Hydroxycut, one week later - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Hydroxycut, one week later

Since there have been a few posts showing a bit of interest in ECA's (ephedrine, caffiene, and aspirin), I thought I'd share my play-by-play on this most current diet phase using Hydroxycut. Background on me: I'm 25 and 5'10 with an upper-medium sized frame. At the program start last week on Monday 5/13 I weighed in at 20lbs with somewhere between 12-15% bodyfat. This past week my diet has consisted of between 1800 and 2000 calories, 60-70 percent protien, and no more than 35 grams of fat. I don't necessarily advocate a high-protien diet for everyone, but I happen to be very carb sensitive and this approach works best for me when dieting. Training consists of 4-5 days a week of weights followed by a half hour of cardio and an hour of cardio and abs or calves on the "off" days with a full day away from the gym if necessary. Supplements include a multi-vitamin, Hydroxycut, EFAs (essential fatty acids), Pyruvate, and Glutamine to protect my lean mass. After an essentially perfect diet for 6 days and a prety bad cheat day on Sunday (I had a few beers at the Colonial and Mexican food for dinner) I'm down 3lbs to 198. Not alot of weight, but right in line with my long-term trimming plan, as I want to preserve as much lean mass as possible. I could up the cardio and lose it a bit faster, but 2-3 lbs a week is already on the high end for lean mass preservation and long term maintenance. My thoughts on the Hydroxycut is that is a supplenent and should be treated as exactly that, and addition to well thought out plan, not some magical pill that melts fat away. I find the ads for these supplements VERY misleading and want to make sure any of you wanting to lose a few extra pounds have a real view of what they do and what your body is capable of doing. Feel free to share your experiences, thoughts and recent goals met as you may be the motivation for somebody else to get off their butt and do something...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata
At the program start last week on Monday 5/13 I weighed in at 20lbs with somewhere between 12-15% bodyfat.
20 lbs.? You must be REALLY lean!.

I'm not as involved (I should be) in nutrition, but my thoughts are that things like Hydroxycut and Xenadrine give me more energy for my workout. I can't really say if it helps git rid of fat, because I eat so bad. =) I need a plan.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Re: Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal

I'm not as involved (I should be) in nutrition, but my thoughts are that things like Hydroxycut and Xenadrine give me more energy for my workout. I can't really say if it helps git rid of fat, because I eat so bad. =) I need a plan.
Oops, ma bad. That should be 201lbs.

The extra energy is definitely a plus, especially on low motivational days, but like you say, it can only do so much against a less than optimal diet.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 01:44 PM

Re: Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:

No offense Jeremy, but that's not too smart if you ask me. Nutrition is just as big of a deal as working out is. I remember when I used to work out 3x (not that much but still) a week and I never saw any benefits until Feb. when I actually started eating well. Aaron, I'm not really sure if I'm loosing weight from Hydroxycut in the week I have taken it. Are you taking it everyday of the week no matter if youre going to be working out at the gym or not? I got kind of worried when you guys said don't take too much because your body will depend on it too much...well, I don't think I'm taking enough of it now. I took it 4x last week and I am only taking 3 pills a day, one at breakfast, lunch, and right before I work out. I agree with Jeremy in the fact that Hydroxycut gives you a lot of energy. I'm thinking of taking two pills before the gym because after I've been working out about an hr and 15 min I don't feel as energized even with Hydroxycut...what are your thoughts on that? I'm not really sure when I should increase the pills to 2 per meal...?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 02:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:
Originally posted by FbodLover
No offense Jeremy, but that's not too smart if you ask me. Nutrition is just as big of a deal as working out is. I remember when I used to work out 3x (not that much but still) a week and I never saw any benefits until Feb. when I actually started eating well. Aaron, I'm not really sure if I'm loosing weight from Hydroxycut in the week I have taken it. Are you taking it everyday of the week no matter if youre going to be working out at the gym or not? I got kind of worried when you guys said don't take too much because your body will depend on it too much...well, I don't think I'm taking enough of it now. I took it 4x last week and I am only taking 3 pills a day, one at breakfast, lunch, and right before I work out. I agree with Jeremy in the fact that Hydroxycut gives you a lot of energy. I'm thinking of taking two pills before the gym because after I've been working out about an hr and 15 min I don't feel as energized even with Hydroxycut...what are your thoughts on that? I'm not really sure when I should increase the pills to 2 per meal...?
Today I devised somewhat of a plan for lunch with some of my co-workers, since that is our biggest offender. I said to go 2 weeks, which I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Hopefully the others will see some results, and I can push to keep it going. We've all been REALLY bad about eating out. I've been bad. =(
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Re: Re: Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:
Originally posted by FbodLover
I'm not really sure when I should increase the pills to 2 per meal...?
I'd suggest taking 2 before your workout, but stay at one per meal otherwise right now. I take 2 3x a day and am twice your size so don't overdo it. I also take it all week long to keep my metabolism up duriong the day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hydroxycut, one week later

Quote:

Today I devised somewhat of a plan for lunch with some of my co-workers, since that is our biggest offender. I said to go 2 weeks, which I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Hopefully the others will see some results, and I can push to keep it going. We've all been REALLY bad about eating out. I've been bad. =(
The saying goes that it only takes three weeks to form a habit. I say go for it!

Last edited by Big A; 05-22-2002 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 11:32 PM
dispatching aero planes

the best way to do it, if you can't get motivated yourself is to have an outside intervention such as your co-workers. I bet my brother and friend that I could loose 35 pounds from December to May of last year and I did it...the bet...pay for my trip to Cabo San Lucas...I was so happy with the results that I told them to forget about the bet and just buy me some beer while I was down there. There is no better feeling in the world as to accomplish you goal and the best thing is that I have stayed around 200-205 for a year trying to gain more muscle mass which I have, now I am trying to get cut down for summer have a trip coming up to Florida in July and a trip to Mexico in September....if I can do it any one can...I took before photos to and one day I will post them up
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Way to go dude! People take such good car of their "things" (a car, house, boat, etc.), but too many people neglect what should be their number one "possession", their own body. Things come and go, but the body you are in now is what you get for life. Why not take care of it? I too am trying to round up a couple before pics to post when the time for an after comes, if I can do it I know anyone can.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 11:39 PM
dispatching aero planes

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata
Way to go dude! People take such good car of their "things" (a car, house, boat, etc.), but too many people neglect what should be their number one "possession", their own body. Things come and go, but the body you are in now is what you get for life. Why not take care of it? I too am trying to round up a couple before pics to post when the time for an after comes, if I can do it I know anyone can.

I will post up too, if I could do it anyone can.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Sir Clavin

with good diet, lots of H2O and hydroxycut, the best i lost was 5lbs in one week.

dont forget the cardio, makes a huge difference.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by [CS]ls1haha
with good diet, lots of H2O and hydroxycut, the best i lost was 5lbs in one week.

dont forget the cardio, makes a huge difference.
If you are concerned with preserving lean muscle mass, 5lbs is the absolute most you want to lose in a week. Shoot for 2lbs on the high end and 1lb a week is optimal to keep what you've worked hard to earn. The only exception is the first week (possibly the second as well) that you are on a diet. Your body is shifting it's metabolic function, excreting excess water, and the ECA will have an even further diuretic effect, causing alot of your primary loss to be water. Make sure to drink plenty of water, as it is vital for organ function and digestion. To little in your body is unhealthy and will halt progress. Bodybuilders have been hospitalized and even DIED from lack of water in their bodies, so you may take it for granted, but drink up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Lifer

oh believe me you'll burn alot more fat in the next couple of weeks....you'll be amazed how cut you'll get. Good luck keep us posted. I'm fixin to get me a bottle of hydroxycuts.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Rach

How do ya'll even eat on Hydroxycut...when I'm being strict w/ myself and take 4 in the morning...Im not even any kind of hungry until like 6. Then I take 4 more and go work out and then I dont even eat at all that day. LOL, but that's only when I'm being good!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rach
How do ya'll even eat on Hydroxycut...when I'm being strict w/ myself and take 4 in the morning...Im not even any kind of hungry until like 6. Then I take 4 more and go work out and then I dont even eat at all that day. LOL, but that's only when I'm being good!
4 at once is NOT good!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Rach

Ive worked myself up to four over like a 3 month period...any less than that doesnt do really anything for me anymore.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ive worked myself up to four over like a 3 month period...any less than that doesnt do really anything for me anymore.
Then you need to quit it for a month. Your body gets used to the effects you want from it, but the more you take the chance of the negative side effects.

What you could do is quit for a week and switch to another like Xenadrine for a while (slightly different).
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Rach

good deal...does anyone know about body solutions? i heard it works really well, but its expensive as hell. i dont want to spend all that money if its not really worth it.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Quote:
good deal...does anyone know about body solutions? i heard it works really well, but its expensive as hell. i dont want to spend all that money if its not really worth it.
I don't know a thing about it. If it's a healthy meal replacement, then it's ok. But don't skimp on the exercise.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 12:13 PM

lol I'm not trying to be rude Rachael but wow! You're looking for too easy of a solution to loose weight. Why take body soutions? All it is doing is teaching you not to at 3 hrs before bed. Which is what you could do now w/o that. What Lethal said, stop taking Hydroxycut for awhile. Four is a lot...that can't be good for you. Aaron (Playahata) is a pretty big guy and is only taking 2 pills each time he takes them. I've been on hydroxycut for a week and a half, and I am taking one for breakfast, lunch, and workout. I am starting to take two before workout. I would wait more than a week to get on another pill LIKE hydroxycut. You don't NEED hydroxycut, it is only supposed to help a little.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 12:32 PM
Rach

i dont really know anything about body solutions, thats why i was asking, so thanks for your input. im not looking for an easy solution, im looking for what works best so i dont waste my time! ive been taking hc for about a year now...so i guess thats why i have to take 4 to get any effect, i was down to 2 for awhile cause i was sharing a bottle w/ a friend...but when i got my own i built back up to 4. i will take ya'lls advice and try the xenadrine, it seems to be pretty popular. THANKS BOYS!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
First off, if you are taking 8 a day, you need to lay of for a while, you're just wasting your money. This stuff isn't designed to be taken for months at a time, it's just for that last little bit of help and shouldn't be taken for more than 4 weeks at a time. I am a 200 bodybuilder and only take 2 pills 3 times a day before a meal. That's 2 less than you are consuming at almost 2 times the lean mass.

Not eating also happens to be one of the worst things to do to curb fat-loss (unless you are going completely anorexic, eating away muscle and lean tissue more than fat) as your body then signals itself to store everything once you start eating again. You should be eating as often as possible in more of a "grazing" fashion than with "meals". Plan what you are going to eat in the day and only eat a little at a time, say an apple. An hour later eat something else, and so on. In doing so, your metabolic fire will be stoked all day long making better use of its resources to give energy and burn fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:53 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Aaron, I was currious if you think the three pounds you lost on your first week came from the initial upstart back into a regimented workout program or the hydroycut?
what was your activity level before the first week? Im just trying to see the effectiveness of hydroycut on someone is good shape to begin with.

Also the glutamine...when do you find it best to take? It also helps with brain maintenaince and alertness...so what happen to you? J/K....

Thanks, Aaron

Karen
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Aaron, I was currious if you think the three pounds you lost on your first week came from the initial upstart back into a regimented workout program or the hydroycut?
what was your activity level before the first week? Im just trying to see the effectiveness of hydroycut on someone is good shape to begin with.
There is an effect on metabolism that will slightly increase your metabolic rate, both at rest and in the gym, but for me that's not what results in my fat loss. I am guessing that over a month's period of dieting, ECA would increase losses by maybe 10% through it's thermogenic properties(purely a guesstimation), but for me it's main benefit is appetite suppression and the "energy". This allows me to eat with my mind, not with my tastebuds, and to get on cardio like I need to.

To answer your question specifically, only my food intake and amount of cardio changed when I added the hydroxycut. Suprisingly the initial loss wasn't as large as I had expected, I usually see 5-10 the first week of a "diet". I suspect that was because I was retaining alot of water due to the creatine I was taking. I expect quite a bit larger loss on the scale when I weigh in on Monday due to getting rid off that excess water that normally comes off in the first week as well as what was in my muscle cells due to the creatine.

Quote:
Also the glutamine...when do you find it best to take?
I take it in my protien shake right after my work out to aid is muscle repair and again right before bed for night-time recuperation.

Quote:
It also helps with brain maintenaince and alertness...so what happen to you? J/K....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement