Healthy Snacks - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO
 
SEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,211
Healthy Snacks

Well I have been trying to get back in better shape for summer & there are times when im hungry & dont want to eat a meal. I just want something to snack on.

I have been eating popcorn to help my craving. But i need some other ideas. Shooting for some 18inch guns & want to stay away from fatty foods as I hit 220 over the holidays & man am I paying my dues trying to lose it


GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
SEB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
My mid morning snack (that I'm eating right this moment) is usually a fruit or veggie (apple, orange, carrots, brocolli) and a lean meat (deli turkey breast, chicken chunks I cooked the night before, canned/packaged tuna). I also carry a large protein shake around all day to sip whenever I feel like it. Popcorn has no real value to it and simply doesn't satiate me. Don't be too afraid of healthy fats to fill you up, in moderation of course.
exlude is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
Just break your meals down into 5-6 smaller meals, and there ya go

You eat every 2-3 hours, it's hard for you to get that "craving"

Here is my schedule, same thing every day, except dinner may vary.

9am - ABB Extreme Body 50 Protein shake
11am - Monster Milk - Cake Batter - Protein shake
1pm - brown rice and chicken breast (some mixed veggies mixed in)
3pm - ABB EXtreme Body 50 Protein shake
6pm - Dinner (if home, same as lunch, if out typically a salad with grilled chicken breast and a vinegarette)

then if I get hungry after dinner, i'll have some pickles or light string cheese as a snack.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
SEB my snacks are:

Lean Beef Jerky or Ostrich Jerky
Organic Yogurt with Almonds
Egg Whites
Protein Drinks galore
Protein Cereal

I eat this day in and day out.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifer
 
Marisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tarrant
Posts: 10,319
sugar free applesauce is yummy to me. i love the strawberry flavored kind.
Marisa is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO
 
SEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,211
I will be honest. I eat like crazy. I feel like I eat so much its nuts. I dont mean just at part of the day. I like to snack all day on things & then tear it up at meal time too.

My THC habit doesnt help. But I always do that after the work out. But god I get the munchys so bad & want to chill out on the couch & eat & be lazy after working out.

Trying to work out in the morning & afternoon. Just want to try & stay healthy


GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
SEB is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
sugar free applesauce is yummy to me. i love the strawberry flavored kind.
Just a little education lesson for everyone...
Sugar-free usually means replaced with modified corn starch and a small amount of sucralose BTW.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer
 
zachary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Just break your meals down into 5-6 smaller meals, and there ya go

You eat every 2-3 hours, it's hard for you to get that "craving"
THIS!
-helped me a lot with craving and starvation...
zachary is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
I eat stuff like almonds, fresh fruit or a protein shake.

Wal mart sells a little box of almonds salted with sea salt. They are $6 a pound and damn they are good. I could never figure out why almonds in a Hershey bar taste so much different than almonds you buy in a bag at the store. It is the salt they put on them.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
AL P is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET
 
Shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gone
Posts: 7,886
I keep raw almonds and protein bars and shakes in my desk for in between meals while at work.
Shorty is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
SEB my snacks are:

Lean Beef Jerky or Ostrich Jerky
Organic Yogurt with Almonds
Egg Whites
Protein Drinks galore
Protein Cereal

I eat this day in and day out.
I had to laugh at what I was going to post because it's similar.

Beef Jerky
Grapes (fresh or frozen)
Eggs (eat the damn yolk, it's not bad for you)
Popcorn
Almonds
03trubluGT is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I had to laugh at what I was going to post because it's similar.

Beef Jerky
Grapes (fresh or frozen)
Eggs (eat the damn yolk, it's not bad for you)
Popcorn
Almonds
I take that back, I eat one yolk a day(limited due to the cholesterol levels contained in the yolk) mixed with 8oz's of egg whites.
The yolk has most of the fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids that your body needs.
Additionally, when shopping for eggs, make sure and get the pastured eggs, if available.
If you are going to eat the yolks, eat them in moderation.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
I take that back, I eat one yolk a day(limited due to the cholesterol levels contained in the yolk) mixed with 8oz's of egg whites.
The yolk has most of the fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids that your body needs.
Additionally, when shopping for eggs, make sure and get the pastured eggs, if available.
If you are going to eat the yolks, eat them in moderation.
Have you tried switching to Omega-3 eggs? I've read that due to the ammount of flaxseed/fish oil fed to the chickens, that the cholesterol in omega-3 eggs is substantially more on the good cholesterol side, and many people are using the whole omega-3 eggs, rather than egg whites and one yolk of standard.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Have you tried switching to Omega-3 eggs? I've read that due to the ammount of flaxseed/fish oil fed to the chickens, that the cholesterol in omega-3 eggs is substantially more on the good cholesterol side, and many people are using the whole omega-3 eggs, rather than egg whites and one yolk of standard.
Yes, that is what I use and yes, the quality or difference in eggs depends on what they are fed(such as free-range or caged animals and so forth).
I take in plenty of fish oil, eat a lot of natural peanut butter, eat almonds, and drink 90% pure acia berry juice, so I get in my share of Omegas as it is.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO
 
SEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Yes, that is what I use and yes, the quality or difference in eggs depends on what they are fed(such as free-range or caged animals and so forth).
I take in plenty of fish oil, eat a lot of natural peanut butter, eat almonds, and drink 90% pure acia berry juice, so I get in my share of Omegas as it is.
Whats your body weight at & fat percentage Justin. Im 34 & know we are close to the same age & really want to make a go at getting ripped up & bulked up for summer,

I just went in the food pantry & grabbed some sunflower seeds. But they say 130 calories from Fat.

I mean is there anything good & sweet & fun to eat when your trying to get that perfect body again


GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
SEB is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Special K cereal bars is what I use as a small snack, they're low in fat, low in calories and taste great. Plus they can be had for about $2.50 a box.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Whats your body weight at & fat percentage Justin. Im 34 & know we are close to the same age & really want to make a go at getting ripped up & bulked up for summer,

I just went in the food pantry & grabbed some sunflower seeds. But they say 130 calories from Fat.

I mean is there anything good & sweet & fun to eat when your trying to get that perfect body again
I just turned 30 and I'm around 245lbs or so and I am guessing around 10% BF(haven't busted out my calipers in quite a while).
I have never been really lean, as I enjoy eating too much!

Yes, sunflower seeds are loaded with fat and usually coated with sodium.

Yes, Myofusion protein is good, sweet, and fun to eat/drink and always tastes great in my book!
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
i buy the 2lb jugs of Raw unsalted Almonds at Target. Take them home and roast them myself. Pretty damn good if i do say so my damn self. And protien bars for snacks too during the day.
bert89coupe is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO
 
SEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Special K cereal bars is what I use as a small snack, they're low in fat, low in calories and taste great. Plus they can be had for about $2.50 a box.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Man Moto! Those sound good. I like Almonds but they are hard on my teeth


GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
SEB is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Man Moto! Those sound good. I like Almonds but they are hard on my teeth
They're pretty chewy actually, I have sensitive teeth and I have no problem with them.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
600 hp 13 forward gears
 
lxturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 99 Peterbilt 379 ex. hood 600 ISX cummins Rollin down the super slab !
Posts: 1,506




Fox stang coupe
97 F-250 4x4 crew cab shorty smokes really bad sometimes ???
Future cummins conversion above.
rice rocket for a daily.
lxturbo is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Well I have been trying to get back in better shape for summer & there are times when im hungry & dont want to eat a meal. I just want something to snack on.

I have been eating popcorn to help my craving. But i need some other ideas. Shooting for some 18inch guns & want to stay away from fatty foods as I hit 220 over the holidays & man am I paying my dues trying to lose it






layoff the weed!!!

Keepin' The Old School Alive
scootro is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Lifer
 
Marisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tarrant
Posts: 10,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Just a little education lesson for everyone...
Sugar-free usually means replaced with modified corn starch and a small amount of sucralose BTW.
uh oh.
Marisa is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Fresh fruit (apples, oranges, seedless grapes) low fat popcorn (they make some 100 calorie packs), or fat free pretzels.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 PM
CHAMPION
 
Bullitt3246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 4,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
I just turned 30 and I'm around 245lbs or so and I am guessing around 10% BF(haven't busted out my calipers in quite a while).
I have never been really lean, as I enjoy eating too much!

Yes, sunflower seeds are loaded with fat and usually coated with sodium.

Yes, Myofusion protein is good, sweet, and fun to eat/drink and always tastes great in my book!
10%?

Come on brotha! I wouldnt even say Im 10% and YOU KNOW we are two WAY different body types!

ask you friendly 24hour person on your sunday 4am leg day to measure you for 5 min and get back to us...lol

too bad I cant catch a day out their(work) tell ya soms BS stories....


2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
Bullitt3246 is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt3246 View Post
10%?

Come on brotha! I wouldnt even say Im 10% and YOU KNOW we are two WAY different body types!

ask you friendly 24hour person on your sunday 4am leg day to measure you for 5 min and get back to us...lol

too bad I cant catch a day out their(work) tell ya soms BS stories....
I posted up a few pictures of myself just recently in this forum(see transformation thread).
I have leaned up quite a bit since we hung out, but still haven't done a day of cardio though(so I wouldn't call myself lean by any means).
You know how I workout and how I eat.

I have my own calipers, no need to ask any of those retards for anything.

Yea, I hear ya man, we need to catch up.
Like I said, feel free to come hit a real workout with me sometime!

Here are a couple 12% BF's for examples and you can compare my picture to theirs to give you a good idea...
Like I said, I am AROUND 10%, but would probably guess 12% after seeing these pictures...either way, it doesn't matter...it's just a number and I give it my best.






Last edited by Stangin4Lyfe; 01-29-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Lifer
 
KoopaTroopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 1,444
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Special K cereal bars is what I use as a small snack, they're low in fat, low in calories and taste great. Plus they can be had for about $2.50 a box.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
I use these as a snack too. I believe they have 90 calories..
My favorite is the strawberry.. Yummmm
KoopaTroopa is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Grapes (fresh or frozen)
Man, I LOVE frozen grapes! Especially during the summer.
UserX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome