Endurance training vs strength training? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Endurance training vs strength training?

This probably seems like a dumb question but how would a workout gear towards endurance training differ from a workout geared towards strength training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Hired Hand

The simple answer is that endurance training requires high reps and little to no rest, whereas strength training requires lower reps and plenty of rest.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Ok, makes sense. I'll eventually need to transition to an endurance training program after I finish cutting my weight and spending some time building some strength. I'll be at a fire academy in the next 6-8 months and I'll need the endurance more than anything.

EDIT: Just trying to do a little planning ahead.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
tex
Lifer

Are you talking about muscle endurance, or cardiovascular endurance? You shouldn't have to change anything drastic with your lifting, but you should probably up your running if you're concerned. Remember you have a great resource on this board when it comes to prepping for fire academy fitness requirements in Grayhorse.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Are you talking about muscle endurance, or cardiovascular endurance? You shouldn't have to change anything drastic with your lifting, but you should probably up your running if you're concerned. Remember you have a great resource on this board when it comes to prepping for fire academy fitness requirements in Grayhorse.
Both muscle and cardio. My cardio endurance will come with time as I'm currently in week 4 of the couch to 5k running program. The muscle endurance is more of what I'm talking about. I've got a list of events that most of the local departments use for the physical testing. Most of the guys that fail the physical test because they just don't have the endurance to make it through all of them. It'll probably be a good year and a half before I ever have to test for a department but I'd rather get started on building my endurance now rather than a couple months before a test.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Lifer

This is exactly what I need. Does anyone have a good workout for muscle endurance? I can run all day long so cardio really isn't a weak point for me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel642000 View Post
This is exactly what I need. Does anyone have a good workout for muscle endurance? I can run all day long so cardio really isn't a weak point for me.
Maybe it's the beer talking or maybe I'm just oversimplifying, but it seems there's an obvious answer...

Just do more.

You don't train for a marathon by only running 5ks.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
"Muscle endurance" is a broad term, what exactly are you wanting to achieve? Are you training for a specific event like Greg, are you talking endurance in the gym, wanting to play basketball longer?

FWIW being able to run "all day long" is a decent measure of cardiovascular health, but doesn't necessarily increase your cardiovascular endurance. I'd assume that you are just saying that, and mean that you can jog for an hour or so without collapsing. If you can indeed run a marathon, then you already have great cardiovascular endurance and muscular endurance (legs), so keep on doing what your doing.

My point is that increasing endurance means increasing stamina beyond the point where your heart and/or muscles are under duress. An afternoon jog in the park does not qualify for "great cardiovascular endurance."

en·dur·ance (ěn-dŏŏr'əns, -dyŏŏr'-)
n.
The act, quality, or power of withstanding hardship or stress: A marathon tests a runner's endurance.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Time Served

I've done physical tests before for fire academy/department testing and to be honest the hardest part is not having your cardio up to par. The skills you do require a good level of physical strength so you're gonna want to train heavy to be prepared for it. If you go train yourself to lift a moderate amount of weight a ton of times for endurance purposes, and then go try to hoist the fly sections of a 35 foot extension ladder, or bend down and lift/drag a 200lb dummy, you're gonna regret not training heavy. Being at the nozzle of a 2.5" charged hose line takes a lot of friggin strength. I'm not saying muscular endurance isn't important, but you're gonna value your raw strength when it comes time to man up and do a lot of the stuff you're gonna be undertaking.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:58 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
The simple answer is that endurance training requires high reps and little to no rest, whereas strength training requires lower reps and plenty of rest.
Agreed.

In my experience in the training I do which is big test of endurance, big overly muscled guys tend to lack endurance because the heart has to work so hard to supply so much blood to those big muscles. Being so big they tend to gas early and also aren't as flexible and very easy to submit. I think it's important that when you are doing strength training, you train specifically for whatever it is you are doing and the movements you most likely will be doing most often.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

Well simply put whenever I get back from my deployment I intend to try out for buds. I figure I might as well start trAining now and while I'm gone. I have a few workouts but they just tell me what group to workout that day. Main thing I need is different excerises to do. Instead of reading a page that says legs core an run three miles.

I was just wondering if someone had a list of things like squats crunches dead lifts etc... Like I said I just run out of ideas and just need a few more ideas to change it up a little bit.

Sorry for rambling on...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Well simply put whenever I get back from my deployment I intend to try out for buds. I figure I might as well start trAining now and while I'm gone. I have a few workouts but they just tell me what group to workout that day. Main thing I need is different excerises to do. Instead of reading a page that says legs core an run three miles.

I was just wondering if someone had a list of things like squats crunches dead lifts etc... Like I said I just run out of ideas and just need a few more ideas to change it up a little bit.

Sorry for rambling on...
Post the workout you're thinking about and I can give you some ideas.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Post the workout you're thinking about and I can give you some ideas.
I can't find a copy of it unfortunatly and have been doing a couple others that are pretty challenging.

The jist of the one I was talking about earlier is:

M I run long distance at 830 min/mile pace(3 miles increasing over time to 9) included with this is core, and back workouts

T swim constantly for a certian amount of time, legs push ups pull ups and sit ups

W running diff amount of sprints of varying distances, shoulder, core, and chest.

Th swim timed laps, push pull and sit ups, and legs again.

Fr run constantly for certain amounts of time, core, arms and something else I can't remember

Sat. swim a certain distance (500-1000 meters) push pull and sit ups.

Sunday rest.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Agreed.

In my experience in the training I do which is big test of endurance, big overly muscled guys tend to lack endurance because the heart has to work so hard to supply so much blood to those big muscles. Being so big they tend to gas early and also aren't as flexible and very easy to submit. I think it's important that when you are doing strength training, you train specifically for whatever it is you are doing and the movements you most likely will be doing most often.
Well, In your case, I don't think it's that cut and dried. I'd attribute that as much (if not more) to inexperience and ineffective use of muscles as a lack of endurance. Most strong guys I've seen that start grappling think they can muscle through everything, so they'll try to bench press you out of side control 20 times before giving up, instead of working towards a leverage-based sweep/escape, etc. The only people I really don't see that to some extent in are girls (it seems most prevalent in meatheads though... and it's usually directly proportional to the amount of ink they have. )

I'm not in any way saying that meatheads have the same endurance as distance runners, I'm just saying that in the case of grapplers, the problem is further compounded by the fact that "you're doing it wrong, son!" not just that they have big muscles that they need fuel. Once they learn to "flow with the go" (as Rickson would say) their endurance magically triples.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I'm not in any way saying that meatheads have the same endurance as distance runners, I'm just saying that in the case of grapplers, the problem is further compounded by the fact that "you're doing it wrong, son!" not just that they have big muscles that they need fuel. Once they learn to "flow with the go" (as Rickson would say) their endurance magically triples.
I've seen the same thing with people learning to wake board. The guys generally think that if they can hold on long enough, they'll muscle their way out of the water. They ingore coaching on proper technique, and end up plowing their way to sore forearms and a frustrated waterlogged afternoon on the lake. The "wimpy" girls on the other hand usually listen to the advice, and pop right out of the water, with little to no strain on their arms.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I've seen the same thing with people learning to wake board. The guys generally think that if they can hold on long enough, they'll muscle their way out of the water. They ingore coaching on proper technique, and end up plowing their way to sore forearms and a frustrated waterlogged afternoon on the lake. The "wimpy" girls on the other hand usually listen to the advice, and pop right out of the water, with little to no strain on their arms.
<-- Guilty!!! It's the exact same thing the first time I tried wakeboarding!

It took me probably two months (even with instructors pointing it out) for me to start to settle down on the mat and learn that if I'm trying to force something, I'm doing it incorrectly (for the most part.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement