Question about toning... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Question about toning...

I know a majority of toning up and leaning out will come from my change in diet and the amount of cardio I do, but that doesn't mean I can't hit the gym and go low weight and high reps. I'm just not sure I'm doing a low enough weight at high enough reps. For instance when I'm curling, I'm doing 30lbs, 3 sets, at 15reps per set. Should I be doing 20-25 lbs at 20-30 reps per set?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Time Served

You'll be wasting your time doing that many reps and that low of a weight. Low weight/high rep for "toning" and fat loss is a myth. If it were true, you wouldn't see a bunch of overweight men and women doing low weight/high rep exercises all the time in the gym, they'd all be super fit and ripped. You should be shooting for failure with a moderate amount of reps. Most importantly, if your goal is to become leaner, your main focus should be on diet by reducing the amount of overall carbs that you eat.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
You'll be wasting your time doing that many reps and that low of a weight. Low weight/high rep for "toning" and fat loss is a myth. If it were true, you wouldn't see a bunch of overweight men and women doing low weight/high rep exercises all the time in the gym, they'd all be super fit and ripped. You should be shooting for failure with a moderate amount of reps. Most importantly, if your goal is to become leaner, your main focus should be on diet by reducing the amount of overall carbs that you eat.
Won't that promote muscle building leading to gaining weight?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Won't that promote muscle building leading to gaining weight?
Not if your diet isn't set up for it. Trust me, it's not like muscle just "appear" one day. It takes consistent effort and an excess in calories to make muslces grow, and even when all the necessary conditions are met, it takes years to put on and maintain a significant amount of muscle.

I'd suggest varying between sets of 8 and sets of 12, always going to failure. You can add stamina and strength without significantly increasing the muscle cells themselves, you are simply making the ones that you have work more efficiently.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

Last edited by Big A; 02-23-2010 at 03:27 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Time Served

Someone else on this board (don't remember who) said it well by saying if you are worried about the possibility of putting on lots of muscle, then you shouldn't be in any danger of doing it. Putting on any significant amount of muscle takes a long time of intense, dedicated exercise and lots and lots and lots of eating. Unless you're lifting lots of big weights on a daily basis and eating 3000-5000 calories a day for a long long time, you're not gonna put on any significant amount of muscle. A couple pounds over the course of the year, maybe, but nothing too noticeable.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Someone else on this board (don't remember who) said it well by saying if you are worried about the possibility of putting on lots of muscle, then you shouldn't be in any danger of doing it. Putting on any significant amount of muscle takes a long time of intense, dedicated exercise and lots and lots and lots of eating. Unless you're lifting lots of big weights on a daily basis and eating 3000-5000 calories a day for a long long time, you're not gonna put on any significant amount of muscle. A couple pounds over the course of the year, maybe, but nothing too noticeable.
I think I've said it a time or two.

Seriously, "I don't wanna get big" is the number one excuse I hear from guys not wanting to put effort into the gym. Not only will lower reps help build strength, it also increases your resting metabolic rate, and boosts your natural testosterone production. As a male there is absolutely no reason NOT to lift heavy.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post

Seriously, "I don't wanna get big" is the number one excuse I hear from guys not wanting to put effort into the gym. Not only will lower reps help build strength, it also increases your resting metabolic rate, and boosts your natural testosterone production. As a male there is absolutely no reason NOT to lift heavy.
Werd
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Thanks for the input fellas, i'll take your advice and put it to work immediately.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Depends on what you define heavy as...

http://fitnessblackbook.com/workout-...kout-routines/

-John
-2007 Mustang GT

Last edited by 96BluOvl; 02-23-2010 at 06:42 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96BluOvl View Post

That article is a crock of shit. I'd be interested to see pics of the author, I guarantee you that the soccer player shown knows what muscle soreness is, and that he has "damaged" his muscles (especially the legs) a time or two. Also, there is no lifting routine that will give you definition, that comes from removing the bodyfat between then, a.k.a your diet.

This article is catering to the do nothings that want an "easy" way to train. Even when working striclty for stamina you're gonna get sore, if you're not, your body isn't getting enough stimulus to change anything.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Time Served

Haha this is hilarious...

"The bad thing about going to failure is that it teaches your muscles to fail! Your body will react by not contracting that muscle quite as hard for the next set"

Who wants muscles that are failures?? I want muscles that are winners!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96BluOvl View Post

Holy fucking fail, Batman!

That dumbass recommends not eating for 2-3 hours after working out!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Question about going to failure...

When you guys talk about going to failure, are you doing each exercise at the same weight till you're too tired to do it or do you increase the weight each set?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
When you guys talk about going to failure, are you doing each exercise at the same weight till you're too tired to do it or do you increase the weight each set?
You have to have a lifting partner to do it with free weights, but you can fail on the machines like hammer strength. Training to failure means that you pick a weight that on your last rep you aren't able to get it completely up without help, thus "failing" to lift it. If you happen to pick a weight that's too light, keep going until you fail, and adjust the weight on the next lift.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You have to have a lifting partner to do it with free weights, but you can fail on the machines like hammer strength. Training to failure means that you pick a weight that on your last rep you aren't able to get it completely up without help, thus "failing" to lift it. If you happen to pick a weight that's too light, keep going until you fail, and adjust the weight on the next lift.
You don't HAVE to have a partner to train to failure with free weights, but it sure does help!
Example...DB or BB curls or even tricep kickbacks.

Just bustin your chops a little!

Last edited by Stangin4Lyfe; 02-24-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement