I need advice from you workout gurus!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question I need advice from you workout gurus!!

I'm no expert on physical fitness.

I'm a league bowler and a bracket bowler. I got lazy during the winter and ate too many home cooked meals and desserts. And I drank too much beer and picked up a few gut pounds. And was pretty sedentary in the cold months. I'm 6' 0" and weighed in at 221 as of today.

After about 3 games my plant leg (left leg) is absolutely on fire and aching to the point where you want to take a Vicodin. I can take 3 Motrin and it will chill out and the pain will completely subside after an hour after I'm done bowling. And after about 4-5 games I'm flat out of gas in the cardio department. My strike balls are 15.5 lbs. and my spare ball is 14.5 lbs.

So, my bowling coach told me it's not a mechanics issue in regards to my approach, timing, release, or follow through. I'm about a 200 scratch bowler in competition. So, it's just me being plum out of shape.

I would like to know what kind of workout and type of cardio I should be doing specifically for a competitive bowler. What type of workouts would you guys recommend to address both of these issues?

Thanks.

- Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Not feeling a lot of love in here.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Time Served

Sounds like your leg issues are due to simple inactivity. I always hear from my inactive friends about how sore they are after we do some kind of physical activity and I just kind of quietly laugh at them. You probably just need to get your body used to taking the stress of planting and stabilizing your weight. Starting a jogging or biking program certainly couldn't hurt. It'd also be good to do some weight training for your arms considering how repetitive of a motion that you're doing, and taking a joint supplement wouldn't hurt either.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I am a Motherfucker

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Time Served

For cardio, the thing I found to be best is wind sprints. Find a jogging track, do a light warm up, then go. On the straight away sprint as fast as you can, then on the curves, walk. I guarantee that you will hate my guts for even mentioning them, but not much will get you in shape quicker.

98 GT.
5 Speed
3.73's
Full Exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
18" Chrome Cobra R's
PI swap.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Packin' up...

For strength I'd think "full body", core type, work outs would be best. Squat and dead lifts IMO would do great for you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I appreciate the input.

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Time Served

Start smoking crack! That will thin you up in hurry..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 AM
WTF is Zed?

Yoga for flexibility, and the standard fare of lunges, squats, deadlifts, etc for legs. And of course cardio. I would start out with low intensity and work your way up to sprints.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

well, i started riding my stationary bike and doing lunges. and i had about half the leg pain after league night than i have experienced previously. making some progress, i think.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement