Is it possible to weight train and still run? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
I hate ghetto niggers

Is it possible to weight train and still run?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm applying to the FWFD and benchmarks are saying I have to run at least a 9 min mile or less. Now I hate running, but gotta do what you gotta do. Will this competely fuck my weight training up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Hired Hand

I'm 200lbs+, weight train heavy 4 days a week, and jog 4-6 times a week. Training and cardio are not mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure Emmit Smith and the like are familiar with a sub 9 minute mile AND a 400lb bench press. If you're looking to continue to bulk you'll simply have to adjust your calories to compensate for what you burn while running.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
tex
Lifer

I'm 200+lbs, and I'm training for a 1500 powerlifting total, and a sub 3:00 marathon. A 9 minute mile isn't fast, by any stretch of the imagination. I'd bet that Ronnie Coleman could run a sub 9 minute mile without pushing it, so I'd imagine you'll be ok.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Rookie

You only have to run 1 mile in 9mins? Come on, that's very easy and a couple miles cardio wont hurt your heavy lifting.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I'm 200lbs+, weight train heavy 4 days a week, and jog 4-6 times a week. Training and cardio are not mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure Emmit Smith and the like are familiar with a sub 9 minute mile AND a 400lb bench press. If you're looking to continue to bulk you'll simply have to adjust your calories to compensate for what you burn while running.

and while doing this, would i still be able to burn the fat off around my gut? Because i'm fixing to start running in April. Starting out only doing about 30min on the treadmil
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
and while doing this, would i still be able to burn the fat off around my gut? Because i'm fixing to start running in April. Starting out only doing about 30min on the treadmil
If you're bulking then it'll take a lot longer to burn the fat around your gut purely because of your calorie intake. If you can burn 500 calories each day with cardio then you can lose 1lb of fat per week given the rest of your diet is in check. If you haven't cleaned up that diet then I'd start there.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Starting out only doing about 30min on the treadmil
If you're getting back into running you should look into the couch to 5K running program. I started it about 4 weeks ago and I'm loving it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
If you're bulking then it'll take a lot longer to burn the fat around your gut purely because of your calorie intake. If you can burn 500 calories each day with cardio then you can lose 1lb of fat per week given the rest of your diet is in check. If you haven't cleaned up that diet then I'd start there.

Well, i'm not even sure that i'm eating enough right now to be "bulking up" like i want to. So maybe i'll just eat the same and add the cardio lol
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
If you are effectively bulking, you won't burn any fat at all. Adding lean muslce tissue requires a surplus of calories, whereas burning fat requires a deficit of calories. You cannot do both at the same time efficiently.

There are some cases where untrained individuals are able to get stronger while leaning out, but that is simply a case of their "green" muscles and their untrained neurological system learning how to recruit those muscle fibers to push weight, they aren't necesarily adding actual lean tissue, or very little if so.

Your time in the gym is much better used by focusing on one goal or the other, as you'll make much more progress in either direction by doing so. Another key is to not go too extreme in either direction, as that can be counter-productive as well. By that I mean don't use being in a bulking cycle to eat a bunch of trash "because your body needs calories." By doing that you'll end up with a bunch of extra bodyfat at the end of your bulk that will have to come off before really being able to enjoy your gains, being that most guys want a lean muscular appearance. Same is true with cutting weight. If you go too extreme and crash diet, you'll end up burning hard-earned muscle tissue, and end up weaker and smaller for being in a hurry.

Patience truly is a virtue when it comes to changing ones physique.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
If you are effectively bulking, you won't burn any fat at all. Adding lean muslce tissue requires a surplus of calories, whereas burning fat requires a deficit of calories. You cannot do both at the same time efficiently.

There are some cases where untrained individuals are able to get stronger while leaning out, but that is simply a case of their "green" muscles and their untrained neurological system learning how to recruit those muscle fibers to push weight, they aren't necesarily adding actual lean tissue, or very little if so.

Your time in the gym is much better used by focusing on one goal or the other, as you'll make much more progress in either direction by doing so. Another key is to not go too extreme in either direction, as that can be counter-productive as well. By that I mean don't use being in a bulking cycle to eat a bunch of trash "because your body needs calories." By doing that you'll end up with a bunch of extra bodyfat at the end of your bulk that will have to come off before really being able to enjoy your gains, being that most guys want a lean muscular appearance. Same is true with cutting weight. If you go too extreme and crash diet, you'll end up burning hard-earned muscle tissue, and end up weaker and smaller for being in a hurry.

Patience truly is a virtue when it comes to changing ones physique.

yeah, i think i've read enough that i knew this already. Guess i'll keep lifting heavy when i start cardio again and go strict on my diet. Because i'm determined to get my abs to show this summer. Then when that's done i guess i could go back to trying to bulk up. I have this odd feeling that i'm not going to get very big with my body type LOL
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
yeah, i think i've read enough that i knew this already. Guess i'll keep lifting heavy when i start cardio again and go strict on my diet. Because i'm determined to get my abs to show this summer. Then when that's done i guess i could go back to trying to bulk up. I have this odd feeling that i'm not going to get very big with my body type LOL
"Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym."

Genetics are a big factor in determining where you'll end up, but I've seen plenty of "big" ectomorphs (skinny dudes) over the years. It just may talke a little more determination than others to get there, just like I have to bust my ass to get lean.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
"Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym."

Genetics are a big factor in determining where you'll end up, but I've seen plenty of "big" ectomorphs (skinny dudes) over the years. It just may talke a little more determination than others to get there, just like I have to bust my ass to get lean.

and i'll even scale that back a bit. IF i can just get that V going i'll be happy. If the abs show they show, if they don't they don't.

And if my genectics are anything like my cousins, then i should be able to get to where i want. But probably in years, not months lol
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Just run everyday after weights. True you won't get huge lean mass gains, but you will get SOME. It is possible to burn fat and build lean muscle just prepare to spend 3+ hours in the 6 days a week.
If you can't devote this much time, just do what Raven says and just work one one at a time. Takes way less focus and time.
When I go to the gym it's all business. I do 90-120 min of straight heavy weights with very little resting and then 4-5 miles on the treadmill. (bout 40 min) I was able to lose around 160 lbs and gain alot of muscle. True I could have got ALOT more muscle if I went with a straight lean muscle gain diet, but I was able to find a great balance between the two that made me very happy.
With that in mind, everyone's body reacts different. What works for me doesn't mean it will work for you.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

You don't run and you think you're going to start out with 30 minutes on the treadmill?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Scared s**tless

Cardio only inhibits muscle building at the point your body chooses to conserve calories because you are running a deficit. In that case, conservation begins by slowing of muscle growth... in a nutshell eat your way slightly into a surplus and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
You don't run and you think you're going to start out with 30 minutes on the treadmill?

With ease
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Lifer

I was a miler.

If you want strength and endurance, run "ins and outs". On the track, sprint the straights, fast jog (as capable) the turns. You will be surprised at your mile time.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Lifer

You can damn near walk a mile in 9 minutes.

When i was in the Army I would run 2 miles in just over 10 mins....granted I was in pretty decent shape but a 9 min mile is pretty easily doable by an average Joe who doesn't run at all.

--wes
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Resident Epicurean

Buddy of mine is going through all that as well for FTWFD.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
You can damn near walk a mile in 9 minutes.
That's funny.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Lifer

Miles are easy especially a 9 minute mile. I eun a mile and a half in just over 8 minutes. Just run two miles, three times a week. That way when the time comes to run jut one it will be cake.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Wolverines!!!

As already stated a 9 min mile is cake if ur in decent shape with a good diet . The biggest thing to remember if u start a new running routine is to focus on form and start off fairly light so ur legs get used to the punishment. Mileage and speed will follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement