Two skinny guys trying to add some weight - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Censored

Two skinny guys trying to add some weight

My roomate and I are trying to get a little mass added to us, and the last time I tried I lost 10lbs and gained 5lbs.

He just wants to work arms, but I want just want to get a little of everything. What kind of diet and supplements should we be on?

My roomate is 5'9" 140
I am 5'11" 145

Doors Done Rite

Last edited by big_tiger; 01-29-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Very Interesting

[greyhorse diet]Eat everything you can get your hands on, super size it, double patty it, add a milk shake to it[/greyhorse diet]

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Hired Hand

Anybody that "just wants to do arms" doesn't need supplements, they need an education in physiology.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
African Booty Scratcher

curls for the girls!!

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Anybody that "just wants to do arms" doesn't need supplements, they need an education in physiology.
Upper body, He just doesn't care about his legs. I played soccer so I always made sure my legs were up to snuf.

Doors Done Rite
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
[greyhorse diet]Eat everything you can get your hands on, super size it, double patty it, add a milk shake to it[/greyhorse diet]
Should I worry about fat intake? Fuck I can eat but I don't want an ass load of fat.

Doors Done Rite
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
Should I worry about fat intake? Fuck I can eat but I don't want an ass load of fat.
How old are you? I mean if your metabolism is that kick ass, then go ahead and just eat!

When I first met greyhorse he was a whopping 155 i think, and that was probably soaking wet! Now he's around 205?

He'd be the one I'd ask when it comes to building mass, diet, etc. At least around here. Most of the muscleheads here have good genetics

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Big Rooster Racing

hell im 5'11 125 soaking wet.....ive been trying to gain weight for years. i was eating pbj banana ice cream and a protein shake right before bed......still nothing.

my metabolism hits overdrive when i go to bed.

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
How old are you? I mean if your metabolism is that kick ass, then go ahead and just eat!

When I first met greyhorse he was a whopping 155 i think, and that was probably soaking wet! Now he's around 205?

He'd be the one I'd ask when it comes to building mass, diet, etc. At least around here. Most of the muscleheads here have good genetics
23 he is 29

Doors Done Rite
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
not exclude

A couple years back I sat at about 155 pretty steadily and really wanted to gain weight (I'm 5'10''). I sit at about 185-190 now and what it boiled down to was I lessened the amount of cardio I was doing and ate, ate, ate. 90% of the people who say they can't gain weight simply don't eat enough. I wasn't eating cleanly, but I just crammed as much food into my mouth as I could at every sitting and was eating until I felt sick. You can definitely do it by eating cleanly too, but just up your intake and eat, eat, eat. A weight gaining shake can definitely make it easier on you too.

Move your weight lifting to low reps (I like 5 or 6) and do 4 or 5 sets of that. Take a medium pace with it.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
My roomate and I are trying to get a little mass added to us, and the last time I tried I lost 10lbs and gained 5lbs.

He just wants to work arms, but I want just want to get a little of everything. What kind of diet and supplements should we be on?

My roomate is 5'9" 135
I am 5'11" 145
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/gainer.html

The vanilla shake mix tastes great. I haven't tried any others yet. I'm thinking cookies n cream next time...

Edit: Btw, eat anything and everything and eat until you can't keep the food down anymore. If you're skinny, you won't get fat. I used to eat Burger King 5 times a day while I was working there and working out. Didn't gain any fat.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
emg
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
A couple years back I sat at about 155 pretty steadily and really wanted to gain weight (I'm 5'10''). I sit at about 185-190 now and what it boiled down to was I lessened the amount of cardio I was doing and ate, ate, ate. 90% of the people who say they can't gain weight simply don't eat enough. I wasn't eating cleanly, but I just crammed as much food into my mouth as I could at every sitting and was eating until I felt sick. You can definitely do it by eating cleanly too, but just up your intake and eat, eat, eat. A weight gaining shake can definitely make it easier on you too.

Move your weight lifting to low reps (I like 5 or 6) and do 4 or 5 sets of that. Take a medium pace with it.
im 5'7 and about 166, i eat alot, lots of food that makes most people fat. my problem is i have a little gut and thats it. my arms look like most freshmen in high school. i know i need to lift weights, i just hate going to gyms with me barley being able to bench the bar
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

Yeah pretty much what these guys have been saying. I'm also 5'9''-5'10'' and weighd just under 140 when I came out to afghanistan. I've been eating everything I could and lifting with a shake after every work out and usually one between meals and am now at 165. It's taken a year, but it's been worth it.

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg View Post
im 5'7 and about 166, i eat alot, lots of food that makes most people fat. my problem is i have a little gut and thats it. my arms look like most freshmen in high school. i know i need to lift weights, i just hate going to gyms with me barley being able to bench the bar
Everyone has to start somewhere.

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Upper body, He just doesn't care about his legs.
Ummm, is your roommate black, by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:

LOL, I beg to differ as he has some of the BEST genetics on here!
Hence why he can eat how he does and you or me cannot.
We are naturally fat boys and have to fight our genetics on a daily basis.
You found that out whenever you got off your "diet" and the weight magically came back to you.

And to add, eating shitty on a daily basis also increases the chance of dying early from a heart condition as well(long term effects).
But what do doctors know and who cares about what happens later in life right???

Last edited by Stangin4Lyfe; 01-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
LOL, I beg to differ as he has some of the BEST genetics on here!
Hence why he can eat how he does and you or me cannot.
We are naturally fat boys and have to fight our genetics on a daily basis.

And to add, eating shitty on a daily basis also increases the chance of dying early from a heart condition as well(long term effects).
But what do doctors know and who cares about what happens later in life right???
I don't plan on making it past 65, so i've made it half way. I mean that's when it's all downhill anyways!

I'm not saying he should do it FOREVER, but he's trying to put on mass, and eating clean, and 6000 calories ain't easy! But 3 double quarter pounders and fries a day is

I guess good genetics, meaning, the ability to get big, and put on mass. I know it was a lot of work for Greg to put on mass, but it's capable. Guys like you, and The Raven (although you're never satisfied with your size) have the genetics to build mass relatively easy, up to a certian point.

The small fries, like 347Mike, Don, and these guys have to work at that.

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Upper body, He just doesn't care about his legs. I played soccer so I always made sure my legs were up to snuf.
Your legs are the largest muscle group in the body, and are instrumental for inducing natural testosterone production. When your legs grow, the rest follows suit (granted that you are training everything).

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

I once up on a time was even skinnier than I am now. I could barley lift any weight and was 6'1" at 155lbs.

I then learned how to lift in High school and was cut, but still very skinny. Then I found out that after 23 years old, gaining weight was a little easier. And then I found beer..... LOL.

But seriously when I want to pack on size I can. I went from 170lbs to 205lbs in about 1 year. For 6 months I was taking 5-6 Protein shakes a day, Cytogainer and MuscleMilk. I also took BCAA's and Vitamins. I then ate everything I could. And I mean everything, a whole pizza, Burgers, 8 chicken breasts and double rice, eggs till I couldn't eat, PB and J's, you name it. I ended up a little unhappy with my lower abs gaining fat, but with this calorie intake I was able to pack on muscle.

I was lifting heavy, well heavy for me, 5 times a week, hitting my whole body, not just upper body.

I am now sitting at 185lbs and happy with my small frame. I can cut weight and gain if I want to because I know how to do it properly now. I talked to guys on here like Greg, Stangin4lyfe, and the Raven. they know a ton and are all great guys. I had good workout partners and stayed motivated. I accept the fact that I am a small frame guy and will never get huge, but I was happpy at my best hitting 250lbs on bench, lol. It is possible man, just educate yourself and stick to the plan. there are plenty of people here that can help.

Just remember if you think you ate enough, eat more. If you can't lift it anymroe, get a spotter and lift till failure. Build muscle, don't wate your time in the gym.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm over it!

I'm trying to gain 8 lbs and i eat like a damn horse and unhealthy as hell, and i keep losing. Eating like crazy does not help everyone.

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't plan on making it past 65, so i've made it half way. I mean that's when it's all downhill anyways!

I'm not saying he should do it FOREVER, but he's trying to put on mass, and eating clean, and 6000 calories ain't easy! But 3 double quarter pounders and fries a day is

I guess good genetics, meaning, the ability to get big, and put on mass. I know it was a lot of work for Greg to put on mass, but it's capable. Guys like you, and The Raven (although you're never satisfied with your size) have the genetics to build mass relatively easy, up to a certian point.

True, and I see your point, but I have always been an advocate of eating healthy regardless.
But then again, I always think of everything in long term outcomes/consequences.
I consume quite a bit of food in a day and could actually consume more, but I have to regulate my intake due to my genetics and wanting to keep the BF somewhat low.

Building mass has been FAR from easy for me bro.
Whenever I first started working out, I had 35+% bf and weighed 207lbs and couldn't even bench 115lbs once(sad, I know!).
Now I rep the 110lb dumbbells for sets of 30 at a time and am getting close to single digit bf, if not already there.
I've been in the gym for 8 years straight now and even kicked it up to 7 days a week, 2 hrs a day of LIFTING alone for the last 7 months.
I have never missed one meal, never ate fast food, never drank anything but water, never missed one single workout, never touch alcohol...etc.
I wish my results came easy like you make it sound.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Lifer

Just wait until you hit your 40's. Then you can't look at food without gaining weight....
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

It boils down to the 3 basic body types, Endo, Ecto, and Meso (morphic). While I agree that an ectomorph can get away with eating junk, it would be far healthier and gains would be more solid if those calories were to come from clean sources such as fresh fruit and veggies, and lean meats. Fast food may not be considered empty calories like alcohol, but alot of it's contents are only marginally better in terms of nutritional value.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Hired Hand

FWIW some pros (Ahnold) have been none to smokle cannibis to induce their appetite, because they were sick of eating so much. You can't build a shithouse of you don't have enough bricks.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
True, and I see your point, but I have always been an advocate of eating healthy regardless.
But then again, I always think of everything in long term outcomes/consequences.
I consume quite a bit of food in a day and could actually consume more, but I have to regulate my intake due to my genetics and wanting to keep the BF somewhat low.

Building mass has been FAR from easy for me bro.
Whenever I first started working out, I had 35+% bf and weighed 207lbs and couldn't even bench 115lbs once(sad, I know!).
Now I rep the 110lb dumbbells for sets of 30 at a time and am getting close to single digit bf, if not already there.
I've been in the gym for 8 years straight now and even kicked it up to 7 days a week, 2 hrs a day of LIFTING alone for the last 7 months.
I have never missed one meal, never ate fast food, never drank anything but water, never missed one single workout, never touch alcohol...etc.
I wish my results came easy like you make it sound.
Trust me I'm not saying hard work and dedication aren't part of your success

And to stay as lean as you do, etc. necessarily wasn't what i was talking about in terms of genetic ability to put on mass.

And yes eating clean is "better" for you, but then again, we all know you're a bit of an extremist

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
It boils down to the 3 basic body types, Endo, Ecto, and Meso (morphic). While I agree that an ectomorph can get away with eating junk, it would be far healthier and gains would be more solid if those calories were to come from clean sources such as fresh fruit and veggies, and lean meats. Fast food may not be considered empty calories like alcohol, but alot of it's contents are only marginally better in terms of nutritional value.
SO should I just drink a lot of protein shakes or eat at Jack in the Box?

Doors Done Rite
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm over it!

Don't they make a weight gainer?

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
SO should I just drink a lot of protein shakes or eat at Jack in the Box?
Tha answer may depend on your budget as much as anything. For the shakes I would go for an actual weight gainer, as the caloric content is much higher, as they add carbs, and in many cases fat, to make a more well rounded "meal." In a perfect world I'd suggest a thick but lean steak and potatoes once a week, with lots of chicken and whitefish the other 6 days, along with yams, oatmeal, whole-grain and white rice, and all the veggies you can stomach. Shakes shouldn't be a staple, they are called a "supplement" for a reason. Save them for when you're tight on time or post workout.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
Don't they make a weight gainer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

^ There you go. It's just a meal replacement. 4 scoops = 600 calories, a lot of protein and a lot of carbs.

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Tha answer may depend on your budget as much as anything. For the shakes I would go for an actual weight gainer, as the caloric content is much higher, as they add carbs, and in many cases fat, to make a more well rounded "meal." In a perfect world I'd suggest a thick but lean steak and potatoes once a week, with lots of chicken and whitefish the other 6 days, along with yams, oatmeal, whole-grain and white rice, and all the veggies you can stomach. Shakes shouldn't be a staple, they are called a "supplement" for a reason. Save them for when you're tight on time or post workout.
Priorities man, priorities!
Hence why I tell my gf all the time that I can't afford to go out to eat(because I spent all my $$$ at the grocery store and Sams already!). LOL

She wanted to cook for me this weekend and I told her before she started that she needed to fax or email me a copy of the nutritional label.
She laughed and I told her that I ain't playin!
She thinks I am though, you watch...she will cook me up some BS and I will throw that crap straight in the trashcan!
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Lifer

I go and sit down at restraunts 3x a day and eat a nice meal and I still can't gain any weight plus I pig out when I'm at home. I'm 21 years old and I'm 6'1" and weigh 155 pounds.... I swear I can't get any bigger. I have yet to try the shakes though or any other type of supplement.

On a side note my paps and my brother are the exact same way...

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
She wanted to cook for me this weekend and I told her before she started that she needed to fax or email me a copy of the nutritional label.
She thinks I am though, you watch...she will cook me up some BS and I will throw that crap straight in the trashcan!

Please post results of this encounter at dinner should said events happen, LMAO!

post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post
Please post results of this encounter at dinner should said events happen, LMAO!
Seriously. I want my abs back and all, but I'm at a point in my life that it's not worth hurting the feelings of someone I care about. Looking good only goes so far once you've pushed everybody away from being a self-centered ass.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Priorities man, priorities!
Hence why I tell my gf all the time that I can't afford to go out to eat(because I spent all my $$$ at the grocery store and Sams already!). LOL

Do you ever have fun? OR i should i ask, what's your definition of "fun"?
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Do you ever have fun? OR i should i ask, what's your definition of "fun"?
I'm 30 man, I had my "fun" in my earlier years and it got me nowhere.
Nowadays, it's all about progression, dedication, achieving goals, and producing results!
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post
Please post video results of this encounter at dinner should said events happen, LMAO!
Fixed
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
I'm 30 man, I had my "fun" in my earlier years and it got me nowhere.
Nowadays, it's all about progression, dedication, achieving goals, and producing results!

i guess, i'm almost 30 myself and i'm not done having fun yet. I'll wait til i'm 40 to stop that shit.

I'm just not dedicated enough to anything lol
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Lifer

I am by no means trying to come off as an expert, but if you are serious about this look up some of my old posts. A few posts/threads of mine had some of the routines I used during my climb.

I started around 130ish and worked my way up to 167 in under a year and was around 12% BF. I doubled just about all of my lifts if not more and did it all "natural".

It is by no means easy for us skinny people. I ate 4000+ calories a day for almost 6 months straight and once I stopped working out, I lost it all in about a month and a half. Muscle and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I was always going for 10 or 20 reps of whatever I could do. That and suicides, or whatever they're called.

Doors Done Rite
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I was always going for 10 or 20 reps of whatever I could do. That and suicides, or whatever they're called.
High-rep sets will not induce muscle hypertrophy (growth), you need to up your weights and lower your reps. I'd recommend a 2-week cycle between 10-12, 8-10, and 5-8 rep sets. Do a rep range (always to failure) for 2 weeks, adjustinmg your weights to be sure to never to drop below the low end of the range nor should you be able to do more reps than the high end. Then switch to the next rep range for 2 weeks. This works 2-fold in that it keeps your muscles "guessing" in terms of muscle memory, and it also hits the sweet spots for strength, growth, and endurance.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Censored

IDK if I am reading it right, are you saying start off at 10-12 or 5-8 reps?

Doors Done Rite
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
2weeks 10-12
2weeks 8-10
2weeks 5-8

I personally think the hardest part was the eating. I literally stuffed my face non stop. From the time I woke up, until I went to sleep. Yeah it sounds easy for someone who eats "normal" but for someone who is 130 lbs and needs to stuff their face to 3500+ or more calories is not as easy as it sounds. As funny as it sounds, I would say practice eating first.

Quote:
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Lifer

Here is sort of what my eating routine consisted of during my workout. Now this is most likely not 100% as it has been a while but you get the idea.

(times may be slightly off)

6:30am - Shake for the ride to work
7:15am - 3-4 Hard boiled eggs
8:45am - 3-4 packets of oatmeal
9:15am - Protein bar of some sort/yogurt cups
10:30ish I would have sometimes 1-2 pre made rice packets and 1-2 chicken breast
12:00pm - another 3-4 packets of oatmeal
1:00pm - Cookie, protein bar, yogurt cups, or something else to fill me up (sometimes id run to the store for a few jr bacons from wendys)
2:30 - Protein bar
3:30 - I would take another shake and my pre work out supplements.
6:30ish I would sometimes buy another protein shake from the gym for the ride home
7:00 - 1 packet of rice, chicken breast (sometimes 2)
8:00 Desert - 2 yogurt cups sometimes another shake
9:30 - Sleeep

My eating schedule was like clockwork everyday throughout my workout. It was to the point once I walked through the house door, I was squeezing my anus to keep from shitting my pants.

Quote:
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
It doesn't matter, just change it up every 2 weeks.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:

My roomate is 5'9" 140
I am 5'11" 145

i was the same way. i took halodrol (not halodrol 50), used creatine, 3 protein shakes a day, pre workout supp, and 3 big meals a day (mostly omletes, french toast, chicken breast and veggies). i worked out 5 times a week. did a 5x5 routine and ran 3 miles every other day. i took me 5 months to put on 15 lbs (minimal fat due to the cardio).

beware when you stop working out you'll loose it all. i lost all the weight i gained in 2 months of not working out.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.

Last edited by jnobles06; 01-29-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement