lactose intolerant - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

lactose intolerant

I've been mixing my shakes with water for the past 6 months but the last 6 weeks I changed to 2% milk and OMG does it make be BLOW ASS! So after 30 years I find out I'm midly lactose intolerant..

My diet this last year had very little dairy in it untill now and it blows me up. It's not painful at all and it doesn't bother me if I eat alot of other food with it. BUT if I do a liquid shake diet for a few days IT's horrible.

Any experience with this anyone? Anything you know of I can take other then cutting cheese and milk back out of my diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
mannish boy

Lactaid
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
DFWS

i was raised on 2% milk! no problems here. everything else like 1% taste bad to me

Keepin' The Old School Alive

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
WTF is Zed?

Try Silk soymilk. I use the regular unsweetened, they offer organic too. But even the non-organic versions are made from non genetically modified soybeans (90% of soybeans are genetically modified in the US). It tastes great, and lactose free. Makes awesome shakes.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
I hate ghetto niggers

If I think milk is whole milk. I rarely drink it anyways, and as long as I don't do anything crazy for the next 30 min from eating it ill be fine. Drinking milk or any diary substance then working out or something will end badly.

Last edited by aCid; 03-31-2010 at 09:36 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
not exclude

I'd just stay away from milk anyway, dairy products produce a disproportionately large insulin response compared to how many carbs they have.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I'd just stay away from milk anyway, dairy products produce a disproportionately large insulin response compared to how many carbs they have.
Milk (with no extra sweeteners) actually has a very low GI rating, which means it yields a very small, slow and limited insulin response, making it a great carb choice for a lot of applications. I usually drink at least 12oz of milk right before bed since it is rich is casein protein and keeps my tummy happy all night.

FunFordCobra, you have trouble with milk now because your body has stopped producing lactase, which is responsible for digesting dairy foods. Like others have said, take a dairy supplement like lactaid which basically is artificial lactase or try silk, my other lactose intolerant friends love it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
Try Silk soymilk. I use the regular unsweetened, they offer organic too. But even the non-organic versions are made from non genetically modified soybeans (90% of soybeans are genetically modified in the US). It tastes great, and lactose free. Makes awesome shakes.
+1 on this. You can get chocolate, vanilla or plain. I like the vanilla with my cereal.

Buying dogs kills.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Milk (with no extra sweeteners) actually has a very low GI rating, which means it yields a very small, slow and limited insulin response, making it a great carb choice for a lot of applications. I usually drink at least 12oz of milk right before bed since it is rich is casein protein and keeps my tummy happy all night.

FunFordCobra, you have trouble with milk now because your body has stopped producing lactase, which is responsible for digesting dairy foods. Like others have said, take a dairy supplement like lactaid which basically is artificial lactase or try silk, my other lactose intolerant friends love it.
Not true, while milk does have low glycemic indices, it has been shown to trigger an insulin response similar to white bread. Need to look at the insulin response directly or the insulin index. Milk, even though it only has a 30 glycemic index, has a paradoxically high insulin index of 90.

To add to that, GI can only measure the rate at which glucose appears in the blood stream, but it really cannot make a definitive correlation to the rate of disappearance (read: insulin response, cell uptake). I think you need to take a look at both the GI and II if you are going to accurately understand the nature of a food. GI is generally good guidance, but there seem to be a few foods out there that break the GI rule.

Last edited by exlude; 04-01-2010 at 06:59 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Not true, while milk does have low glycemic indices, it has been shown to trigger an insulin response similar to white bread. Need to look at the insulin response directly or the insulin index. Milk, even though it only has a 30 glycemic index, has a paradoxically high insulin index of 90.
Interpretation of the insulin index is still speculative at best. Here's a quote from one of the authors of the most famous and widely used insulin index studies:

"There are some instances, however, where a food has a low glycemic value but a high insulin index value. This applies to dairy foods and to some highly palatable energy-dense "indulgence foods." Some foods (such as meat, fish, and eggs) that contain no carbohydrate, just protein and fat (and essentially have a GI value of zero), still stimulate significant rises in blood insulin.

At the present time, we don't know how to interpret this type of response (low glycemia, high insulinemia) for long-term health. It may be a good outcome because the rise in insulin has contributed to the low level of glycemia. On the other hand, it may be not-so-good, because the increased demand for insulin contributes to beta-cell "exhaustion" and the development of type 2 diabetes. Until studies are carried out to answer these types of questions, the glycemic index remains a proven tool for predicting the effects of food on health."

So considering dairy's very low carbohydrate content, and insulin's purpose as a nutrient shuttle into cells, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with using milk in this setup. Also, can you provide a link to where you found that milk has an insulin index of 90? Most every study I've found shows dairy with insulin indices around 50.

Also, considering your stance on using milk based on its disproportionate amount of carbs, I'm curious if you eat meat or eggs, as these foods have zero carb content yet they yield a disproportionately high insulin response from the body based upon the insulin index.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
not exclude

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/1/96

Quote:
Despite low glycemic indexes of 15–30, all of the milk products produced high insulinemic indexes of 90–98, which were not significantly different from the insulinemic index of the reference bread.
Meats, while they do have a higher II than GI, it's only to the tune of 45-60 and have many more health benefits than milk does. Eggs don't have that discrepancy. Obviously, some of this is going to be in response to gluconeogensis.

On a similar vein, GI is a fairly poor measure due to it's lack of compensation for carbohydrate content in a typical serving, thus why glycemic load was created in the late 90s.

I'd say the OP would be fine getting away with milk if he's looking to bulk and gain raw strength. But it's a poor food to anyone trying to tone or lose weight.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Bitter Italian

Most animals, humans included will grow to become lactose intolerant with age. IMO if you buy the right shake mix water will work just fine.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

I bought lactaid to help me last night. It got BAD.

I'm gona buy some soymilk today before I hit the gym and see how that works too.

I've always had Irritable Bowel Syndrome but it went away when I lost all the weight and was replaced by this.. >.<
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
tex
Lifer

Soymilk sucks, almond or coconut milk is the way to go.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Soymilk sucks, almond or coconut milk is the way to go.
After having lived on skim milk for most of my life, I can't drinmk any of it plain, it tastes weird. My brain can't get past the whole "it's not milk" thing. Silk makes great potein shakes though.

Something else to consider FFC, is Candida. It's a VERY common yeast infection that is easy to contract, and infests the GI tract and can invade organs if left to proliferate. Sounds like it very well may be a simple case of lactose intolerance, but be wary of any other symptoms that may point to something more involved.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/1/96

Meats, while they do have a higher II than GI, it's only to the tune of 45-60 and have many more health benefits than milk does. Eggs don't have that discrepancy. Obviously, some of this is going to be in response to gluconeogensis.

On a similar vein, GI is a fairly poor measure due to it's lack of compensation for carbohydrate content in a typical serving, thus why glycemic load was created in the late 90s.

I'd say the OP would be fine getting away with milk if he's looking to bulk and gain raw strength. But it's a poor food to anyone trying to tone or lose weight.
Very interesting, I definitely learned something new today as I'd honestly never before heard of the insulin index or glycemic load, so learning that milk had such a high insulin response was surprising. I don't think this evidence is enough to write off milk as a good nutritional source though, especially since the OP was adding it to his post workout shake which usually warrants a higher insulin level anyways. According to what I've read about the insulin index, it would take about 12oz of 2% milk to elicit the amount of insulin production quoted from that study, which yields about 26g carb and 6g saturated fat which in most cases is hardly enough to raise concern over. Thanks for posting that information though, definitely very useful.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
I am a Motherfucker

I checked the symptoms of Candida and I don't think I have that lol but I'm no doctor nor can I afford one!

I drank a few glasses of 2% today and was fine but I also had other food running through me. I think I just over did it the other day with no food but milky shakes but I am switching to that coconut milk it it great just expensive!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Very interesting, I definitely learned something new today as I'd honestly never before heard of the insulin index or glycemic load, so learning that milk had such a high insulin response was surprising. I don't think this evidence is enough to write off milk as a good nutritional source though, especially since the OP was adding it to his post workout shake which usually warrants a higher insulin level anyways. According to what I've read about the insulin index, it would take about 12oz of 2% milk to elicit the amount of insulin production quoted from that study, which yields about 26g carb and 6g saturated fat which in most cases is hardly enough to raise concern over. Thanks for posting that information though, definitely very useful.
Very true. Post workout shakes can definitely warrant more glucose/insulin. I never really read up on GL/GI/II until I started reading up on the Paleo diet. Now, instead of milk I'll use a sugary juice (only to mix with post workout shakes) because the body really does need the extra glucose after intense training...otherwise muscles degrade.

I personally don't drink milk, but it can be used wisely. It's just a matter of not taking the nutritional information at face value, there's a little more going on behind the scenes. Another reason I don't drink it is the possibility of it causing inflammation in joints...which I have had problems with in the past.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I am switching to that coconut milk it it great just expensive!
Yeah, it can be, depending on how much you consume. We use mostly almond milk. Every time we buy the SilkAlmond at Kroger we get automated coupons, so it ends up being about a dollar a half gallon. Not too shabby.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I am switching to that coconut milk it it great just expensive!
Isn't it loaded in saturated fat? Or am I missing something? http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ut-milk-i12117
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Lifer

I use rice milk. I get it at wallmart.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Roy L. Dennis

Anybody use or read anything about Probiotics (good bacteria)? From what I've read so far, it may help with lactose intolerance and boosting immune system. My son has been getting sick a lot, and someone mentioned to us about giving him probiotics. I'm going to ask my son's Doc about it today, but you may do a little reading about it. I just started research on it about 10 mins ago. And by research, I mean, averaging all the opinions on the internets.

SELECT * FROM users
WHERE clue > 0

0 rows returned
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgar22 View Post
Anybody use or read anything about Probiotics (good bacteria)? From what I've read so far, it may help with lactose intolerance and boosting immune system. My son has been getting sick a lot, and someone mentioned to us about giving him probiotics. I'm going to ask my son's Doc about it today, but you may do a little reading about it. I just started research on it about 10 mins ago. And by research, I mean, averaging all the opinions on the internets.
Try a doctor of oriental medicine... acupuncture.

He'll get a pulse read and find imbalances pronto, that relate directly to the immune situation. Won't cost much. You don't likee, you don't have to got backee.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Roy L. Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON View Post
Try a doctor of oriental medicine... acupuncture.

He'll get a pulse read and find imbalances pronto, that relate directly to the immune situation. Won't cost much. You don't likee, you don't have to got backee.
My son is 1, so I don't think acupuncture is an option.

SELECT * FROM users
WHERE clue > 0

0 rows returned
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgar22 View Post
My son is 1, so I don't think acupuncture is an option.
DOMs generally don't promote the consumption of cow's milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement