Post a PIC and your workout advice. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Post a PIC and your workout advice.

I often see that fat out of shape people are giving a lot of advice in the gym, sometimes it is correct but much of what I hear is just the "telephone game". I just want to see what some of you look like and what it took to reach your goals. Or what steps you are taking to get where you want to be. I myself am never satisfied and had an eye opener last week when I found out that I am 15% body fat at 5'11'' 211lbs. My diet has always been sloppy because my metabolism has allowed it, now I am to the point where I can't get away with Whataburger for every meal.

I myself believe that 70% of what you look like is your diet.

Some people are naturally stronger than others, and that is all relative.

My best results have come with a push/ pull routine. And I throw in 5 minutes of cardio to warm up and about 10 to cool down.

Feel free to chime in. I love to hear peoples opinions and always looking for opportunities to learn.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Hero in a half shell

Persistence and discipline in three areas: nutrition, strength, cardio. Nutrition is the most important. I posted a thread about my transformation about a month ago, search for that and you'll see what it took to look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sledge hammer pose.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	99117  

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger View Post
I often see that fat out of shape people are giving a lot of advice in the gym, sometimes it is correct but much of what I hear is just the "telephone game". I just want to see what some of you look like and what it took to reach your goals. Or what steps you are taking to get where you want to be. I myself am never satisfied and had an eye opener last week when I found out that I am 15% body fat at 5'11'' 211lbs. My diet has always been sloppy because my metabolism has allowed it, now I am to the point where I can't get away with Whataburger for every meal.

My best results have come with a push/ pull routine. And I throw in 5 minutes of cardio to warm up and about 10 to cool down.

Feel free to chime in. I love to hear peoples opinions and always looking for opportunities to learn.
I'm not posting before pics, until I have some really good progress underway...

I'm just at the beginning of my reintroduction to a healthy lifestyle, but will keep those interested posted

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Hired Hand

I'm fat and old, and give horrible advice when solicited.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Nice try at reverse psychology.

You have helped plenty of people...including myself dude and I/we appreciate it!

Last edited by Stangin4Lyfe; 07-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Nobody

Im 6'4 220 about 9% BF currently. Would like to get back to about 235-240 before my daughter is born around the end of November. This is the most recent pic I have from last month in Corpus. I got hurt last year and lost a lot of weight and got into running so mass wasn't a priority like before. Once I found out it was a girl, that changed. I figure by the time she's 13 I can be at least a solid 300.

My name is AJ so this was pretty cool.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
May the Force be w/you

I never took any before pics of myself. But I am 5'11'' and two months ago started on a pretty strict diet and exercise routine. I started at 334lbs on 05/06/2010. As of this past Thursday (I weigh in every Thursday morning) I was at 307. 27lbs off and 3 to go till 30! I'm hoping this Thursday I will get there!

What I have been doing is mountain/road biking. It's kicking my ass but it is so much damn fun and I am loving every minute of it! I have also been mixing some baseball with my brother. We really just shank some flys and throw the baseball around. It's a good way to do a little bit of running. I'm not huge on gym workouts. I totally prefer to be outdoors doing my exercise. My current routine is so much fun and it's also working for me.....so I won't complain or change a thing!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Time Served

Im 5'10" and 245lbs. Been lifting since I was about 13 when I started out on some old school concrete weights but didnt really get into it till I was about 19 and Im 26 now. Of all the experience Ive had with buddies and co-workers asking me for gym advice, Ive realised that its really 3 very basic things that make all the difference in the world as to whether or not you will be succesful in your training.

1. COMMITMENT! I constantly see the "drug store gym rats" and they last for a couple weeks up to a couple months. They go and buy all the gym gear and supplements and then when they dont see instantaneous(fictional) results, they lose their drive and slowly stop training.

2. EFFORT APPLIED! Theres all kind of drugs and supplements out there to help, but none of them are more important than training hard and supporting your training with the required nutrition. Im a firm believer in this because I take only a couple minor/cheap supplements and Ive had pretty good success without owning stock in GNC.

3. TECHNIQUE! This is far more important than many realise and it doesnt just apply to weight training. Do your homework and critique your form and technique till you perfect it. I hate seeing the people in the gym that you can tell think they are doing great things cuz they were able to lift an extra 45 or so pounds but do it by jerking around and yanking etc etc.

Sorry for the long winded reply but hope it helpsClick image for larger version

Name:	flex.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	99131

Name:	squat.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	99132

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	99133

1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 15lbs, 496/460 with failing bypass valve
1996 DR650 converted to SUMO
2000 F250 4x4 PSD
2006 Ford Exploder
www.fquick.com/payne5757
www.myspace.com/payne5757
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
I concur!

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Time Served

I agree with Technique, it's amazing how much more you can lift with proper form, not to mention the number of injuries you avoid

my regards
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Workout with focus and intensity. Don't eat fast food EVER. Get LOTS of protein. Run, RUN, RUUUUUN as much and as far as you can in 1 hour every day. Don't cheat yourself, do reasearch on everything you do. Smoke lots and lots of pot.

This is me last week down from 390 lbs to 210lbs 12% body fat 6'3" tall all in 19 months and still dieting and on my workout routiene 6 days a week.

Last edited by FunFordCobra; 09-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Workout with focus and intensity. Don't eat fast food EVER. Get LOTS of protein. Run, RUN, RUUUUUN as much and as far as you can in 1 hour every day. Don't cheat yourself, do reasearch on everything you do. Smoke lots and lots of pot.

This is me last week down from 390 lbs to 210lbs 12% body fat in 19 months and still dieting and on my workout routiene 6 days a week.
Damn dude from your pictures that you posted way back when. Man you have kept up with it and look good. Keep it up.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last5oh View Post
I agree with Technique, it's amazing how much more you can lift with proper form, not to mention the number of injuries you avoid
You're dead on in terms of injury, but I have found just the opposite to be true for volume and weight. When using super-strict form and slow/controlled movements (which is most of the time these days), I find myself failing with less reps at a particular poundage than when I cheat it up a little. That having been said, going strict still better for growth provided that you are keeping the same intensity as when cheating up the heavier weights.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
You're dead on in terms of injury, but I have found just the opposite to be true for volume and weight. When using super-strict form and slow/controlled movements (which is most of the time these days), I find myself failing with less reps at a particular poundage than when I cheat it up a little. That having been said, going strict still better for growth provided that you are keeping the same intensity as when cheating up the heavier weights.
Thats not the type of cheating I am talking about. Im talking about the guys that..... sway/jerk while curling, shallow bench, half-squat, etc etc. Youre talking about properly cheating(oxymoron lol) and it is absolutely beneficial when used properly like using stacks of 2x4's to work up you max on bench press.

1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 15lbs, 496/460 with failing bypass valve
1996 DR650 converted to SUMO
2000 F250 4x4 PSD
2006 Ford Exploder
www.fquick.com/payne5757
www.myspace.com/payne5757
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Time Served

Quote:
You don't have to go slow to have good form. Should have been more specific when I said it's amazing how much more weight you can lift with proper form . . . meant that if you have poor form, correct it, drop the weight, then you'll be able to lift more later on down the road. I had to correct mine to overcome a plateau I hit.

my regards
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last5oh View Post
You don't have to go slow to have good form.
I've got a pretty good handle on what good form is. By slow I meant not banging out reps as quickly as you can, because when you do momentum becomes a factor, and is a type of cheating. Controlled is the key word there.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I've got a pretty good handle on what good form is. By slow I meant not banging out reps as quickly as you can, because when you do momentum becomes a factor, and is a type of cheating. Controlled is the key word there.
roger that. we're on the same page.

my regards
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Not disagreeing w/ you at all here, I think the same way. Arnold did suggest at times doing whatever it took to curl ridiculous amounts of weight. But at the same time he used great form for the majority of the time.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Eat everything in site, focus on squats, bench and deadlift!
Basic, but not easy folks!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Time Served

this is after doin absolutley nothing and getting very lazy after getting out of the Marines, iv lost about 20lbs of muscle and gained a little cushion. i guess will be my before picture?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38829_1346143179965_1422856830_30780760_2155479_n.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	99341  

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Eat everything in site, focus on squats, bench and deadlift!
Basic, but not easy folks!

Holy hell dude, you're a freaking manimal!!! I've read lots of great things you've offered for advice in this forum though, so thank you for sharing and best wishes on your competitions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts5.0 View Post
this is after doin absolutley nothing and getting very lazy after getting out of the Marines, iv lost about 20lbs of muscle and gained a little cushion. i guess will be my before picture?
Before you take a before pic, take a shower OB1 LOL!!! jk I bet you get back into shape quickly as you don't really appear to be too far off the trail already. Good luck!!

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Before you take a before pic, take a shower OB1 LOL!!! jk I bet you get back into shape quickly as you don't really appear to be too far off the trail already. Good luck!!
haha thanks.. as soon as i get settled in my new apartment my first preiority will be finding a gym.. ill post up some pics in a couple months.. i want to get back up to around 260.. i was 235 in this pic..

and ill take a bath maybe as well..(this after doing some longtubes on my fox btw)

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Lifer

Before (135 lbs):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...i/before-1.jpg

Now (164 lbs):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...adi/photo3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...adi/photo2.jpg

I still want to put another 20. Mostly in upper body as my legs are about where I want them size-wise although I'm not even close to my squat and deadlift goals (400 lbs is the goal. Currently at 235 moving up about 15 lbs a week).

My advice: EAT EAT EAT til you feel like youre going to explode then eat some more.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
drvng fstr thn u w/1 hand

Quote:
You're a fucking liar with that statement! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Nice try at reverse psychology.

You have helped plenty of people...including myself dude and I/we appreciate it!
My thoughts.....

militarysignatures.com

*SOLD*'04 Mystic Chrome Cobra
*SOLD*'03 DSG Lightning #55 of 4270

'94 Cobra
408 with a Vortech YSI strapped to it and all the goodies.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 AM

My better days in the Corps, seems I've posted these a couple times before....

Bulk... 228

Cut... 196

Most recent, I'm guessing 184-86

Yes my basement is thrashed, I'm rebuilding my house currently.

Spirit, Commitment, Dedication.... The 3 things one has to have in order to make this LIFESTYLE work. I used to tell all my clients, and still preach it to friends.

militarysignatures.com

'94 Cobra
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Semper Fi brother

militarysignatures.com

'94 Cobra
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Whitepony View Post
Semper Fi brother
Semper Fi
haha i like the barracks room in the background.. man those things suck!

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Semper Fi
haha i like the barracks room in the background.. man those things suck!
Ya, my command sucked. I was a Sergeant having to room with others and wasnt allowed to live out in town on my own dime. One person fucks it up for everyone, I'm sure you know how that goes.

militarysignatures.com

'94 Cobra
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Before (135 lbs):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...i/before-1.jpg

Now (164 lbs):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...adi/photo3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...adi/photo2.jpg

I still want to put another 20. Mostly in upper body as my legs are about where I want them size-wise although I'm not even close to my squat and deadlift goals (400 lbs is the goal. Currently at 235 moving up about 15 lbs a week).

My advice: EAT EAT EAT til you feel like youre going to explode then eat some more.
Lookin' good Taylor! Keep it up brotha man! You can do it!

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Whitepony View Post
Ya, my command sucked. I was a Sergeant having to room with others and wasnt allowed to live out in town on my own dime. One person fucks it up for everyone, I'm sure you know how that goes.
i was in the exact same situation..

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger View Post

One thing I found out this past week... go run on the beach in the sand. Nothing kicks your ass faster than what feels like mountain climbing horizontally... Holy hell I had some major leaps and bounds on my progress though! I'm certainly going to hitup machines at the gym that work me just as hard as Surfside Beach has. I wish I could've stayed longer simply for the exercise LOL!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement