Suggest a leg work out for me please..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Suggest a leg work out for me please.....

All right guys, it's time to get my legs back into my routine...... Before all the guys start bashing me I'll just go ahead and say I haven't worked legs in about 8 months. Broke my foot in 4 places and got Turf Toe, squat and presses were tough.

Let me also state that I have some BIRD LEGS. Like hard core, lol. I am 6'1" and am currently 181lbs. I range anywhere from 175lbs to 205lbs depending on what I am eating and if I am back on protein shakes and bulking up mode in the gym. I have been focusing on cardio for 2 months and have lost 12 lbs so far. Not focusing on bulking back up just yet, but that's right around the corner. Gotta get my fat lower abs back in check

So give me a basic workout please for my legs. I need to work my legs and get some strength back in them. I use to be able to dunk a basketball. While playing in the gym the other day I struggled to touch the rim, lol. I have a ways to go.

I would guess I can't handle more than 225 on squats right now as a max. I know, I know, pathetic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Lifer

We ain't gonna bash you dude, like Raven said...at least you are trying!

You know what you need to do...squats, lunges(barbell and dumbbell), hack squats, leg presses, step ups, leg extensions, leg flexions, calf raises, donkey raises, drop sets, super sets, pyramids,...etc.
Since you said that you hurt yourself, start off really light and get used to the weight and form and go from there.
There is no perfect workout, just mix it up often and find what suites you best.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post

You know what you need to do...squats, lunges(barbell and dumbbell), hack squats, leg presses, step ups, leg extensions, leg flexions, calf raises, donkey raises, drop sets, super sets, pyramids,...etc.
Since you said that you hurt yourself, start off really light and get used to the weight and form and go from there.
There is no perfect workout, just mix it up often and find what suites you best.

Thanks man. I'll start working the legs in next week. Start very light and see how my foot holds up. I need my legs back, they've always been skinny but I know I get some explosiveness back if I get them stronger.

I have been in "lose weight" mode the past 2 months. It's almost time to get back on the protein shakes and try to add some mass back on

Crazy that in the past year I have been as heavy as 210lbs from lifting so much and I am now 180....... Lost a lot of stomach fat recently though, so that's good I don't have the discipline for a diet like yours so I make do with what I got, a skinny frame, lol.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

The only thing I see missing is deadlifts and leg curls. The hamstrings are a pretty big part of the legs, though alot of people tend to neglect them.

Having been there (still am actually) in terms of recovery from an injury and the induced atrophy, I'd say that now is the perfect time to throw the ego completely aside, and concentrate on perfect form with light weights. Forget what you "used" to do, and concentrate on building a new routine. Though your foot may be healed, you don't need to rush into pushing hard and lifting heavy, just focus on slow and controlled reps, though do keep your weights heavy enough to hit failure on your last set of each excercise, if not most of them. Fortunately muscle memory will help you progress pretty quickly, and now is not the time to sacrifice form for weight. Besides, you don't want Stangin4Lyfe pointing and laughing at you...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Lifer

LOL, I mean't leg curls instead of leg flexion, good catch!
I hit my hamstrings HARD(3 drop sets, supersetted with barbell lunges) and actually love the feeling that they have for the next 3-4 days afterwards.
As for the deadlifts, that is one lift that I honestly don't work into my routine.
Lots of people live by them, but they aren't for me.
Like I said, find what works best for you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
LOL, I mean't leg curls instead of leg flexion, good catch!
I hit my hamstrings HARD(3 drop sets, supersetted with barbell lunges) and actually love the feeling that they have for the next 3-4 days afterwards.
As for the deadlifts, that is one lift that I honestly don't work into my routine.
Lots of people live by them, but they aren't for me.
Like I said, find what works best for you.

I love working out my back and when I really hit it hard last year it was GREAT to see my lats start sticking out! But Deadlifts KILLED me. My 2 lifting partners LOVED them, I always ended up hurting myself, lol. I hurt my back so bad once I couldn't even bend over to take socks on or off for 4 days, lol. And yes my form was correct according to my lifting partners. And I wasn't even lifting much.

I'll start hitting the legs and see how it goes. I'll squat 135 to start and see how the foot does and how teh legs react to some weight. I know my legs are bird like, but they need to get some strenght back to them. I wanna dunk on the ballers at 24 hour fitness again. Nothing like seeing a 6'1" white dude jamming on a brotha. Their friends never let them live it down, lol.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Worship me

Do sets of squats until you throw up. Then do two more sets.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Lifer

i have a torn acl in my left knee and a reconstructed acl in my right, so i baby my legs a bit. i just do squats 2 sets of 20 using pretty light weight compared to most one day a week. they still feel tight and sore the next day but it doesn't kill me to take a shit.

my wrestling coach used to say "are those your legs or are you riding a chicken" when i was in high school. i tried working out legs hard after that but i ended up with 3 hernias and tore both acls.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 PM
WTF is Zed?

Stiff legged deadlifts are my favorite leg exercise. They hammer the hammies.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Good mornings are my favorite posterior chain exercise. The key is not using too much weight otherwise it turns into a half squat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement