Body fat calculator results accurate? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Body fat calculator results accurate?

Last August I started running six days a week, and since that time my weight has dropped from 195 to 150. About three weeks ago I started P90X and I'd like to be able to track my body fat percentage, but I'm don't really believe the results I'm getting from online body fat calculators. I have a set of body fat calipers, and according to all the calculators that I find on the internet my body fat percentage is somewhere between 4.5% and 6.5%. I can't help but think that's a little low, but I don't have any other way to tell and the results are reasonably consistent across all the calculators I've used with the average being about 5.5%.

So, does that range seem reasonable for a 6'1" tall guy who weighs 150?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM
WTF is Zed?

Get one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-Port...alyzer/3342463

And if your bf% is that low, you should be able to see every muscle, vein and fiber in your body very clearly. Professional body builders compete at those levels.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
Get one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-Port...alyzer/3342463

And if your bf% is that low, you should be able to see every muscle, vein and fiber in your body very clearly. Professional body builders compete at those levels.
This, plus taking your own body fat is very hard to do and still be extremely accurate. I work with a few guys who are in the 4-5% range and are very shredded and very vascular. Try to get another person to take it for you and see if the measurements match up. No matter what the results, congrats on making such awesome progress, that's some true hard work and dedication right there!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
Results will vary depending on how hydrated you are.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Agreed. But if you use it under similar conditions, ie like immediately after waking up in the morning, it can be valuable in tracking your progress.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
It's the same with regular scale weight. You need to measure once a week, same day, same time. If your diet is pretty regulated it may not be100% "accurate," but it's still a good measure of progress.

If you are in the single digits and just want to know the specific percent for shits and giggles, place like the cooper institute have a dunk tank.

As for being 6'1" and 150, you need to EAT. lol I'm 5'10" and hate geting below 200.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I'm definitely not shredded or vascular except for my arms which is what led me
to ask my question in the first place. I know that I need to put on some weight, but P90X's diet isn't very conducive to that goal. I would eat quite a bit differently than I do, but my wife is doing P90X as well to lose weight and she has a hard time sticking to diets when I don't eat the same things as her.

Does anyone here have any experience with a program called beginning strength? It may
be called starting strength...can't really remember. If so, would that be a good way for me
to go after finishing P90X?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Damn dude... I'm 6'1 and 180lbs and I am feeling tiny. I can't imagine being 150lbs!

Last I checked I was around 11% BF at 185lbs.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Trust me, I'm trying to put good weight back on and it just isn't happening. As of this morning, I'm down to 147 pounds. I've never had this particular problem before, and I don't know enough about nutrition and working out to effectively solve it. I could always go back to junk, but that's not the best approach. Currently I eat three meals a day (lean protein, good carbs, veggies) with a few snacks in between. Been doing P90X for the last thirty days, so I'm doing resistance training three times a week, one day of intense cardio, one day of light cardio, and one day of yoga.

Last edited by own3d; 02-22-2010 at 05:26 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3d View Post
Trust me, I'm trying to put good weight back on and it just isn't happening. As of this morning, I'm down to 147 pounds. I've never had this particular problem before, and I don't know enough about nutrition and working out to effectively solve it. I could always go back to junk, but that's not the best approach. Currently I eat three meals a day (lean protein, good carbs, veggies) with a few snacks in between. Been doing P90X for the last thirty days, so I'm doing resistance training three times a week, one day of intense cardio, one day of light cardio, and one day of yoga.
Please throw away the notion that there are good carbs and there are bad carbs. All carbs cause an insulin response and all carbs convert to glycogen in the body. Sure you can look at carbs through a low glycemic index/high glycemic index viewpoint, but all carbs are going to end up in your bloodstream and then eventually either into your muscles/liver, or stored as fat in your fatty tissue. I think it sounds like the key that you're missing is nutrient timing. If you're trying to keep from adding any more fat, then eat more carbs earlier in the day and less later on in the day. Eating some carbohydrates after a workout can also be a good idea, though eating just protein/fat after a workout will also cause an insulin spike, albeit much lower than that of glucose in the body. If you're looking to gain quality muscle and minimal fat, try to eat cleaner sources of protein like chicken, turkey, or tuna, and eat on a 3 hour schedule with small meals. Snack on things with a good protein/fat ratio, like almonds, walnuts, or peanut butter. These will keep you from getting hungry between meals and will help you add calories to aid in muscle growth and wont really contribute to any fat storage (unless you go off the deep end).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement