Any good diet?? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44
Any good diet??

6ft 1in
190 lbs

Currently doing 6-8 hours basketball per week for cardio, once the weather is more consistent going to add 5 hours of swimming. Working on legs, chest, and arms at the gym.

Looking for a diet to follow to drop a couple of pounds while gaining muscle. Remained same weight/height since sophomore year in 06.

I'm on a restrictive budget, just a poor college student. Not opposed to squeezing out a couple of $$ for supplements or vitamins if they come highly recommended.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Bryan
Weems is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Pilgrim
 
Phillystang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,086
I have heard a lot of good things about the plan in a book called Body For Life by Bill Phillips. It's probably the least restrictive plan I've seen as far as foods go.

6 small meals a day. Each meal consists of a palm/fist size portion each of protein and a carbohydrate. 2 of the 6 meals add a vegetable to it.

In addition to the diet and workouts laid out in the book, it has some very good mindset and motivational aspects that a lot of "diet books" lack. Plus a very good section that answers several diet/muscle building "myths".

I was able to pick up a copy at Half Price books for $1 on clearance.

Good Luck!
Phillystang is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I am a Motherfucker
 
FunFordCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Front of the bus
Posts: 5,509
One of these every 2 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13047af8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	97797  
FunFordCobra is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
I think it's pretty simple to eat really well... just eat like a caveman. Fruits, veggies, meat & eggs. No breads, pasta, rice, processed foods, etc.

I've been eating like this for the last 6 weeks or so, man what a difference. I feel so much better. Natural, wholesome food is not just good for the body, but great for brain function as well.
UserX is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
I think it's pretty simple to eat really well... just eat like a caveman. Fruits, veggies, meat & eggs. No breads, pasta, rice, processed foods, etc.

I've been eating like this for the last 6 weeks or so, man what a difference. I feel so much better. Natural, wholesome food is not just good for the body, but great for brain function as well.
Are you doing the Paleo diet, or just freelancing it?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Are you doing the Paleo diet, or just freelancing it?
Pretty much with a couple exceptions... I drink my soymilk in the morning and before bed and eat nuts everyday. I'm just trying to eat things that come from the earth.
UserX is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
I hate soy milk, and it pretty much goes completely against the grain of the paleo concept. I prefer coconut or almond milk, but then again, I'm not trying to follow that plan, I just cut out diary and grains/pastas/wheats.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 431
I had great results on BFL back in 99 or so when it came out. I dropped 27 lbs overall, (194 to 167 at 5'10") Most of the weight loss was in the first 4-5 weeks.

Paleo makes sense, but it can be expensive and harder to keep up with while at work/school, etc. (Organic lean meats and fresh veggies for every meal can really add up!) With BFL, you can pack meal bars, etc. and use them to replace meals when you're on the go. You can buy pre-made Paleo kits http://paleokits.bigcartel.com/ to take with you on the go (Jerky and dried fruits/veggies) but they cost about as much as eating out, so that sounds like it might be out of the question.

A lot of CrossFitters stick to the Zone diet, but again, it can be hard to stick to with a busy schedule (you have to measure out portions ("blocks") etc.) I've seen a lot of great results from the Zone, but you really need to plan ahead on your shopping and meal prep. (I didn't do either of those at all when in college.) Plus, it can take a while to prep/eat, it's surprising how much you have to eat sometimes on the Zone to get all of your blocks!
Scott H is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I had great results on BFL back in 99 or so when it came out. I dropped 27 lbs overall, (194 to 167 at 5'10") Most of the weight loss was in the first 4-5 weeks.

Paleo makes sense, but it can be expensive and harder to keep up with while at work/school, etc. (Organic lean meats and fresh veggies for every meal can really add up!) With BFL, you can pack meal bars, etc. and use them to replace meals when you're on the go. You can buy pre-made Paleo kits http://paleokits.bigcartel.com/ to take with you on the go (Jerky and dried fruits/veggies) but they cost about as much as eating out, so that sounds like it might be out of the question.

A lot of CrossFitters stick to the Zone diet, but again, it can be hard to stick to with a busy schedule (you have to measure out portions ("blocks") etc.) I've seen a lot of great results from the Zone, but you really need to plan ahead on your shopping and meal prep. (I didn't do either of those at all when in college.) Plus, it can take a while to prep/eat, it's surprising how much you have to eat sometimes on the Zone to get all of your blocks!
A lot of these issues are the problem with recommending them to a newcomer to healthy eating. Most people will see great results by just changing their attitude about food. Lean meats and veggies in place of gravy dipped fried proteins with processed cheesy sides will go a LONG way. Things like the Zone are for people looking for specific results, and often times the strictness of the diets turn off people who don't necessarily need that strict of a diet.

People don't have to eat organic meats with every meal to see great results, and frozen veggies are a superb alternative to common plate fillers.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
A lot of these issues are the problem with recommending them to a newcomer to healthy eating. Most people will see great results by just changing their attitude about food. Lean meats and veggies in place of gravy dipped fried proteins with processed cheesy sides will go a LONG way. Things like the Zone are for people looking for specific results, and often times the strictness of the diets turn off people who don't necessarily need that strict of a diet.

People don't have to eat organic meats with every meal to see great results, and frozen veggies are a superb alternative to common plate fillers.
Agreed, Good point. That's why I tried to highlight some of the cons ahead of time before saying, "do this one." I should have gone on more about general eating and awareness and made a suggestion, instead of just poking holes in all of them. The one you can stick with is the one that works the best.

BFL was a big eye opener for me, because it made me much more aware of what I was putting into my body, and what the portion sizes really need to be. I think Paleo would be a smart, easy to understand lifestyle change (I don't even want to use the word "diet", because that has a short-term connotation) and even just shooting for that as a baseline would yield incredible results over the typical college diet. When I was doing BFL, I was working for a dotcom, so I didn't have time to prepare the elaborate BFL-ized meals, so my actual meals looked a lot more like the Paleo diet, just for its simplicity. (bag of chopped veggies and reheated lean meats I had cooked up over the weekend.) I guess the only deviation from the current Paleo diet would be that I did supplement at least 1-2 meals a day with a Myoplex bar/shake. (I always did wonder about that stuff though, since it was pricey and sold by the creators of the diet) and I did take advantage of BFL's weekly "cheat day."
Scott H is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
The only problem with the word diet is that people associate it with a short term idea, when in reality it simply means everything you consume. No matter what a person eats, that's their 'diet.' Getting that point across to a person is the easiest way to highlight the concept of fads and short-term eating plans.

Most of my carbs come in the form of a PoWO shake, usually made with a couple bananas, almond or coconut milk, couple scoops of Myoplex and some almond butter. Other wise it's all pretty clean. There are carbs in veggies, but no other processed carbs. I do eat bacon like an addict, but if uncured bacon is the worst thing I'm eating on a regular basis, I think I'll be ok.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome