Ever pinch a nerve while lifting? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Ever pinch a nerve while lifting?

Pinched a nerve in my neck last Thursday while doing bench press of all things. It sucks, the entire right side of my trapezius is stiff and doesn't like moving. It's gotten much much better since last week but still bothers me enough to keep me away from going back and irritating it again. Sometimes I feel tingling radiate down my right arm too. Anybody else ever pinch a nerve while lifting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Pushed to the limit

I pinched a nerve in my neck while sparring. I had numbness and tingling down my left arm for several weeks. Also had almost no grip in my left hand. I didn't work out for about 3 weeks. It was a good three months before I didn't notice any symptoms.

Buying dogs kills.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
I pinched a nerve in my neck while sparring. I had numbness and tingling down my left arm for several weeks. Also had almost no grip in my left hand. I didn't work out for about 3 weeks. It was a good three months before I didn't notice any symptoms.
I was afraid of losing grip strength too but it's still the same as my left hand, so I must have not hit it as hard as you did. Did you do any stretches or exercises that helped with your symptoms? I'm trying to stretch my neck gently in all directions and I'm gaining range of motion back very quickly.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
blank

Yes, in my neck too, doing upright rows. Last week lifting my wrist gave out, now i cant even support my own weight on it. Guess i need to start wearing a wrap.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Lifer

Did it once doing incline db press. It put me on my ass for a day, with a brutal, throbbing pain any time i moved my neck at all. After that, it was better pretty quickly.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Mine was similar, couldn't really turn my head for about a week, also. I think I started lifting again too soon, because I ended up pulling a muscle in my back, probably due to involuntary compensation.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Mine was similar, couldn't really turn my head for about a week.
I've been there. F that.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Nobody

I did it a few years back looking down at the precise moment you shouldn't when squatting. I had never looked down before and haven't since, but damned if I didn't get nailed the one time. Sucked for a few days, and couldn't do anything overhead for a week.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Time Served

deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Pinched a nerve in my neck last Thursday while doing bench press of all things. It sucks, the entire right side of my trapezius is stiff and doesn't like moving. It's gotten much much better since last week but still bothers me enough to keep me away from going back and irritating it again. Sometimes I feel tingling radiate down my right arm too. Anybody else ever pinch a nerve while lifting?
i wish i could say i did mine working out or even working but my dumb ass fell asleep in the recliner saturday night and that is exacly what has happened this sux i can not even look down and the top of my shoulder is killing me! im a truck driver so im fucked tomarrow at work!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Do it at least once a month. Yeah it sucks.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
I did it a few years back looking down at the precise moment you shouldn't when squatting. I had never looked down before and haven't since, but damned if I didn't get nailed the one time. Sucked for a few days, and couldn't do anything overhead for a week.
That's similar to mine. I just happened to be lowering the weight and for some reason cocked my head up off the bench and that's when I felt it. Had to rack it and quit, sucks cause it was my first set of the workout!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
I was afraid of losing grip strength too but it's still the same as my left hand, so I must have not hit it as hard as you did. Did you do any stretches or exercises that helped with your symptoms? I'm trying to stretch my neck gently in all directions and I'm gaining range of motion back very quickly.
I decided just to take it easy and do range of motion exercises until I was able to fight again. I didn't do any specific exercises. I just tried to stay active without too much pressure.

The thing that really sucked was trying to sleep. I would get all comfy and fall asleep and then if I turned from my left side to my right side, the pain/tingling would wake me up. The only way that I could fall asleep was with my left arm under my pillow with my left hand touching the headboard.

Buying dogs kills.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I decided just to take it easy and do range of motion exercises until I was able to fight again. I didn't do any specific exercises. I just tried to stay active without too much pressure.

The thing that really sucked was trying to sleep. I would get all comfy and fall asleep and then if I turned from my left side to my right side, the pain/tingling would wake me up. The only way that I could fall asleep was with my left arm under my pillow with my left hand touching the headboard.
Sleeping has been hard for sure. I read online that if you pinch a nerve in your neck then sleeping a couple nights without a pillow can help, and it has definitely helped me sleep a lot longer into the night with a lot less pain.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
It put me on my ass for a day, with a brutal, throbbing pain any time i moved my neck at all. After that, it was better pretty quickly.
thats a dick suckers cramp. totally different!

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
Speaking from experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Time Served

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
lmao!

ABRACADABRA HOMES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement