Calories burned? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

Calories burned?

How many calories do you burn if you workout for 2 hours with weights, focused and with intensity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Very Interesting

it's going to vary person to person, and how much downtime between exercises, etc...

Also your weight will vary the ammount of calories burned.

but here's a good reference

A 300 pound person, weightlifting (moderately) for 2 hours - burns about 800 calories
A 300 pound person, weightlifting (vigorously) for 2 hours - burns about 1500 calories

while

A 200 pound man, weightlifiting (moderately) for 2 hours - burns about 550 calories
A 200 pound man, weightlifiting (vigorously) for 2 hours - burns about 1000 calories

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Very Interesting

btw, I used this site, they have a lot of activities you can see burned calories, as a guideline.

www.caloriesperhour.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

so it's a myth that lifting burns twice much as cardio.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I've never heard that...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I have no idea where the "twice" value comes from, but that idea may stem from the fact that lifting builds muscle and muscles take calories to operate and maintain on a daily basis. More muscle = more calories burned while not working out.

The actual workout is definitely not twice as many calories though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Very Interesting

I've never heard that myth.

Calories burned is kind a guestimated science, as everyone's body reacts differently.

One thing to keep in mind as you lose weight, is that because of the weight loss the same activities don't burn the same number of calories. This is one of the major contributing factors to the "plateau" effect people have. If you hit a wall with your weightloss, work out harder, or longer, to burn more calories.

The difference for a 250 pound man between, walking at 3.5 mph for an hour, and 4mph for an hour, is just 150 calories.

But the difference for the same man walking at 4mph for 30 min vs 4mph for 1 hour is 200 calories.

Lately I've been focusing on calories burned for the day vs time/distance, etc.

I do an hour on the treadmill with varying speeds, but never below 3mph, and that's usually just for a short period of time to get my shin pain to subside enough to step back up to 3.5-4mph.

Today, according to the treadmill readout, I burned 670 calories in my 1 hour cardio session with a 5 min cooldown.

Considering my dinner of a footlong oven roasted chicken on wheat sub from subway is about 700 calories, it's like a free meal

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

I'm just trying to figure out ABOUT how many I'm burning at the gym now to ajust my diet. 2 hrs focused lifting plus 5 miles on the mill. I never entered my weight and age on the programmer but I did today to find out I'm burning 50% more then I thought I was.

I'm trying to take it slower and adding alittle more calories. My guesstimate is about 1300 cals a day when I stay the whole 3 hours.

Soooo 3500 - 1300 = 2200 cals total daily intake, wich is about a pound of fat a week lost. Is this sound reasoning? lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Very Interesting

You're forgetting the rest of your day. Use the site I posted to see how many calories you burn while sleeping, working, and even watching tv/etc.

1 - Add up all the calories in a normal day (no working out), sitting, working, sleeping, walking, etc. This is your basic caloric need.

2 - Add up the same thing, but add your working out/running/walking, etc. - This is your active calorie need.

Now number 1 should be how many calories you need to "maintain" your weight in a normal day. So if your calorie intake is less than this number, you're already in a good spot. But basically take your total consumed calories, 3500 and subtract number 2, to get your deficit. While the old rule of 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat is mostly true, it's again not an exact science to actual fat loss.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Lifer

how accurate are those heart monitors, that also show calories burned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-less Chris
i got 20 says you car wont run in this year..now go run along and play on ls1tech..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-less Chris
damn it son..i only had a few more days..sunnmamabitchin asshat! alight jaypee ill meet ya and pay ya your 20..fuckstick!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINKRD View Post
how accurate are those heart monitors, that also show calories burned?
depends on which ones, and how much information you give it.

A key is telling it your height and weight, before starting a workout, if you are talking about the ones on the treadmill/eliptical, etc. Also I'd recommend having it check your heart rate every 5-10 minutes, so it can get an accurate measure. I'd say they are 80-90 percent accurate, they are basically pre-programmed with the calculations, but like I posted earlier, there is no exact science it's all a game of "averages" when dealing with calories burned.

The heart rate monitors that you wear the whole time, typically can give you a better guage on calories burned as it monitors you consistantly over time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement