mile (if I run inside) Would it be about the same if I say run 4 laps, then walk 1, run 4 then walk 1 until I hit my 3 miles?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I am a Motherfucker

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Incognito

Kim you definitely don't need to care what anyone here or at the gym thinks. I started off at the YMCA gym. lol All that was there where a bunch of old folks.

I finally left cause they were getting in the way too much and they raised there prices.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
That would work!
Excellent! Thanks for the input, and if you think of any other random tidbits that you think are useful, please chime in!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement