Weight training for special needs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Weight training for special needs

I have a friend that has MD and he has been advised by his Doctors to not workout for years. He started lifting some small weights about a month ago and he can now lift his arms above his head. He is really excited to see any kind of progress and I told him I would help in any way possible to get some results.

Any recommendations on equipment, regiment or maybe even a light supplement to help him along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jay Turtle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Someone like that I sure would need a Special Needs Trainer. I'm sure if you trained him like a non mentally disabled person it could possible do more dammage then good. Also depends what is wrong with him. MD person is pretty vague and alot of mental ilness comes along with horrible muscle spazms and such.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

My ex-gf is an Occupational Therapist and works with these sort of children on a daily basis.
Medicare/Medicaid will pay for it, but probably not if it's against a doctor's advice.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFordCobra View Post
Someone like that I sure would need a Special Needs Trainer. I'm sure if you trained him like a non mentally disabled person it could possible do more dammage then good. Also depends what is wrong with him. MD person is pretty vague and alot of mental ilness comes along with horrible muscle spazms and such.
I think by MD he means muscular dystrophy, not mentally disabled.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
My ex-gf is an Occupational Therapist and works with these sort of children on a daily basis.
Medicare/Medicaid will pay for it, but probably not if it's against a doctor's advice.
find another doctor that gives different advice
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yes it is Muscular Dystrophy. He is very determined to get some results. I will check his diet first and maybe just get him on Muscle Milk and see how that works with his meds.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Doing things the lazy way

try using some of those elastic bands(i forgot the name of them) first before going to weights, they have diffrent tension rates on them so if he gets tired of one he can move up, might be safer than weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
try using some of those elastic bands(i forgot the name of them) first before going to weights, they have diffrent tension rates on them so if he gets tired of one he can move up, might be safer than weights
I've always known them to be called resistance bands.

I agree with Forrest here, doctor's opinions vary greatly, depending on their background. When I broke my wrist many years ago I was told to stay out of the gym for 6 months to a year, no lifting at all. I of course was back at it as soon as I could deal with the pain, and had no issues with recovery.

On the other end of the spectrum, when I broke my tib/fib last year the doc had me in PT as quickly as possible, and told me to push it within reason, but to sytay off the leg in terms of weight lifting.

Granted, these are specifically injuries and not a disease, but a great example that some docs know their specific craft in terms of surgery and healing a sedinteary person, but they may not understand the drive and needs of a physically active person, nor have they researched the effects of various types of activity/exercise on a persons recovery and over all physical condition. It would be best to find a doctor that works out himself, or perhaps one that does or used to specialize in sports medicine.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement