Shoulder exercises? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Shoulder exercises?

The gym at the office I work in doesn't have much in the category of shoulder machines, there's a shoulder press and a lat machine and that's about it. What other exercises would you recommend for shoulders using free weights?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Is it cold in here?

Incline press using dumbells if u have them.

[email protected] on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I've got the dumbells but I lack the adjustable bench

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
tex
Lifer

Front raises, cuban presses, seated DB press, military press, push press, rear delt raises....

If you've had any shoulder injury issues, stick with light front raises and rear delt raises/face pulls. Unless you're training for hypertrophy, your delts will get enough work from your chest presses and back rows.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
African Booty Scratcher

shoulder press, shrugs, front raises, and i dont know the name, but basically sitting backwards on the pec deck is supposed to hit the rear delts.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
but basically sitting backwards on the pec deck is supposed to hit the rear delts.

god bless.
Works the same as the rear delt raise. IMO machines and shoulders don't go together, as the restrictions on movement can cause pain or injuries.

But I also don't do any shoulder work besides push presses (or clean & jerk) and some light front raises and face pulls.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Hired Hand

Along with military press, lateral raises and front raises will get you the "tone" that you're looking for Greg. When doing front raises though make sure your palms are up and thumbs out (I call them "fuck you's"). If you do them palms down you won't be recruiting near enough of the front head of the delts, and may as well just keep doing more lateral raises.

Another good on for the front delts is reverse-grip bench, while keeping your elbows in. Try to keep your forearms perpendicular with the floor troughout the entire lift. and it will feel nothing like a bench press. The bar will come down closer to your bellybuttin of you're doing it right.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

plate (front) raises, lateral raises, overhead press, face pulls, seated dumbell cleans
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Not gonna lie, I found several of these posters for sale and I think I may just order a couple to reference.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
tex
Lifer

Read this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Time Served

I always liked Iron Crosses. This is done standing with your feet about 12 inches apart or wherever feels comfortable. No more than shoulder width apart. You can use heavier weights and deliberate movements for strength conditioning or lighter weights and more rapid movments for a quick upper body warm up.

Have a dumbell in each hand starting with your arms down at your sides. Lift the dumbells up to shoulder level out at your sides with your arms fully extended as if you were flapping your "wings" up.

Then rotate your arms foward keeping them at shoulder level till the dumbells are touching at arms length in front of your face. Then bring the dumbells down in front of you till they are touching the front of your thighs. Reverse that till you are standing with the dumbells back at your sides again. That is one rep.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
lateral raises and front raises will get you the "tone" that you're looking for Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
face pulls
Just finished my shoulder workout and talk about shoulder soreness from muscle I didn't quite knew I could work out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement