I'm i doing enough cardio? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

I'm i doing enough cardio?

I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Nobody

It never hurts to try more. Add another day or two at least for a month or so. The diet is definitely adding to the problem. Also, you could try incorporating some HIIT on alternate days.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Worship me

5 mph is pretty slow, do you go any faster? That might help a little. You burn the same calories but your heart rate will be higher for a while after you are done.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Nobody

Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg. On my work days I get up at 2:40 am go to the gym, be at work at 4:30 am and get off at 4:00 pm, there's always time for working out, it's just usually when everyone is asleep. Days off I sleep in until 5:30.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
More wouldn't hurt at all, but stepping up the intensity is definetly the best way of going about burning more fat. For the best results you always have to take yourself out of your comfort zone and push it further as your body adapts to the conditioning.

For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post

For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.
This is something I have always recommended and done. I keep journals of both diet and workouts. I have boxes of notebooks going back to the late 90's. With smartphones today, it makes it even easier to keep track of everything. There are tons of apps for my Droid, but I still like using notebooks. They really keep you honest and takes the guesswork out of gains and losses.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg.
Did you fall off the running wagon?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Did you fall off the running wagon?
Hell no!! I'm referring to treadmill running. I only get to do outdoor running on my off days, but I get in enough miles and don't really consider it a "work out" more of an escape.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Hell no!! I'm referring to treadmill running. I only get to do outdoor running on my off days, but I get in enough miles and don't really consider it a "work out" more of an escape.
Gotcha, I won't run on a treadmill. If I can't get outside, due to weather, time or whatever, it's all about the speed rope.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Sir Clavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
It never hurts to try more. Add another day or two at least for a month or so. The diet is definitely adding to the problem. Also, you could try incorporating some HIIT on alternate days.

I've been thinking about adding a day or two of that
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
5 mph is pretty slow, do you go any faster? That might help a little. You burn the same calories but your heart rate will be higher for a while after you are done.

Yes, i tried something a little different last night. I was on there for 60min, including my cool down, jogged for 55min. First 5min was at 5mph. Next 15 at 5.5, next 15 at 6, then 10 at 5.5 then the last 10 at 5 again
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

I also think i'm fixing to switch from lifting heavy to the light weight, higher rep and see what that does for me
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
You never go full retard

I'd up your intensity, I'm not a small guy or a big guy by any means but my average walking speed is 5 - 5.3 mph and when I'm running I'm at 6.7-7mph. You're diet is everything though.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
I also think i'm fixing to switch from lifting heavy to the light weight, higher rep and see what that does for me
It'll make you smaller and weaker and not help burn any fat.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
It'll make you smaller and weaker and not help burn any fat.

really?

and i've been keeping my speed on the treadmill down because i was told that if i get my hart rate too high ,it'll start cutting into my muscle and i'd rather keep what little bit i have
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
tex
Lifer

If you're wanting to maintain muscle while cutting, you're gonna have to supertune your diet, and lift as heavy as possible.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
If you're wanting to maintain muscle while cutting, you're gonna have to supertune your diet, and lift as heavy as possible.

Been lifting as heavy as possible, so i guess i'll keep it up. It's just frustrating cause my brother and his roomate are both taking shit and i'm over here doing it all natural. My brother is fixing to pass me with ease
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Been lifting as heavy as possible, so i guess i'll keep it up. It's just frustrating cause my brother and his roomate are both taking shit and i'm over here doing it all natural. My brother is fixing to pass me with ease
Yeah but as soon as he get off said "shit" and doesn't keep up with his diet/workout then all that weight he took off will go right back on.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Yeah but as soon as he get off said "shit" and doesn't keep up with his diet/workout then all that weight he took off will go right back on.

Well, they're not really trying to lose weight. The roomate had a bottle of Spawn left and now they're both taking Dragon. I just don't have the money to be spending on that stuff lol
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Well, they're not really trying to lose weight. The roomate had a bottle of Spawn left and now they're both taking Dragon. I just don't have the money to be spending on that stuff lol
Well, I'm not expert on the subject by any means. I'm learning as I go of course. But I don't take any supplements at all and I have lost alot of weight, gained alot of strength and endurance as well. So not taking any doesn't mean you can't make significant changes, but I guess it depends on what your over all goal is and what you are trying to achieve. Personally, I'm trying to lose at much fat as possible and push my endurance to the limit. I'm gaining alot of strength from the muscle I have gained, but it's not my focus since I'm already decent in the strength category.

My point is, figure out what your goal is and focus your training around that. If your plan is to get real big, then like Tex said you have to clean up your diet and hit the weights hard. There is no point in taking supplements if your diet is crap.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Well, I'm not expert on the subject by any means. I'm learning as I go of course. But I don't take any supplements at all and I have lost alot of weight, gained alot of strength and endurance as well. So not taking any doesn't mean you can't make significant changes, but I guess it depends on what your over all goal is and what you are trying to achieve. Personally, I'm trying to lose at much fat as possible and push my endurance to the limit. I'm gaining alot of strength from the muscle I have gained, but it's not my focus since I'm already decent in the strength category.

My point is, figure out what your goal is and focus your training around that. If your plan is to get real big, then like Tex said you have to clean up your diet and hit the weights hard. There is no point in taking supplements if your diet is crap.

I would't call my diet crap. It's just that usually my one cheat meal on cheat day turns into one a day on cheat weekend lol Besides that, it's pretty much spot on
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
What I said is if you're trying to maintain strength and mass while cutting you have to be spot on, if you're just trying to get big you can be much more lax in your diet. But, yeah.
Quote:
I would't call my diet crap. It's just that usually my one cheat meal on cheat day turns into one a day on cheat weekend lol Besides that, it's pretty much spot on
That just means you have shitty discipline, like me. That also means you either have to change your state of mind 24/7, or work that much harder to see results.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
What I said is if you're trying to maintain strength and mass while cutting you have to be spot on, if you're just trying to get big you can be much more lax in your diet. But, yeah.

That just means you have shitty discipline, like me. That also means you either have to change your state of mind 24/7, or work that much harder to see results.

Or do some kind of exercise 7days a week lol Seems like on days when i workout i have no desire what so ever to eat anything "bad". If i'm just sitting at the house, i'm like "hmm, i think there is some chocolate icecream in the freezer"
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
tex
Lifer

Then workout 6 days a week, and cheat one day. Obviously it'd be better if you could limit yourself to 1-2 cheat meals a week, total, but it's not an all or nothing scenario.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Or do some kind of exercise 7days a week lol Seems like on days when i workout i have no desire what so ever to eat anything "bad". If i'm just sitting at the house, i'm like "hmm, i think there is some chocolate icecream in the freezer"
I'm the same way, damn sweet tooth can definetly be a diet/motivation killer. lol.

Adam (ThreeFingerPete) gave me some great advice one day, he told me when you can't eat exactly strict as you would like (going out to eat with family/friends,events or just at home when you know it's going to hit you) just make better choices.

When the sweet tooth hits me, strawberries or watermelon are a good choice (especially compared to a bowl of ice cream) They are naturally sweet and low calorie. If you HAVE to have chocolate, try a small handful of peanut M&M's. They are mostly peanuts, very little chocolate but enough to give you a little taste.

Doesn't sound like much, but for someone who has struggled for a long time, it's helped me alot.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm the same way, damn sweet tooth can definetly be a diet/motivation killer. lol.

Adam (ThreeFingerPete) gave me some great advice one day, he told me when you can't eat exactly strict as you would like (going out to eat with family/friends,events or just at home when you know it's going to hit you) just make better choices.

When the sweet tooth hits me, strawberries or watermelon are a good choice (especially compared to a bowl of ice cream) They are naturally sweet and low calorie. If you HAVE to have chocolate, try a small handful of peanut M&M's. They are mostly peanuts, very little chocolate but enough to give you a little taste.

Doesn't sound like much, but for someone who has struggled for a long time, it's helped me alot.
fat free pudding and strawberries ftw!!!!

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:

Their is no such thing as a small handfull of peanut M&M's!!!!!
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I used to think so and thats how I got in this predictiment. lol.

Moderation of diet and hardwork, it's the only way.

Are you a competitive person? Maybe you're the type who needs a training partner who can push you and hold you accountable. Just an idea.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg. On my work days I get up at 2:40 am go to the gym, be at work at 4:30 am and get off at 4:00 pm, there's always time for working out, it's just usually when everyone is asleep. Days off I sleep in until 5:30.
I do burn a lot of cals lifting though. Im soaking wet now when im done. The heavier i get the more i sweat. haha
Cardio sucks for sho, my wife on the other hand loves it.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Lifer

Is anyone factoring calorie intake vs calories burned during a normal day?

I take it that the OP is mainly conserned in burning stored fat.

What is the ratio for calories in vs calories burned per pound of body fat burned per day use a 33yr old male, 5'8" 200lbs?

I take in around 1200-1500 with three meals and according to my Polar F55 burn 2600cal in a 14hr period including my 30 minutes on the tread mill. I wear the thing during the day from sun up till I jump in the shower after my cardio is done. That is where the 14hrs come from.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I used to count out 15 almonds, package them in individual snack bags and take only one to work everyday back when I prepared all my own meals. But then again I am OCD.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I used to count out 15 almonds, package them in individual snack bags and take only one to work everyday back when I prepared all my own meals. But then again I am OCD.

I used to eat a handful of almonds for my snacks during the day. I switched over to protien bars sometime back. Maybe i need to go back to almonds
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
I used to think so and thats how I got in this predictiment. lol.

Moderation of diet and hardwork, it's the only way.

Are you a competitive person? Maybe you're the type who needs a training partner who can push you and hold you accountable. Just an idea.

I am and that's why i'm glad my brother and a buddy are working out with me. The heavier the lift, the more i will want to. They don't do cardio, so i'm on my own there.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Time Served

I am not an expert, but in my experience straight line running, but it on a track, outdoors, or on a treadmill is great for building endurance, but not so great for burning fat. I play tennis and the best fat burner is a solid baseline player that yanks you side to side across the court. This may sound weird and feel weirder, but try turning sideways on the treadmill and side stepping for about 10 minutes on each side. See if it gets you anywhere.

98 GT.
5 Speed
3.73's
Full Exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
18" Chrome Cobra R's
PI swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement