Any input on muscle cramps? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Any input on muscle cramps?

The past 2 weeks or so I've been getting really bad cramps in my calf muscles when I run, typically start about a minute or two into my run. I've been stretching for about 10 minutes or so before I actually start my run and in the past that's been enough. I'm currently drinking 80oz of water a day as well. Do I need to be stretching longer, drinking more water, or something else?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I Я Invizabul

tag for input.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Lifer

If you take creatine that could be the reason. I used to have cramps really bad and turns out I wasn't getting enough potassium. I started taking in more (v8 juice is a good source).

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobles06 View Post
If you take creatine that could be the reason. I used to have cramps really bad and turns out I wasn't getting enough potassium. I started taking in more (v8 juice is a good source).
So far I haven't been, today was actually my first day trying out SuperPump 250 and I believe it has creatine in it. I honestly couldn't tell you how much potassium i'm getting each dy though... could that be it?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
So far I haven't been, today was actually my first day trying out SuperPump 250 and I believe it has creatine in it. I honestly couldn't tell you how much potassium i'm getting each dy though... could that be it?

Yes. Its an electrolyte just like sodium and most multi's don't have potassium in them. Btw superpump rocks I prefer it to noxplod.

1995 Cobra

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Banana's have potassium
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post
Banana's have potassium
good job. i drink v8 juice because out of all things, i am only allergic to bannanas.

1995 Cobra

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Time Served

Could be that your stretching is causing early fatigue and cramps while you're running. There is no evidence that concludes that stretching decreases injury or soreness, though we still tend to do it before we exercise. This study cites the reason why you may be cramping up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15903372
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Yes. Its an electrolyte just like sodium and most multi's don't have potassium in them. Btw superpump rocks I prefer it to noxplod.
I'll start eating more banana's each week. I've really cut back and tried to watch my sodium intake, so I'll bet that has to be a contributing factor to it.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Could be that your stretching is causing early fatigue and cramps while you're running. There is no evidence that concludes that stretching decreases injury or soreness, though we still tend to do it before we exercise. This study cites the reason why you may be cramping up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15903372
Wow, very interesting read. I'm wondering if starting off with a brisk walk might help out as well, instead of starting into the running right away.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
tex
Lifer

It's better to warm up slowly as you begin, instead of stretching. Google dynamic warm-up. Electrolytes might help, but reducing any sugar could help solve any dehydration problems you may have.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Wow, very interesting read. I'm wondering if starting off with a brisk walk might help out as well, instead of starting into the running right away.
I like to do a slow then quick walk for about 5 minutes before I do cardio, it definitely seems to help me get the blood flowing...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
It's better to warm up slowly as you begin, instead of stretching. Google dynamic warm-up. Electrolytes might help, but reducing any sugar could help solve any dehydration problems you may have.
Does dehydration typically lead to cramps?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
tex
Lifer

Yeah, it's one of several direct causes.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Bitter Italian

h20^
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Lifer

try Brawndo "the thirst mutilator," its got electrolytes.

1995 Cobra

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
try Brawndo "the thirst mutilator," its got electrolytes.
Bullshit like that is the LAST thing someone with cramping problems should have.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Bullshit like that is the LAST thing someone with cramping problems should have.
It's a joke from Idiocracy.

The studies on cramping are vast and inconclusive at best. Some say hydration, some say electrolyte imbalance, some say stretch, some say don't, some say genetics, etc. You're going to have to experiment and find what works for you because the fixes seem to vary from person to person.

I'd recommend being adequately hydrated and nourished, start with a slower warm up, followed by a dynamic stretch (avoid static stretches) and then get into your workout. Follow your workout with adequate nutrition to prepare the muscles for next time.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

The thing that boggles my mind is that I'm only cramping when I run, when I'm in the gym I have no problems with cramps.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Worship me

Since it only happens when you run it may not be an issue with nutrition.

It could also be your shoes or the angle of the treadmill that you are on. It could also just be because your muscles are out of shape. You may have to just run on through it.

I always walk 3 to 5 minutes before I run. I never stretch.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Since it only happens when you run it may not be an issue with nutrition.

It could also be your shoes or the angle of the treadmill that you are on. It could also just be because your muscles are out of shape. You may have to just run on through it.

I always walk 3 to 5 minutes before I run. I never stretch.
I hope it's not the shoes lol, I spent an hour and a half at a Run-On store being fitted for the perfect shoes... at least so I've thought. I've got a brand new pair of the Asics Gel Nimbus 11's, which they said are a great running shoe. Not the most expensive but a great shoe none the less.

I think I'll start with a little of everything:
Up the water intake say to 100oz every day
Start with a 3-5 min walking warm up
Eat more nanners

I'll give it a week of that and post and update for you guys.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Lifer

Drink more water, intake more potassium. Warm your legs up BEFORE stretching. Stretching cold muscles is just asking for an injury and can fatigue them quickly too.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
It's a joke from Idiocracy.
Ah, I wondered why I saw so much crap about, but I've never been able to make it more than a few minutes into that movie.
Quote:
The thing that boggles my mind is that I'm only cramping when I run, when I'm in the gym I have no problems with cramps.
Since it only happens in your calves, and only while running and not at night or in the gym, I'm going to agree with Al, it's probably because your calves are out of shape.

If you run with a mid/fore foot strike, which is optimal, then your calves are absorbing most of the force, which is considerable. If that's the case, it might take you several weeks or more before they stop cramping during the run. My calves are always super sore after a long run, but I'd rather have my calves sore and no back or knee problems.

Ice them down after your runs to help ease the pain, I'd suggest keeping bags of frozen vegetables (esp. peas) in the freezer, they conform to the shape of your calves better than ice bags or packs.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
I hope it's not the shoes lol, I spent an hour and a half at a Run-On store being fitted for the perfect shoes... at least so I've thought. I've got a brand new pair of the Asics Gel Nimbus 11's, which they said are a great running shoe. Not the most expensive but a great shoe none the less.

I think I'll start with a little of everything:
Up the water intake say to 100oz every day
Start with a 3-5 min walking warm up
Eat more nanners

I'll give it a week of that and post and update for you guys.
First, up the water to 128 ounces. Next if your running in anything other than this http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ your doing it wrong.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Crackalack!

I don't think my flat feet would like those very much, Nick.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
First, up the water to 128 ounces. Next if your running in anything other than this http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ your doing it wrong.
Proper form matters more than footwear, but VFFs force proper form, among other benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton View Post
I don't think my flat feet would like those very much, Nick.
Dougles, if you improve your form, you can run in any or no footwear, pain free.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Hired Hand

Potasium.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement