Getting High - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Adrenaline is my ABS.

Getting High

So, lately I have been pushing myself during my workouts a lot harder then normal and after I'm done I get some kind of high off of it.

Whats up?

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Osh10 View Post
So, lately I have been pushing myself during my workouts a lot harder then normal and after I'm done I get some kind of high off of it.

Whats up?
endorphin release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
endorphin release.
...and a natural testosterone boost.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Time Served

What they said.

Wikipedia's summary...

"Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being. Endorphins work as 'natural pain relievers.'"

I learned recently in my paramedic class that endorphins have the exact same effect (albeit in much lower concentrations) as most opiates, only they are physically non-addictive. Our body does some pretty crazy stuff...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Adrenaline is my ABS.

Alright, that's sweet but I keep this high for quite a while and its happening after every workout now. People say I look high........

Does everyone else get this.

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I am a Motherfucker

When I run over 5 miles I get it for about 15 min after. I can lift weights all day and don't get it though..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
When I run over 5 miles I get it for about 15 min after. I can lift weights all day and don't get it though..
Endorphins are more commonly released during and after extended cardio type exercise such as running, cycling, and distance swmming. I am guessing that this guy is a bit green in the gym, and young, so most of the "high" that he's feeling is the test surge.

I never get an endorphin rush after lifting, though I uually feel pretty god for a couple hours after due to the test and raised blood flow to the brain.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Some studies have shown that lifting weights has minimal effect on endorphin production. The intensity is there, but it generally takes longer duration workouts. Longer than studied at least. I've never felt it from lifting (or maybe I did in the past, but now I've found a bigger crack rock so lifting just isnt the same?) but I know plenty of people who say they do.

Either way though, I'm addicted.
Cycling does it for me. Give me my bike and I'm happy as can be. Screw up my schedule where I can't ride for a few days and I'll start to feel antsy and on edge sometimes.

I did two hard 35 mile rides Sunday and Monday. Both with some stupid wind and 20+ mph pace the whole way. It's so hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it, but when you're done with the workout and that rush sticks around for hours or days, even something as simple as a deep breath can be the most relaxing, euphoric thing ever.

Endorphins activate the same receptors in the brain as opiates. I can totally understand how people get hooked on painkillers.

Quote:
Endorphins: Weight trainers miss out on the "runner's high"
When you cycle, swim, run, or carry out any other form of strenuous endurance exercise, your pituitary gland releases substantial quantities of 'endorphins', chemicals which can block sensations of pain and produce overall feelings of euphoria. Endorphins are known to attach to 'receptors' on the outer surfaces of brain cells, acting like chemical keys which fit into locks. If enough endorphin is inserted into the outer 'keyhole' of a nerve cell, that cell is unlikely to convey pain messages to the conscious part of the brain.

Endorphins were discovered almost by accident in the 1970s when scientists were carrying out research on drug addiction. Investigators had wondered for years why the human brain contained receptors for chemicals produced by the poppy plant, and they eventually discovered why: the brain produces its own set of neurochemicals which are actually far more potent than morphine, opium, and heroin but share the same neural receptors with these drugs.

The naturally produced brain chemicals, called the endorphins and enkephalins, are released in times of stress. They can make a mangled accident victim as serene as a Buddhist monk, and they can also make an athlete feel great after an extremely vigorous workout. The latter effect is sometimes referred to as the 'runner's high', and the post-exercise surge in endorphins helps to explain why many exercisers seem to become addicted to their sport. Their workouts become 'fixes' which mask the pain of everyday living, and even injuries or illnesses can't stop the training process because the athlete is relentlessly searching for endorphin-induced mood elevations.

It's been clear for quite a while that strenuous running, cycling, and swimming can stimulate the release of extra endorphin, but the effects of other activities have been uncertain. Recently, researchers from the Department of Health and Sports Science at the University of Richmond in the United States tried to determine whether weightlifting can also heighten endorphin levels.

In the Richmond research, six resistance-trained athletes completed three sets of eight repetitions of isotonic strength training. All exercises were performed at 80% of maximal effort, and blood levels of endorphins were checked before and after the weightlifting.

The results indicated that blood-endorphin levels were not different after weightlifting than before, although there was considerable variability between athletes. The investigation supports previous research which found no significant increases in endorphins following resistance exercise, but a word of caution is in order. Compared to an hour of intense cycling, 24 repetitions of resistance exercise represents fairly meagre exertion, and the response might have been far different if the weight trainers had lifted vigorously for a longer period of time or had carried out rigorous circuit training. However, since the Richmond team found no link between resistance training and boosts in endorphins, we'll have to keep referring to post-workout pleasure as the runner's high, not the strength-trainer's delight.

'Plasma Beta-Endorphin Immunoreactivity-Response to Resistance Exercise.' Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 11(6), pp. 499-502, December 1993q
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0430.htm

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Some studies have shown that lifting weights has minimal effect on endorphin production. The intensity is there, but it generally takes longer duration workouts. Longer than studied at least. I've never felt it from lifting (or maybe I did in the past, but now I've found a bigger crack rock so lifting just isnt the same?) but I know plenty of people who say they do.

Either way though, I'm addicted.
Cycling does it for me. Give me my bike and I'm happy as can be. Screw up my schedule where I can't ride for a few days and I'll start to feel antsy and on edge sometimes.

I did two hard 35 mile rides Sunday and Monday. Both with some stupid wind and 20+ mph pace the whole way. It's so hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it, but when you're done with the workout and that rush sticks around for hours or days, even something as simple as a deep breath can be the most relaxing, euphoric thing ever.

Endorphins activate the same receptors in the brain as opiates. I can totally understand how people get hooked on painkillers.

I'm up top 45-50 minutes on my daily jog, but it sucks the whole way. I guess I'd have to pick up the intensity to get to the endorphin phase, but I'm looking just to burn fat, not get into that cardio zone.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Adrenaline is my ABS.

I am very new to the gym and usually do a mile run before I lift, Its just a crazy feeling.... exact same high as script painkillers.

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Time Served

Haha, I like how the study compares 3 sets of 8 with weights to an hour of intense cardio. What did they think the results were gonna be?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
I hate ghetto niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Osh10 View Post
I am very new to the gym and usually do a mile run before I lift, Its just a crazy feeling.... exact same high as script painkillers.
You run a MILE before you lift? Fuck that shit!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCid View Post
I've been running 5 miles after 2 hours of weights here lately.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
I hate ghetto niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
I've been running 5 miles after 2 hours of weights here lately.
After yeah, he said before lifting.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Adrenaline is my ABS.

Running helps modivate me and get me pumped

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Seriously? An easy 10 minute warmup jog is too much for you?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
WTF is Zed?

I find that not only do I get a short rush after working out, I also maintain an elevated sense of well being as long as I go to the gym regularly. It is like an anti-depressent without popping a pill.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
It is like an anti-depressent without popping a pill.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
CEO of......

Did 2miles after my workout last night. First time i have ran in about 10months. Didn't think i'd make it past the first 1/2 mile but then found my groove and the next 1 1/2 miles was smooth sailing
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Ya I find that sometimes I can't make it to mile 2 but when I do the last 3 are a breeze.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I do the same pretty much, on cardio days I run about 5 miles or so with a core workout after, and on lift days I run between 1.5 and 3 miles before I lift. The 1.5 is typical on leg days. The rest of the days is at least 2 miles at the beginning. But I enjoy running. Now of I could just enjoy swimming as much I would be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement