Getting started on my next venture.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Question Getting started on my next venture....

Well, through the years I've lost and gained, but was never worried about metabolism/nutrition, endurance/strength, etc. My dumbassery has caused me to take a few steps back, but nothing I can't fix so I need the knowlege and experience of dfws finest

I'm looking at a career change that could very well test my strength, speed, stamina, wits, and nerves so I truly need to get my shit together.

My question... I'm running 1-2 miles each morning. I received some information regarding nutrition to get me started, so I want to be sure that I implement each necessary step properly for maximum results.

I was told, that within one hour of waking up, I need to be consuming a protein supplement for the betterment of my body and my workouts. I have found a drink called "muscle milk". It's a nutritional shake that has 25g protein, lactose free, 220 calories, 9g fat, 10mg cholestrol, 540mg sodium, 1090mg potassium, total carbs 8, sugars 3g. Based on these ingredients.... Is something like this beneficial to my cause, or is this more of a glorified slim fast shake?

Before each run I drink 20oz of water and directly after I have another 40oz of water, then I shower and drink my muscle milk, along with a bowl of Kashi cereal. I eat every 3 or so hours some form of fruit and vegetables between meals, and I cut out all carbs after 3pm. I don't eat anything else, period, after 7pm since bedtime is no later than 10. I've pretty much already slowed drinking alcohol to few and far between events (every 3-6 months), and when I do drink it's no more than 3-6 beers.

It was also suggested to me that I do a 10-day cleanse to flush any toxins out of my body that could be holding me back. What are some good "cleanses" and are they worth it?

I've also been doing evening workouts using resistance bands during various exercises, and I'm going to begin running bleachers and doing more crunches/push ups in my daily routine as well.

Physically, I've lost a few inches thus far, but the first few are always the easiest to shed. My goal is to be one bad motor scooter physically by the end of the summer, or at least adjusted to all the working out enough so to have myself firmly on the right path.

I've also set up parallel bars in my back yard so that I can do exercises with my lower body while being supported on the bars by my upper body. My stomach is my primary area of concern, because that's the one area I haven't specifically targeted for toning in a LONG time. I need to be able to utilize my entire body when it's called upon and not have something cause me to falter/fail.

Anything useful you can think of would be greatly appreciated! Also any feedback on what I've got going so far would be welcomed. If you see that I'm doing something wrong, or could be doing it better, please...fire away

Thanks in advance!

Kim

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I'll be the first to say that I think we need video of you running/jogging. A front view, if you please. We must be able to critique your ummm.. movements.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
I'll be the first to say that I think we need video of you running/jogging. A front view, if you please. We must be able to critique your ummm.. movements.
in slow motion preferably.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Sounds good. I still use muscle milk when I can get it on sale. I used the "light" version and lost alot of weight drinking 3 a day. Working out and drinking supplements are 1/2 of it..Diet is the other 1/2. Don't eat fast food..AT ALL. Cut out high colestorol, carbohydrates, and sugars. I would also bump up your running to a minnimum of 2 miles a day.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Optimum Nutritions pro-complex proten is 60g's of protein and one gram of fat per two scoops. Mixes well and tastes good. Being a woman, you might want to leave it at one scoop per serving. Good stuff though. Tastes just about as good muscle milk and a fraction of fat.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

We have reached the maximum number of FWPD on the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
we have reached the maximum number of fwpd on the board.
posted via mobile device
wtf?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Optimum Nutritions pro-complex proten is 60g's of protein and one gram of fat per two scoops. Mixes well and tastes good. Being a woman, you might want to leave it at one scoop per serving. Good stuff though. Tastes just about as good muscle milk and a fraction of fat.

I agree. This has been one of the best tasting protein supplements I have used. At least as far as the chocolate and strawberry. One scoop is fine for most as you body really can't efficiently digest more than 30 grams of protein at one time

Republicans drove the car off the cliff and democrats had to do all of the work getting it back out of the ditch

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds at dfwstangs.net

MONEY NEVER SLEEPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
When you pull in 20 million percent a year like BULLET, you have your share of 5 and 6 figure days!

GENUFLECT TO THE BULLET

FACTS ARE LIKE ACID TO THE SKIN OF REPUBLICONS
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
wtf?
Her post reads very much like that of someone pursuing a civil service (fire, police, etc) position.

Ted made a joke about that.

Did that really fly over your head?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Her post reads very much like that of someone pursuing a civil service (fire, police, etc) position.

Ted made a joke about that.

Did that really fly over your head?
Completely, and it still is.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Scared s**tless

bang out the cardio first thing in the morning, shower and get ready... then eat. Use the deficit state of your metabolism from sleeping to benefit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
We have reached the maximum number of FWPD on the board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well that's still not going to keep me from trying I don't know how far I can go with this, but I'd like to fill some life long dreams of mine and quit settling in life. Settling got me no where, I'm still not doing something I love, and my work days are spent in a state of "where did my time go?"

I am going to get some of the protein mentioned above, but until I can locate it I'll continue with the muscle milk for now.

I've decided to increase each days run to 2 miles to keep it consistent. Before I would do a mile one day, 1 1/2 the next, 2 miles the next, etc... but if I bang out 2 miles each day before 6am, then I'll be good to go for the day, until I can get back home after work to work on target muscle groups.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Well that's still not going to keep me from trying I don't know how far I can go with this, but I'd like to fill some life long dreams of mine and quit settling in life. Settling got me no where, I'm still not doing something I love, and my work days are spent in a state of "where did my time go?"

I am going to get some of the protein mentioned above, but until I can locate it I'll continue with the muscle milk for now.

I've decided to increase each days run to 2 miles to keep it consistent. Before I would do a mile one day, 1 1/2 the next, 2 miles the next, etc... but if I bang out 2 miles each day before 6am, then I'll be good to go for the day, until I can get back home after work to work on target muscle groups.

Make that video and I can give you a special protein shake.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
"F#ck the Police!"

Go online for that protein I suggested. It sales for about $90 for a 4.6lbs tub at GNC. I just got mine online from The Vitamine Shoppe for half that.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
"F#ck the Police!"

Go online for that protein I suggested. It sales for about $90 for a 4.6lbs tub at GNC. I just got mine online from The Vitamine Shoppe for half that.

LMFAO! You dork! You know you're proud of me, or indifferent about my choice altogether

I'm gonna order from the vitamine shoppe then! I can't believe how good I feel everyday after my run! I don't know why I ever quit exercising. I find tons of extra energy and a better outlook/personality altogether. I think it's because I'm able to run off some of the daily angst that gets to us from time to time

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
until I can get back home after work to work on target muscle groups.
My advice is to not target groups. Your first post makes it sound like you need to
focus on strength. You need to be lifting, and heavy, fairly soon. I understand you're coming back from a layoff, and need a baseline, but the sooner you start lifting heavy, the more progress you'll see.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
My advice is to not target groups. Your first post makes it sound like you need to
focus on strength. You need to be lifting, and heavy, fairly soon. I understand you're coming back from a layoff, and need a baseline, but the sooner you start lifting heavy, the more progress you'll see.

Perhaps I phrased this wrong. I'm not working on certain muscle groups... I just target my evening workouts toward muscle building / strength, and in the a.m. is targeting endurance and cardio with the run.

I could be mistaken on how this works too... does running get a person some decent cardio workouts?

I don't have any weights or gym membership but I have resistance bands (8 different ones) that are supposed to be the same as lifting certain weight groups based on the level of resistance in each band. Will those work for now until I can get fundage for my own set of weights?

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
bud
Bleh

Good luck on your workouts... I quit working out a few years ago when I broke my hand. Tried to start back up a couple months ago and tore my meniscus. I guess I am just getting too old for this crap! :P

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
May the Force be w/you

Good luck Kim! You'll do great!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Good luck on your workouts... I quit working out a few years ago when I broke my hand. Tried to start back up a couple months ago and tore my meniscus. I guess I am just getting too old for this crap! :P

You can hold my feet so I can do some situps LOL! jk

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
bud
Bleh

Quote:
You can hold my feet so I can do some situps LOL! jk
Lol.. OK.. I am sure that I would burn a calorie or two holding feet...

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Lol.. OK.. I am sure that I would burn a calorie or two holding feet...

LMFAO! With as big of a struggle as my kids have holding my feet, you're surely bound to lose a good 200 cals per workout

I actually don't do situps, I've started with crunches to avoid back problems and because I'm a fat ass. I must take baby steps LOL!!!

I'm up to running a mile with no stops or slow downs ... I can do 2 miles if I take two 15 second walks after the first mile.

Hell, I've almost completely quit smoking too. I've had one cigar in a week LOL! I guess that's good considering my body is rejecting nicotine like oil to water.

I truly want to get on advocare products to maximize my nutritional supplements, however, I just don't have money to throw around like that, so I ordered the optimum nutrition suggested above so I'll post up results to let y'all know how that goes.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 AM
bud
Bleh

Quote:
LMFAO! With as big of a struggle as my kids have holding my feet, you're surely bound to lose a good 200 cals per workout

I actually don't do situps, I've started with crunches to avoid back problems and because I'm a fat ass. I must take baby steps LOL!!!
Prolly a good thing then... I usually get skeeved by feet... heh.

Quote:
I'm up to running a mile with no stops or slow downs ... I can do 2 miles if I take two 15 second walks after the first mile.

Hell, I've almost completely quit smoking too. I've had one cigar in a week LOL! I guess that's good considering my body is rejecting nicotine like oil to water.

I truly want to get on advocare products to maximize my nutritional supplements, however, I just don't have money to throw around like that, so I ordered the optimum nutrition suggested above so I'll post up results to let y'all know how that goes.
Well again... Good Luck!

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Sounds good Kim. Hows the kiddos doing? Its been awhile since I seen or talked to ya.

1999 Pewter Metalic T/A. M6 TDP stg 2, 6.0L LS2 heads, Comp hardend pushrods, MS3 cam, Harland Sharp 1.7 rr, LS2 cloyes timing chain, FAST92 combo, UD pullies, PRC dual valve springs, full length sfc, LCA's, adjustable phb, Torque arm, Richmond 4:10, all done and tuned by Simple Quick Racing.

www.fquick.com/avengedws6
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Hired Hand

It sounds like you're on the right track Kim. I'd like to back up poopnut's suggestion on the protein, Muscle Milk is "good," but it's over-priced, and has a bit more fat in it than you really need.

As for the tummy area, that's all about diet and patience. Keep at it, you'll get there.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedgt View Post
Sounds good Kim. Hows the kiddos doing? Its been awhile since I seen or talked to ya.

wow it has been a while! Kids are good! Everyone is healthy and happy so I have no complaints (except of course for the size of my ass LOL!!)

I've stepped off the muscle milk and am awaiting my pro complex shipment... should be there today :happy dance:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement