Okay, started running today - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Okay, started running today

I just recently turned 30 and Iv been married a while now. So, I dont keep in shape like I used to. Im 6'0" 185lbs and a little out of shape.

So I decided to be dedicated and start running and lose my gut for the summer. I ran 1 mile in 10:24 and felt like I was going to die.

Id like to get up to 3-4 miles at a time. And id like to get my mile sub 9 minute.

Crazy how out of shape I am, wonder how long this will take til it starts getting easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Lifer

depends on how often you run, I'm 20 lbs heavier than you and run a 7 minutes mile. My goal is to have that down around five in tennis shoes and around 6 in boots. So I run alot, pretty much every day even after my workout.

Just don't push it so hard where you wanna give up after a few times. Keep it simple and work your way up gradually and you should be fine. I'd be willing to bet if you really wanted to you could run the 9 min mile right now.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
tex
Lifer

Start off with a off the shelf program like Couch to 5k. If you're progressing faster than the program, you can modify the routine to fit your performance, but having a written guide will make it easier to avoid over training or burnout.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Lifer

i recently started running again too
my suggestion is to run atleast two miles if possible , as slow as necessary but not walking.
Do that about 10 work out days (take time to get unsore also)
Then run for 30 minutes slow, which should be about 3 miles.
Do that about 15 days . Things will start to be a bit easier after this many workouts.
once you can run all 30 minutes without dying , start trying to speed it up
go back to two miles but run faster like 7 min miles.
I've been doing that for awhile now and I think i might finally be able to keep a whole decent pace for 30 minutes now.

The most important thing when you first start running again is to get into that pace/ rythem your body likes. Some days it won't be as obvious.
You'll know youre in the zone when you can run say part of your jog without even thinking about it like youre walking. The trick is to not think about it!

tommorow is my hill day. Im just gonna turn up the treadmill to ten degrees and keep going until i die. man i used to hate hill days in cross country....death seems easier

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Time Served

Congrats on the choice to start running. I'm 6' tall, and when I started running last August I weighed somewhere between 190 and 195. I made some minor diet changes, worked my way up to three miles a day, and as of today I've lost a total of about 50 pounds. I've stopped running so much now, and I'm hitting the weights to try and put some weight back on. My advice to you is to get some good running shoes and stick with it no matter how bad it hurts and you'll see the benefits rather quickly. IMHO there's nothing that will get you in shape faster than running.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3d View Post
Congrats on the choice to start running. I'm 6' tall, and when I started running last August I weighed somewhere between 190 and 195. I made some minor diet changes, worked my way up to three miles a day, and as of today I've lost a total of about 50 pounds. I've stopped running so much now, and I'm hitting the weights to try and put some weight back on. My advice to you is to get some good running shoes and stick with it no matter how bad it hurts and you'll see the benefits rather quickly. IMHO there's nothing that will get you in shape faster than running.
Your 6 foot and weigh 145? Wow, that is skinny as hell. I need to lose about 50 but I think running is going to be hard on my knees and feet. But I guess once you get past the initial soreness, it should start to be easier.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

I ran about 2 miles monday for the first time in well over a year. My calve muscles are still killing me. I plan on doing it again tonight but spending a little more time stretching before and after.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
I ran about 2 miles monday for the first time in well over a year. My calve muscles are still killing me. I plan on doing it again tonight but spending a little more time stretching before and after.
DO NOT 'stretch' before, do a dynamic warm-up. Static stretching has a time and place, but it is most definitely not advantageous BEFORE an activity. Static stretching will temporarily weakens/relaxes muscles, strain ligaments, and basically open you up for injuries.

Here is an in-depth article explaining extensive dynamic warm-ups.

It's overkill for a basic run, but the information is the important part. It doesn't matter what exercises you choose, as long as you slowly warm up while working up to a full range of motion.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
CEO of......

started back last week on the treadmill after my workouts. I'm on there for 40-45min. I walk to first and last 5min and run at 5mph in between.

Question, i don't want to go to fast if i'm trying to burn fat, correct?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
started back last week on the treadmill after my workouts. I'm on there for 40-45min. I walk to first and last 5min and run at 5mph in between.

The fat burning zone is a pseudo myth. While it is true that you burn a higher percentage of fat when staying in that zone, overall caloric output will be greater the harder you run thus speeding up your weightloss. It's all the same caloric pool in the long run, I'll see if I can find the posts I've made on this in the past.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
not exclude

From a post earlier this year:

First, it's true, you burn a higher percentage of fat than carbs while working out at low intensity. However, those carbs you don't burn will simply be turned into fat at a later point in time. Point being, fat and carbs are essentially the same pot of caloric energy when it comes down to it, they are just at different states in the body. You need to focus on total caloric output, not if you are burning fat vs. carb calories.

Second, the total amount of fat burned (over the same amount of time) will be almost the same in low vs. high intensity workouts, with much more total calories being burned in the high intensity workout. Low intensity workouts can take up to double the amount of time to burn the same amount of calories as a moderate to high intensity workout.

Third, aerobic training does very little to nothing to preserve the muscle. Yes, this can be offset by weight training, but 1lb of muscle can burn somewhere in the realm of 50 calories a day just by existing and maintaining, so why not do all we can to preserve what we/he has?

I'm not saying you need to end your workout barely being able to scrape yourself off the treadmill, but you need to be doing a little more than walking. There's no great, ripped athlete out there that got to that single digit body fat % by walking quickly.

Some articles that may have worded it better than me:
http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources..._zone_myth.asp
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...rning-Zone.htm
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post

just concentrate on calories taken in, and calories burned.

Let's say you need 2500 calories a day to maintian your weight.
You decided to create a 500 calorie deficit, and eat 2000 calories a day.
In "theory" that's a pound a week lost.
Now let's say you add in 1000 calories burned while on the treadmill, i don't care if you walk or run, you'll burn the same calories in the same distance (basically).
Now you've created a 1500 calorie deficit, again in "theory".
You would see 3 pounds a week lost if you did this 7 days a week.

Again, there's 9 million things to consider here to make an exact science out of it, but the theory is sound, and well it works.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
The fat burning zone is a pseudo myth. While it is true that you burn a higher percentage of fat when staying in that zone, overall caloric output will be greater the harder you run thus speeding up your weightloss. It's all the same caloric pool in the long run, I'll see if I can find the posts I've made on this in the past.
Quote:

First, it's true, you burn a higher percentage of fat than carbs while working out at low intensity. However, those carbs you don't burn will simply be turned into fat at a later point in time. Point being, fat and carbs are essentially the same pot of caloric energy when it comes down to it, they are just at different states in the body. You need to focus on total caloric output, not if you are burning fat vs. carb calories.

Second, the total amount of fat burned (over the same amount of time) will be almost the same in low vs. high intensity workouts, with much more total calories being burned in the high intensity workout. Low intensity workouts can take up to double the amount of time to burn the same amount of calories as a moderate to high intensity workout.

Third, aerobic training does very little to nothing to preserve the muscle. Yes, this can be offset by weight training, but 1lb of muscle can burn somewhere in the realm of 50 calories a day just by existing and maintaining, so why not do all we can to preserve what we/he has?

I'm not saying you need to end your workout barely being able to scrape yourself off the treadmill, but you need to be doing a little more than walking. There's no great, ripped athlete out there that got to that single digit body fat % by walking quickly.

Though I do agree that high-intensity cardio can burn more calories over-all, the fat-burning zone is far from being a myth. The FB zone comes in to play for those of us that want to lose fat, but are also concerned with preserving as much lean mass as possible. In staying in the FB zone fat may be burned at a lower rate, but the carbs are spared, and are used to feed the muscle tissue and guard against atrophy.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
CEO of......

Quote:

Yeah, my walks are just to warm up and cool down
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Though I do agree that high-intensity cardio can burn more calories over-all, the fat-burning zone is far from being a myth. The FB zone comes in to play for those of us that want to lose fat, but are also concerned with preserving as much lean mass as possible. In staying in the FB zone fat may be burned at a lower rate, but the carbs are spared, and are used to feed the muscle tissue and guard against atrophy.
I'm of the mindset that if you want to lose fat and retain lean muscle mass, you're workouts would be best geared toward the anaerobic type (sprints, HIIT, crossfit, etc.)

Not that the FB zone or cardio can't do it, it just doesn't do it as well.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
I'm of the mindset that if you want to lose fat and retain lean muscle mass, you're workouts would be best geared toward the anaerobic type (sprints, HIIT, crossfit, etc.)

Not that the FB zone or cardio can't do it, it just doesn't do it as well.
If you're not doing some hypertrophy work in addition to the things you mentioned, you'll lose muscle mass, too.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Your 6 foot and weigh 145? Wow, that is skinny as hell. I need to lose about 50 but I think running is going to be hard on my knees and feet. But I guess once you get past the initial soreness, it should start to be easier.
Yeah, I should have started lifting when I got to 165 instead of staying on the treadmill.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
The Medium Kabuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
DO NOT 'stretch' before, do a dynamic warm-up. Static stretching has a time and place, but it is most definitely not advantageous BEFORE an activity. Static stretching will temporarily weakens/relaxes muscles, strain ligaments, and basically open you up for injuries.

Here is an in-depth article explaining extensive dynamic warm-ups.

It's overkill for a basic run, but the information is the important part. It doesn't matter what exercises you choose, as long as you slowly warm up while working up to a full range of motion.
I don't "stretch" before a run. I'm at ~30/per week. I'm a big guy - 6'3" and 225lb. I'm not fast, but I can put in some miles.

I also recommend something similar to runner's world 5k plan. Here is where I was about 2 years ago -
Mon = 2-3 miles easy (where you can still hold a conversation)
Tue = off
Wed = 2-3 easy with the last .5-1 hard
Thu = off
Fri = cross train (bike, eliptical, etc)
Sat = 1/2 warmup, 4 x 800 at the pace you wish you could run for a 5k, 400 walk/jog inbetween, 1/2 cool down
Sun = 1.5-2 times your longest run during the week - nice easy pace - don't even wear a watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Lifer

i don't stretch at all
unless something just feels tight before or after like a specific muscle
or like a calve feels crampy or something

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLfanatic View Post
I just recently turned 30 and Iv been married a while now. So, I dont keep in shape like I used to. Im 6'0" 185lbs and a little out of shape.

So I decided to be dedicated and start running and lose my gut for the summer. I ran 1 mile in 10:24 and felt like I was going to die.

Id like to get up to 3-4 miles at a time. And id like to get my mile sub 9 minute.

Crazy how out of shape I am, wonder how long this will take til it starts getting easier
Couch to 5K running plan is where it's at man... take a look.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Lifer

I started running about a year ago and I'm running 11 miles at a time now. My advice is to take it slow the first couple months and let your knees, tendons, shins, and calves get accustomed to running before you go all out. I used to run everyday but due to my job I'm tired as hell when I get home. Now I just run on the weekends. Oh yeah and invest in some damn good RUNNING shoes. I use Fleet Feet feet for my shoes. Using Nike Vomero 4's with NIKE +. Keeps me motivated!

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Very Interesting

I'm still working my way up to running. I've been walking at what some people "jog" at. 3.5-4mph.

Monday - 3.25 miles
Tuesday - 3.5 miles
Wednesday - 3.75 miles

Today - 4 miles and I jogged .25 mile at 6mph, after my 5 minute warm up, then went back to my walking pace.

Right now I'm suffering from very sore shins, feet that go numb, and terrible form. Then again, I've never done more than 1.5 miles on a treadmill EVER, before Monday.

I was running in some cheap 40 dollar Adidas running shoes, I got over a year ago.

Today I picked up a pair of New Balance 760 Stability's. I can definately tell it's more comfortable to walk/jog in these, but jesus my shins still hurt, while I'm on the treadmill. Today after 4 miles, I hit the stationary bike for a bit, and did some stretching by pedaling with my toes, at full extension for 5 minutes or so.

I really hope I can get past this part in a few weeks, and get into some consistant longer period running.

But burning 600-1000 calories in an hour sure is a bonus, and does help keep me motivated.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
The Medium Kabuki

Just my opinion - this is caused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Right now I'm suffering from very sore shins, feet that go numb,

but jesus my shins still hurt
by this

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
treadmill.
The shoe can sometimes be a contributing factor and so can form, but I know more people who have problems that are on treadmills vs. ppl not on treadmills.

Either way - keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Lifer

The shin splints will go away in time. Mine come back if I don't run for a couple weeks. Just hang in there Matt. I remember it was hell getting passed the soreness stage when I first started. Keep in mind I'm running outside in the heat on pavement. It's alot harder than the treadmill. I made the mistake of running strictly on thr treadmill. I got to about four miles then decided to run outside. I ran about 1 mile and was beat. It's better IMO to run outdoors.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Lifer

Another plus is I sleep very well at night now. It's helped with my breathing tremendously. I love it.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement