Time to get back in shape - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Time to get back in shape

Well, I started getting back into the regiment of working out and getting fit again. It's been a few years since I did this, decided to take a few measurements for my before, and I was curious to see peoples experiences on their arms, and what their workout consists of. I've been doing push-ups after my run/bike and my arms are definitely feeling the burn, but I've kept a decent size with just push-ups just over 17" on my arms. I'd like to make some real progress in the upcoming months. I'm shooting to loose close to 60-80lbs over the next 6 months. I was able to do this a few years ago with just running, but this time I'd like to build more muscle as well, get to around where I was in football when I was younger. I kept things extremely simple on my last diet, pretty much ate tuna sandwiches with egg whites, chicken breasts, and peanut butter sandwiches before cardio. I've never used any muscle builders before, or anything of that nature. Kind of looking for some experience here on the best route for me since I'm a bigger guy which isn't necessarily focused on adding muscle weight as much as losing the insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Lifer

You know Ceej, I'd stay away from any muscle builders and just eat a proper diet. You don't need to be putting more processed chemicals into your body, just eat right and exercise. I know it sounds simple, but it will save you money.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
You know Ceej, I'd stay away from any muscle builders and just eat a proper diet. You don't need to be putting more processed chemicals into your body, just eat right and exercise. I know it sounds simple, but it will save you money.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I never really had much use for them myself, I just don't want to get thin and lose a lot of muscle weight either. However, I'll admit most all of my friends use them religiously, and I'm a little curious about what my results might be.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
and peanut butter sandwiches before cardio.
Cardio is most effective when done first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Why in the world would you eat PB&J first? That's asking for slow progress and cramps.

I do agree with Matt in that you shouldn't be as focused on building muscle until a good majority of the weight is gone. To grow effectively you need to have a surplus of calories in your body at all times, which is completely the opposite of what's needed to burn fat. By no means should you steer clear from the gym, as you most certainly can get stronger being that you are relatively un-trained, and the influx of natural test will aid in the leaining process, as well as raise your resting BMR (basal metabolic rate), allowing you to burn more calories throughout the day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
That's kind of what I was thinking. I never really had much use for them myself, I just don't want to get thin and lose a lot of muscle weight either. However, I'll admit most all of my friends use them religiously, and I'm a little curious about what my results might be.
Save your money for when you can 100% commit to a training and diet regimen that is conducive to muscle growth. Minimize the potential damage during your diet by taking it slow and steady.

I was down into single digit bodyfat last time, before I noticed any effect on strength.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
CJ

I don't think I've ever had a cramp after any workout in my life honestly. I always had about a tablespoon of peanut butter before games when I played football, I noticed an improvement is energy and stamina honestly.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
We lost one.....

I used the SAIS training routine. I followed everything to the letter and lost a massive amount of weight and won a trip to Vegas at my works weight loss contest. I did use a fat burner with ephedra but I don't think that it had that significant of an effect. Its not for everyone but it worked great for me. An hour a day, 4 days a week suited me just fine.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I don't think I've ever had a cramp after any workout in my life honestly. I always had about a tablespoon of peanut butter before games when I played football, I noticed an improvement is energy and stamina honestly.
Eating before a game has a completely different purpose than doing cardio. When doing cardio you want to have depleted your glycogen stores, either through exercise (weight training) or not eating for 6-8 hours (sleep). Without glycogen for fuel your body will go straight to fat for energy. By eating before hand you'l have to burn through all that sugar before beginning to burn fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Eating before a game has a completely different purpose than doing cardio. When doing cardio you want to have depleted your glycogen stores, either through exercise (weight training) or not eating for 6-8 hours (sleep). Without glycogen for fuel your body will go straight to fat for energy. By eating before hand you'l have to burn through all that sugar before beginning to burn fat.
Morning workouts are not really an option for me, I have to be at work very early, so it would be near impossible to wake up at 4am to work out, I'd have to go to sleep hours after I get home - and I still need a life. So, the best thing for me is working out in the evenings. Right now, I eat a light breakfast (small cup of oatmeal) followed by a sandwich at lunch, and usually fruit around 4pm, or 3pm. I usually bike or run after work, which is around 7-8pm - and that usually lasts until about 10:30. What I need to know is given what you've said, when would be the best time to eat dinner.. after I work out - before I go to sleep? Kind of the problem I'm having.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Morning workouts are not really an option for me, I have to be at work very early, so it would be near impossible to wake up at 4am to work out, I'd have to go to sleep hours after I get home - and I still need a life. So, the best thing for me is working out in the evenings. Right now, I eat a light breakfast (small cup of oatmeal) followed by a sandwich at lunch, and usually fruit around 4pm, or 3pm. I usually bike or run after work, which is around 7-8pm - and that usually lasts until about 10:30. What I need to know is given what you've said, when would be the best time to eat dinner.. after I work out - before I go to sleep? Kind of the problem I'm having.
Eat after you work out. Eating before bed isn't necessarily a problem either, as long as you aren't over your daily allotment, and the meal isn't high in simple carbs or fat. During my last serious cut I was drinking a protein shake before bed every night, and sometimes added some non-fat cottage cheese and picante, or turkey slices. It didn't slow my progress at all because those nutrints were being used to repair muscle, not being stored.

There's nothing wrong with doing cardio in the evening, AI used to do it all the time, just don't eat PB&J right beforehand.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Eat after you work out. Eating before bed isn't necessarily a problem either, as long as you aren't over your daily allotment, and the meal isn't high in simple carbs or fat. During my last serious cut I was drinking a protein shake before bed every night, and sometimes added some non-fat cottage cheese and picante, or turkey slices. It didn't slow my progress at all because those nutrints were being used to repair muscle, not being stored.

There's nothing wrong with doing cardio in the evening, AI used to do it all the time, just don't eat PB&J right beforehand.
I also eat non-fat cottage cheese after working out some times. Just trying to adjust my schedule to achieve the best method for weight loss. I have less faith in biking as a good alternative to running, seems like I don't achieve as high of a heart rate or work my upper body much at all, which is why I've kept it as an every other day thing.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
You never go full retard

Subscribing, CJ I have a feeling you and I are similar in size.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I also eat non-fat cottage cheese after working out some times. Just trying to adjust my schedule to achieve the best method for weight loss. I have less faith in biking as a good alternative to running, seems like I don't achieve as high of a heart rate or work my upper body much at all, which is why I've kept it as an every other day thing.
Pedal harder.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
Pedal harder.
lol I think I achieved it tonight at river legacy.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Subscribing, CJ I have a feeling you and I are similar in size.
CJ could eat you. Even if CJ was in the 9-10% body fat range, I'd bet he'd weigh in at around 235-240.

CJ is a big guy.

Last edited by 03trubluGT; 01-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You don't need to maintain a 180bpm heart rate. If you can just maintain an elevated rate (in the 140's) for 30 min to an hour, you're good. The key is to do it.

Biking is great, and it's a TON better for your knees than running. Especially if you're running on a concrete trail or sidewalk. It would do better for you if you would drop some weight so you don't have the pounding on your joints. Then you can start running. The eliptical is a great alternative to runnig as well. Hell, I'm at 222 lbs and running isn't good on my 40+ year old knees. If the biking is too easy, drop a gear.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
Pedal harder.
Simplistic gold
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Lifer

CJ if you need anything dude, just lemma know.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
CJ if you need anything dude, just lemma know.
I appreciate all the encouragement. I think I'm a ways off from needing your expertise

Well, I ended up breaking my bike tonight, looks like the rear bearings went. I can't wait to go into the bike shop tomorrow, the guy's going to tell me I'm exceeding the weight limit by double I'm sure. I figured a mountain bike would be the best choice, it's harder on me because it weighs more, little tougher, and has twice the rotating weight with the large tires/wheels. I wanted to stay away from the dainty street bikes until I'm at least in the mid 200's.

Last edited by CJ; 01-26-2010 at 11:05 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
CJ could eat you. Even if CJ was in the 9-10% body fat range, I'd bet he'd weigh in at around 235-240.

CJ is a big guy.

Hopefully you're right Matt and I'll end up in that area sometime in the next year. This is a photo taken of me my freshman year of college when I was just out of football. I believe I was at about 275 in this picture. Sounds funny, but I'd be happy to be around 275 again. I believe right now I'm around 320-330lbs if I were to guess (I haven't registered on a bathroom scale since I was a freshman in highschool). I should probably get a new scale.

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Lifer

Good luck CJ and post your progress. Ive trying to get make into shape myself and its motivating to see others do well at it also

Photobucket

Best painter in Texas
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpreus View Post
Good luck CJ and post your progress. Ive trying to get make into shape myself and its motivating to see others do well at it also
I figured I'd just make a public scene and then I'd have to lose weight or face embarrassment and failure.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
lol I think I achieved it tonight at river legacy.
Let me know if you want to ride River Legacy with Slider and me some Sunday morning.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Lifer

Good luck. I'm in the same place..I weigh in the 290's, but wear size 40-42 pants and mainly XL, some XXL shirts. I've got a $250 bet that I can lose 50lbs by 6/1. I've already lost around 125lbs, so I'm pretty confident that I'll do it. I'm putting weekly weigh-ins on YouTube and it's keeping me pretty accountable and focused.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Let me know if you want to ride River Legacy with Slider and me some Sunday morning.
I think I better get a little more seasoned before I start pedaling with you guys... right now I can do about 12-14 miles with occasional inclines, but steep hills and stuff slow me down. trying to get there, I will take you up on it in a month or so though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Good luck. I'm in the same place..I weigh in the 290's, but wear size 40-42 pants and mainly XL, some XXL shirts. I've got a $250 bet that I can lose 50lbs by 6/1. I've already lost around 125lbs, so I'm pretty confident that I'll do it. I'm putting weekly weigh-ins on YouTube and it's keeping me pretty accountable and focused.
I appreciate it man, sounds like me and you are very close, 50lbs in 6 months should be a cake walk I would think. But, you've already lost 125lbs - so shit, you're well on your way. I'm older than I use to be, when I was in boxing and football, losing 10lbs in a week was easy as hell, now I'm noticing my age more. So now that i've been humbled I'm trying to keep it realistic, dieting right, etc.

Last edited by CJ; 01-26-2010 at 11:22 PM.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I think I better get a little more seasoned before I start pedaling with you guys... right now I can do about 12-14 miles with occasional inclines, but steep hills and stuff slow me down. trying to get there, I will take you up on it in a month or so though

I appreciate it man, sounds like me and you are very close, 50lbs in 6 months should be a cake walk I would think. But, you've already lost 125lbs - so shit, you're well on your way. I'm older than I use to be, when I was in boxing and football, losing 10lbs in a week was easy as hell, now I'm noticing my age more. So now that i've been humbled I'm trying to keep it realistic, dieting right, etc.
I hear you. I didn't lose the 125 over night, it took me about a year and a half. I basically hit a wall at around 280ish and have drifted back up to 296 (as of tonight), so I approached someone with the idea of the bet. I also added a follow-up weigh in date for a year later to make sure we haven't put it back on.

You should track it some how, I did my first 125 on excel using the google spreadsheet, so I could update all over the place. I tried the spreadsheet shit again and couldn't stay motivated, so Youtube it is. So far it's worked pretty nicely.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
I hear you. I didn't lose the 125 over night, it took me about a year and a half. I basically hit a wall at around 280ish and have drifted back up to 296 (as of tonight), so I approached someone with the idea of the bet. I also added a follow-up weigh in date for a year later to make sure we haven't put it back on.

You should track it some how, I did my first 125 on excel using the google spreadsheet, so I could update all over the place. I tried the spreadsheet shit again and couldn't stay motivated, so Youtube it is. So far it's worked pretty nicely.
my motivation is my wedding, haha. You do have some rocks though to put yourself up on youtube.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
my motivation is my wedding, haha. You do have some rocks though to put yourself up on youtube.
haha, thanks - I'm sure you'll make it. My main motivation is our 5 year anniversary trip to Cozumel
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
haha, thanks - I'm sure you'll make it. My main motivation is our 5 year anniversary trip to Cozumel
Haha, coincidentally that's where I'm going for my honeymoon. :O
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Hopefully you're right Matt and I'll end up in that area sometime in the next year. This is a photo taken of me my freshman year of college when I was just out of football. I believe I was at about 275 in this picture. Sounds funny, but I'd be happy to be around 275 again. I believe right now I'm around 320-330lbs if I were to guess (I haven't registered on a bathroom scale since I was a freshman in highschool). I should probably get a new scale.

I take it you were a lineman? Those guys aren't know for being really lean.

You don't look 275 in that pic, but you are very broad.

I need to get my pics up in the transformation thread to get some motivation going.. I made mini burgers on the grill and steak fries for dinner last night. Sometimes you just crave crap food! It as all good though, we had fresh pineapple for dessert!
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Can I go with? I really need to go diving.... The water down there is BEAUTIFUL!
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
When are you going? 6/7-14th for us.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
The first, the original

I began Dec 11th starting at 275. As of this morning I am at 264. Seems like I should have lost more, but that is making it through all the holidays and a couple of birthdays. My diet changed drastically, but I still get to eat well.

no colas
no alcohol
Cut back on coffee. 3 cups a week down from 7
more water, tea
most all beef and pork replaced with turkey, lean chicken, fish
nothing fried
whole grain bread
baked Tostitos (just couldn't give up chips and salsa. No real reason to)
Big cut in sodium and sugar intake

Its not that I have decided to never have these things again, I'm just not having them now or very very seldom. I've had 3 beer and maybe 4 colas.

I am the gym 5-6 days a week mostly doing cardio/fat burn but a good bit of muscle building. Mostly core. Still got a lot to go to lose my belly and moobs. I want to step things up a bit and burn more though somehow. Right now my short term goal is 258. If I get there, it will be the lowest I have weight in 8 years.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I began Dec 11th starting at 275. As of this morning I am at 264. Seems like I should have lost more, but that is making it through all the holidays and a couple of birthdays. My diet changed drastically, but I still get to eat well.

no colas
no alcohol
more water, tea
nothing fried
whole grain bread

Its not that I have decided to never have these things again, I'm just not having them now or very very seldom. I've had 3 beer and maybe 4 colas.

I am the gym 5-6 days a week mostly doing cardio/fat burn but a good bit of muscle building. Mostly core. Still got a lot to go to lose my belly and moobs. I want to step things up a bit and burn more though somehow. Right now my short term goal is 258. If I get there, it will be the lowest I have weight in 8 years.
If you drink tea, try the decaf stuff. Tea can dehydrate you.

The chips contain a lot of sodium, so beware.

Just FYI.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
I take it you were a lineman? Those guys aren't know for being really lean.

You don't look 275 in that pic, but you are very broad.

I need to get my pics up in the transformation thread to get some motivation going.. I made mini burgers on the grill and steak fries for dinner last night. Sometimes you just crave crap food! It as all good though, we had fresh pineapple for dessert!
Believe it or not I was 275 in that picture, possibly more. I played defensive tackle for 9 years. I've been keeping my eyes on the transformation thread.

Speaking of which, I have a pineapple that needs to be cut.. is there some trick to getting the most out of these things, or do you just run a knife down the sides and slice it up?

Last edited by CJ; 01-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
When are you going? 6/7-14th for us.
oh, just missing us by a week...damn. 5/31-6/6
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Believe it or not I was 275 in that picture, possibly more. I played defensive tackle for 9 years. I've been keeping my eyes on the transformation thread.

Speaking of which, I have a pineapple that needs to be cut.. is there some trick to getting the most out of these things, or do you just run a knife down the sides and slice it up?
Just cut it in slices. If you have a nice cerrated knife it's pretty easy. I usually leave the crust on it, because it can be a pain in the ass cutting each off. It's almost like eating a pizza slice, without eating the crust.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:

I lay it on it's side and cut it into about 1" slices, and then take each slice and cut off the outside skin. Then I cut it into chunks while eliminating the core.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Thats against the law Man

Quote:
...Speaking of which, I have a pineapple that needs to be cut.. is there some trick to getting the most out of these things, or do you just run a knife down the sides and slice it up?
Get you one of these - http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001215.php My wife got one from Pampered Chef, and that things works great.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Thats against the law Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

no colas
no alcohol
more water, tea
nothing fried
whole grain bread

Speaking of tea....I dicovered the Crystal Light Teas a few months back, man those are great...no sugar or Caffeine and they taste great. I use a Thermos water bottle that I bought at Walmart...just add one of those pouches to some ice and water and shake it up. The lemonaid, limeaid, etc. is also very good and not bad for you. I've pretty much entirely replaced Sodas with these things.

Now if I could just find something to replace the beer.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement