I'm i doing enough cardio? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
I'm i doing enough cardio?

I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol
bert89coupe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
It never hurts to try more. Add another day or two at least for a month or so. The diet is definitely adding to the problem. Also, you could try incorporating some HIIT on alternate days.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
5 mph is pretty slow, do you go any faster? That might help a little. You burn the same calories but your heart rate will be higher for a while after you are done.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
AL P is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg. On my work days I get up at 2:40 am go to the gym, be at work at 4:30 am and get off at 4:00 pm, there's always time for working out, it's just usually when everyone is asleep. Days off I sleep in until 5:30.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
More wouldn't hurt at all, but stepping up the intensity is definetly the best way of going about burning more fat. For the best results you always have to take yourself out of your comfort zone and push it further as your body adapts to the conditioning.

For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post

For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.
This is something I have always recommended and done. I keep journals of both diet and workouts. I have boxes of notebooks going back to the late 90's. With smartphones today, it makes it even easier to keep track of everything. There are tons of apps for my Droid, but I still like using notebooks. They really keep you honest and takes the guesswork out of gains and losses.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg.
Did you fall off the running wagon?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Did you fall off the running wagon?
Hell no!! I'm referring to treadmill running. I only get to do outdoor running on my off days, but I get in enough miles and don't really consider it a "work out" more of an escape.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Hell no!! I'm referring to treadmill running. I only get to do outdoor running on my off days, but I get in enough miles and don't really consider it a "work out" more of an escape.
Gotcha, I won't run on a treadmill. If I can't get outside, due to weather, time or whatever, it's all about the speed rope.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Sir Clavin
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DTX
Posts: 3,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol
........
[CS]ls1haha is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
It never hurts to try more. Add another day or two at least for a month or so. The diet is definitely adding to the problem. Also, you could try incorporating some HIIT on alternate days.


I've been thinking about adding a day or two of that
bert89coupe is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
5 mph is pretty slow, do you go any faster? That might help a little. You burn the same calories but your heart rate will be higher for a while after you are done.


Yes, i tried something a little different last night. I was on there for 60min, including my cool down, jogged for 55min. First 5min was at 5mph. Next 15 at 5.5, next 15 at 6, then 10 at 5.5 then the last 10 at 5 again
bert89coupe is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
I also think i'm fixing to switch from lifting heavy to the light weight, higher rep and see what that does for me
bert89coupe is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
I'd up your intensity, I'm not a small guy or a big guy by any means but my average walking speed is 5 - 5.3 mph and when I'm running I'm at 6.7-7mph. You're diet is everything though.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I also think i'm fixing to switch from lifting heavy to the light weight, higher rep and see what that does for me
It'll make you smaller and weaker and not help burn any fat.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
It'll make you smaller and weaker and not help burn any fat.


really?



and i've been keeping my speed on the treadmill down because i was told that if i get my hart rate too high ,it'll start cutting into my muscle and i'd rather keep what little bit i have
bert89coupe is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
If you're wanting to maintain muscle while cutting, you're gonna have to supertune your diet, and lift as heavy as possible.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
If you're wanting to maintain muscle while cutting, you're gonna have to supertune your diet, and lift as heavy as possible.


Been lifting as heavy as possible, so i guess i'll keep it up. It's just frustrating cause my brother and his roomate are both taking shit and i'm over here doing it all natural. My brother is fixing to pass me with ease
bert89coupe is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Been lifting as heavy as possible, so i guess i'll keep it up. It's just frustrating cause my brother and his roomate are both taking shit and i'm over here doing it all natural. My brother is fixing to pass me with ease
Yeah but as soon as he get off said "shit" and doesn't keep up with his diet/workout then all that weight he took off will go right back on.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Yeah but as soon as he get off said "shit" and doesn't keep up with his diet/workout then all that weight he took off will go right back on.

Well, they're not really trying to lose weight. The roomate had a bottle of Spawn left and now they're both taking Dragon. I just don't have the money to be spending on that stuff lol
bert89coupe is offline  
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Well, they're not really trying to lose weight. The roomate had a bottle of Spawn left and now they're both taking Dragon. I just don't have the money to be spending on that stuff lol
Well, I'm not expert on the subject by any means. I'm learning as I go of course. But I don't take any supplements at all and I have lost alot of weight, gained alot of strength and endurance as well. So not taking any doesn't mean you can't make significant changes, but I guess it depends on what your over all goal is and what you are trying to achieve. Personally, I'm trying to lose at much fat as possible and push my endurance to the limit. I'm gaining alot of strength from the muscle I have gained, but it's not my focus since I'm already decent in the strength category.

My point is, figure out what your goal is and focus your training around that. If your plan is to get real big, then like Tex said you have to clean up your diet and hit the weights hard. There is no point in taking supplements if your diet is crap.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Well, I'm not expert on the subject by any means. I'm learning as I go of course. But I don't take any supplements at all and I have lost alot of weight, gained alot of strength and endurance as well. So not taking any doesn't mean you can't make significant changes, but I guess it depends on what your over all goal is and what you are trying to achieve. Personally, I'm trying to lose at much fat as possible and push my endurance to the limit. I'm gaining alot of strength from the muscle I have gained, but it's not my focus since I'm already decent in the strength category.

My point is, figure out what your goal is and focus your training around that. If your plan is to get real big, then like Tex said you have to clean up your diet and hit the weights hard. There is no point in taking supplements if your diet is crap.

I would't call my diet crap. It's just that usually my one cheat meal on cheat day turns into one a day on cheat weekend lol Besides that, it's pretty much spot on
bert89coupe is offline  
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
My point is, figure out what your goal is and focus your training around that. If your plan is to get real big, then like Tex said you have to clean up your diet and hit the weights hard. There is no point in taking supplements if your diet is crap.
What I said is if you're trying to maintain strength and mass while cutting you have to be spot on, if you're just trying to get big you can be much more lax in your diet. But, yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I would't call my diet crap. It's just that usually my one cheat meal on cheat day turns into one a day on cheat weekend lol Besides that, it's pretty much spot on
That just means you have shitty discipline, like me. That also means you either have to change your state of mind 24/7, or work that much harder to see results.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
What I said is if you're trying to maintain strength and mass while cutting you have to be spot on, if you're just trying to get big you can be much more lax in your diet. But, yeah.

That just means you have shitty discipline, like me. That also means you either have to change your state of mind 24/7, or work that much harder to see results.

Or do some kind of exercise 7days a week lol Seems like on days when i workout i have no desire what so ever to eat anything "bad". If i'm just sitting at the house, i'm like "hmm, i think there is some chocolate icecream in the freezer"
bert89coupe is offline  
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Then workout 6 days a week, and cheat one day. Obviously it'd be better if you could limit yourself to 1-2 cheat meals a week, total, but it's not an all or nothing scenario.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Or do some kind of exercise 7days a week lol Seems like on days when i workout i have no desire what so ever to eat anything "bad". If i'm just sitting at the house, i'm like "hmm, i think there is some chocolate icecream in the freezer"
I'm the same way, damn sweet tooth can definetly be a diet/motivation killer. lol.

Adam (ThreeFingerPete) gave me some great advice one day, he told me when you can't eat exactly strict as you would like (going out to eat with family/friends,events or just at home when you know it's going to hit you) just make better choices.

When the sweet tooth hits me, strawberries or watermelon are a good choice (especially compared to a bowl of ice cream) They are naturally sweet and low calorie. If you HAVE to have chocolate, try a small handful of peanut M&M's. They are mostly peanuts, very little chocolate but enough to give you a little taste.

Doesn't sound like much, but for someone who has struggled for a long time, it's helped me alot.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer
 
jnobles06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake Worthless
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I'm the same way, damn sweet tooth can definetly be a diet/motivation killer. lol.

Adam (ThreeFingerPete) gave me some great advice one day, he told me when you can't eat exactly strict as you would like (going out to eat with family/friends,events or just at home when you know it's going to hit you) just make better choices.

When the sweet tooth hits me, strawberries or watermelon are a good choice (especially compared to a bowl of ice cream) They are naturally sweet and low calorie. If you HAVE to have chocolate, try a small handful of peanut M&M's. They are mostly peanuts, very little chocolate but enough to give you a little taste.

Doesn't sound like much, but for someone who has struggled for a long time, it's helped me alot.
fat free pudding and strawberries ftw!!!!

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
jnobles06 is offline  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I'm the same way, damn sweet tooth can definetly be a diet/motivation killer. lol.

Adam (ThreeFingerPete) gave me some great advice one day, he told me when you can't eat exactly strict as you would like (going out to eat with family/friends,events or just at home when you know it's going to hit you) just make better choices.

When the sweet tooth hits me, strawberries or watermelon are a good choice (especially compared to a bowl of ice cream) They are naturally sweet and low calorie. If you HAVE to have chocolate, try a small handful of peanut M&M's. They are mostly peanuts, very little chocolate but enough to give you a little taste.

Doesn't sound like much, but for someone who has struggled for a long time, it's helped me alot.



Their is no such thing as a small handfull of peanut M&M's!!!!!
bert89coupe is offline  
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Their is no such thing as a small handfull of peanut M&M's!!!!!
I used to think so and thats how I got in this predictiment. lol.

Moderation of diet and hardwork, it's the only way.


Are you a competitive person? Maybe you're the type who needs a training partner who can push you and hold you accountable. Just an idea.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg. On my work days I get up at 2:40 am go to the gym, be at work at 4:30 am and get off at 4:00 pm, there's always time for working out, it's just usually when everyone is asleep. Days off I sleep in until 5:30.
I do burn a lot of cals lifting though. Im soaking wet now when im done. The heavier i get the more i sweat. haha
Cardio sucks for sho, my wife on the other hand loves it.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Is anyone factoring calorie intake vs calories burned during a normal day?

I take it that the OP is mainly conserned in burning stored fat.

What is the ratio for calories in vs calories burned per pound of body fat burned per day use a 33yr old male, 5'8" 200lbs?

I take in around 1200-1500 with three meals and according to my Polar F55 burn 2600cal in a 14hr period including my 30 minutes on the tread mill. I wear the thing during the day from sun up till I jump in the shower after my cardio is done. That is where the 14hrs come from.
sonic93 is offline  
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Their is no such thing as a small handfull of peanut M&M's!!!!!
I used to count out 15 almonds, package them in individual snack bags and take only one to work everyday back when I prepared all my own meals. But then again I am OCD.
sonic93 is offline  
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I used to count out 15 almonds, package them in individual snack bags and take only one to work everyday back when I prepared all my own meals. But then again I am OCD.


I used to eat a handful of almonds for my snacks during the day. I switched over to protien bars sometime back. Maybe i need to go back to almonds
bert89coupe is offline  
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I used to think so and thats how I got in this predictiment. lol.

Moderation of diet and hardwork, it's the only way.


Are you a competitive person? Maybe you're the type who needs a training partner who can push you and hold you accountable. Just an idea.


I am and that's why i'm glad my brother and a buddy are working out with me. The heavier the lift, the more i will want to. They don't do cardio, so i'm on my own there.
bert89coupe is offline  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kaufman
Posts: 446
I am not an expert, but in my experience straight line running, but it on a track, outdoors, or on a treadmill is great for building endurance, but not so great for burning fat. I play tennis and the best fat burner is a solid baseline player that yanks you side to side across the court. This may sound weird and feel weirder, but try turning sideways on the treadmill and side stepping for about 10 minutes on each side. See if it gets you anywhere.

98 GT.
5 Speed
3.73's
Full Exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
18" Chrome Cobra R's
PI swap.
JC316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome