Diet Help - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
Diet Help

I dont seem to be losing the weight like I thought I would considering how much of a lifestyle change I have made over the past 3 weeks. I'm down anywhere from 5-7lbs. Thats with cutting out soda completely. Going to bed earlier, getting more sleep and no late night snacking anymore. Actually eating 3 meals a day with a snack in between (usually 1/2 an orange) and working out 6 times a week.

I do lifting Monday-Wend-Friday (30 minutes warmup cardio, 10 minutes cool down cardio)
I do 60 minutes of cardio tues-thurs-sat

I am consuming anywhere from 1500-2000 calories a day i believe depending on what I have with my lunch.

Breakfast is Usually 1/2 a banana and a measured out cup of cereal and cup of milk (330 calories for all of it).

Lunch is Usually a sandwhich on whole grain bread, with either smoked turkey or smoked ham, 1 slice of cheese, and mustard. And either a salad or some soup with lunch.

Snack 1/2 an orange

Dinner. 3-4oz of chicken, 1 cup of steamed rice, 1 portion of vegetables and a salad with a light oil and vinegar dressing.

I drink water and crystal light all day.

Its just frustrating that I changed my life so much and the weight isnt exactly coming off like I thought it would. Last night after my cardio night I weighed right at 199.2 Today when I got up (this was after eating dinner last night and rehydrating and no BM) I weight 202.

Am I doing something wrong diet wise, or am I just not being patient enough.
Counterfiend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
So you are losing 2 lbs of weight a week? That's what you should be doing. It took many years to add all that weight on, you can't expect it to all melt away overnight. Anything more than 2-3 lbs of weight lost a week is going to be considered extreme and unhealthy. Just keep doing what you are doing, and don't weigh yourself every day. Do it once a week.

As far as your diet is concerned, it looks fine. You may considere going to a 5 - 6 meal a day plan to boost your metabolism, but it sounds like what you are doing is working, you just have to be patient. Also, any weight training while in a caloric deficit isn't going to be helping much (building muscle, or losing weight). I would concentrate on cardio only until you get to the weight you want, then add some weight training.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
So you are losing 2 lbs of weight a week? That's what you should be doing. It took many years to add all that weight on, you can't expect it to all melt away overnight. Anything more than 2-3 lbs of weight lost a week is going to be considered extreme and unhealthy. Just keep doing what you are doing, and don't weigh yourself every day. Do it once a week.

As far as your diet is concerned, it looks fine. You may considere going to a 5 - 6 meal a day plan to boost your metabolism, but it sounds like what you are doing is working, you just have to be patient. Also, any weight training while in a caloric deficit isn't going to be helping much (building muscle, or losing weight). I would concentrate on cardio only until you get to the weight you want, then add some weight training.
solid advice

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
But if I add muscle don't I burn more fat?
My lifting is the 5x5
A Day
Squat 5 sets of 5
Bench 5 sets of 5
Pullup of sorts (heals on the ground pulling my body up to a bar like the squat bar set lower) 3 sets of as many as i can do
Pushups - 3 sets of as many as i can do
Reverse crunches 3 sets of 12

B Day
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin- ups - 3 sets of as many as I can do
Plank 3 sets 30 seconds each

And each day I'm doing extra cardio on top of that. On an average week with warmup cool down and my cario days im doing a little over 5 hours of cardio. With my lifting only taking 30 minutes. So, im not trying to bulk up yet, just trying to do lifting 3 days a week. And each time you do a weighted workout you add 5lbs total. So it progressivly goes up.
Counterfiend is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
The land of no ho racing
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 655
you need to eat better breakfast. when you body doesnt get the nutrients that it needs it will pack weight round the gut. that is why you see people that have a fat gut and the rest of them sskinny. Eat a high fiber breakfast. I highly recommend Kashi cereal, taste great and gives you alot of nutrients that you need for the day. high fiberous stuff like that willclean you shitter out cutting a few inches. Also take a multi vitamin a good one. your going to have to eat more to burn the fat. do as much cardio as possible. your body is just going to eat the muscle away if you dont feed it properly. 2-3 lbs a week is perfect for loosing weight. you could take a thermogenic like bsn atro-phex is prolly the best right now. good luck.
AllStockRacer is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
But if I add muscle don't I burn more fat?
My lifting is the 5x5
A Day
Squat 5 sets of 5
Bench 5 sets of 5
Pullup of sorts (heals on the ground pulling my body up to a bar like the squat bar set lower) 3 sets of as many as i can do
Pushups - 3 sets of as many as i can do
Reverse crunches 3 sets of 12

B Day
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin- ups - 3 sets of as many as I can do
Plank 3 sets 30 seconds each

And each day I'm doing extra cardio on top of that. On an average week with warmup cool down and my cario days im doing a little over 5 hours of cardio. With my lifting only taking 30 minutes. So, im not trying to bulk up yet, just trying to do lifting 3 days a week. And each time you do a weighted workout you add 5lbs total. So it progressivly goes up.

The science behind adding muscle is that you have to be consuming more calories than you normally would burn in a day, or a "calorie surplus". Here's a quote from a great book titled Burn the fat, feed the Muscle

Quote:
It’s physiologically impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same moment in time. You can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit and you can't lose fat in a calorie surplus, it's that simple.

The most efficient method of improving body composition is to put 100% focus on your single most important goal; losing fat or gaining muscle – one or the other. If you have above average amounts of body fat, then your number one goal should be to focus on losing fat first. Then, once the fat is off, you can re-write your goals and work on gaining muscle while maintaining your new, lower body fat level.
Here's a link to the book, download it, read it (or at least read the first 6 chapters) and you'll have a much better knowledge on why most diets don't work, and why extreme dieting is not only unsafe, but counter productive.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F49LQ3XN

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
So im basically wasting time lifting the bit I am during the week? I still do 40 minutes of cardio on lifting days, and my lifting isnt crazy I guess its just "toning" right now rather then building muscle?
Counterfiend is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
So im basically wasting time lifting the bit I am during the week? I still do 40 minutes of cardio on lifting days, and my lifting isnt crazy I guess its just "toning" right now rather then building muscle?
It will help some, since you are burning some calories, but the time you spend weight lifting could be better spent doing cardio (if your main goal is to lose weight). 60 minutes of cardio 5 - 7 days a week would work much better to burn the fat.

Once you reach your target, you can then start working some weight lifting into your routine... but if you want to build muscle, you will have to modify your diet from a calorie deficit, to a calorie surplus.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
See thats the kind of info I need. So I can keep doing the 65-70 minutes on cardio days, and maybe bump up my cardio on lifting days to 50-60 minutes and be better off?
I do my lifting like circuit training, I gave myself max 30 seconds break between sets and workouts to keep my heart rate up. Cause I do my 30 minutes of cardio to get my heart rate somewhere around 150-160, then go start my lifting.
Counterfiend is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
See thats the kind of info I need. So I can keep doing the 65-70 minutes on cardio days, and maybe bump up my cardio on lifting days to 50-60 minutes and be better off?
I do my lifting like circuit training, I gave myself max 30 seconds break between sets and workouts to keep my heart rate up. Cause I do my 30 minutes of cardio to get my heart rate somewhere around 150-160, then go start my lifting.
The lifting is definately not going to hurt your weight loss, but the time you spend lifting could be better spent just doing cardio until you get your weight to the level you want.

If you want to continue lifting, go for it, just realize that it's not really building any muscle, so don't expect big gains in that departement.

Also, make sure you get plenty of rest. Doing cardio 5 - 7 times a week for 60 minutes is going to require you to sleep 7 - 8 hours a night to allow your muscles to recover. Don't skip any meals, make sure you get plenty of protein, and TONS of water (like 128 oz a day if you are over 200 lbs).

Really I recommend you read the book, it has great advice, tips, etc. It will give you a solid base to lose the weight you want, and then build the muscle once you have achieved the weight loss.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Your weight regiment sucks. Like I said in another recent thread, if you can do the same amount of reps on your last set that you did on your first, you're doing something wrong. 5 reps BTW?

Try something more like this.

Monday:
Bench
Pull-up(or similar workout)
Chest Fly
Hang Clean
Incline
Reverse Fly
Decline
Seated Row

Wednesday:
Bicep Curl(I usually stand up, do a set of 15 @ 45lbs, 10 @ 65lbs, and 5 @85lbs, then work your way back down to 45lbs. So 15, 10, 5, 10, 15.) I use curl bars.)
Skull Crushers
Preacher Curl, when you extend your arms down, go slowly
Dips

You might want to throw in some hammer curls, and another tricep workout if you want. This is literally all I do for my arms. Just rep the shit out of every set.

Friday:
Squat
Military Press
Toe Raise
Dumbbell front lifts (Not a lot of weight needed, remember, your shoulders are also the home to more than muscles. I usually use 20-25lbs dumbbells.)
Leg Extensions
Dumbbell side lifts (Same as front lifts)
Hamstring Curls

Remember, the key is not how long you're in the gym, it's what you do while you're there. If you use your time wisely, you can get a great resistance work out in 30-40 minutes. These might take you an hour or so. I lift mon-fri and do cardio the same, so I've kinda combined my routine days together to fit your 3-day lift schedule. I spend about 5-10 minutes on abs a day depending on how much I feel like doing them.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
I appreciate all the information. Its just alot to take in at this point. I have only been back into working out for about 2 1/2 weeks. And I guess it does make sense for me to just get to the weight I want then try and build the muscle considering my diet is geared towards 1 thing and not both.
I'm basically trying to live at a caloric deficit of 800-1000 on days I work for the amount of calories i burn when I work out. And on my 1 day off I try and eat less then I burn naturally.
All I know is I wanna be in shape for not only me, but for my engagement photo's, and the wedding and honeymoon on the beach.

Just really wish there was someone in coppell that worked out where I do so I could have some advice on site.
Counterfiend is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Lifer
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: longview, tx
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
I appreciate all the information. Its just alot to take in at this point. I have only been back into working out for about 2 1/2 weeks. And I guess it does make sense for me to just get to the weight I want then try and build the muscle considering my diet is geared towards 1 thing and not both.
I'm basically trying to live at a caloric deficit of 800-1000 on days I work for the amount of calories i burn when I work out. And on my 1 day off I try and eat less then I burn naturally.
All I know is I wanna be in shape for not only me, but for my engagement photo's, and the wedding and honeymoon on the beach.

Just really wish there was someone in coppell that worked out where I do so I could have some advice on site.
i hear ya on that last part. feel the same here in longview..

Shaun is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
I appreciate all the information. Its just alot to take in at this point. I have only been back into working out for about 2 1/2 weeks. And I guess it does make sense for me to just get to the weight I want then try and build the muscle considering my diet is geared towards 1 thing and not both.
I'm basically trying to live at a caloric deficit of 800-1000 on days I work for the amount of calories i burn when I work out. And on my 1 day off I try and eat less then I burn naturally.
All I know is I wanna be in shape for not only me, but for my engagement photo's, and the wedding and honeymoon on the beach.

Just really wish there was someone in coppell that worked out where I do so I could have some advice on site.
If you take in a 1000 calories a day, you don't have to try and burn a 1000 calories running or whatever. Your body is typically going to burn anywhere from 1-2000 calories on it's own, just to keep your body functioning each day.

Just because you're not losing 10+lbs like the people on biggest loser doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. If you lose 1-2lbs a week, be happy knowing that you're doing it healthily. You know how on the show it shows them working out right before weigh in? It's because they're cutting, and a lot of they're weight they've lost is water weight. Plus, you have to keep in mind that they're literally working out 5-6 hours a day and under a VERY strict diet regiment that most of us with jobs don't have access to.

Basically, don't be so hard on yourself. If you're losing weight, be happy, and keep it up. Your weight regiment does suck though.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
Oh i know the average body burns 1000-2000 calories a day. But im trying to eat enough to satisfy my appetite and keep me full most of the day, and I dont feel like im really cheating myself. But I want to be as much of a caloric deficit every day that I can so help me cut the weight faster. I know I should be happy with 1-2lbs a week. I'm just impatient. Heh.
Counterfiend is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Great thread.

I love the question because it is the same one I had/have, I already knew the answer because I downloaded the book last time (haven't read it all), and I still get frustrated and impatient. I don't know why, but it is nice to know I am not the only person that hates watching it go 1 or 2 lbs at a time...

For football in high school we lifted weights 4 days a week so when I go to the gym I am drawn towards the free-weights. The problem is my goal is to lose weight and gain muscle, and I continually forget the idea that you can't effectively do both at the same time.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
i did this last year, was eating less than 1500 carlories a day and my main workout was cardio. I lifted weights but mainly just to be doing something besides running all the damn time. Was more worried about losing the big gut i had so i didn't really care if i couldn't tell i was lifting weights. Parents said they could tell, like i didn't have a little bird chest anymore lol


anyways, this time around i'm more interested in gaining muscle but if my gut hasn't started coming off (not really that much to lose) any by march, i'll hit the cardio again



and poopnut- what do you call it then if somebody is using the same weight for all their reps?
bert89coupe is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
Don't stop lifting weights!!! While it's true you are not going to bulk up on a restricted calorie diet, you will burn more fat lifting and doing cardio, then just one or the other.

Cardiovascular exercises will raise muscle metabolism during the activity and for a short time after the exercise session. Weight training, on the other hand, will raise your muscle metabolism during the exercise session -- and for a long time after the exercise session.
UserX is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
I'm also gonna say DO NOT STOP LIFTING. There is a significant amount of bad advice in this thread.

People are correct in saying that you will not be gaining muscle while in a calorie deficit. HOWEVER, when losing weight you lose both fat (bad weight) and muscle (good weight). By continuing to lift, you will insure that you lose a higher proportion of bad weight and a lower proportion of good weight. You are NOT wasting your time lifting. If you stop lifting you will continue to lose muscle and as you continue to lose muscle your metabolism will slow down making harder and harder to continue to lose weight as you progress.
exlude is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
So should i change my workout routine to lifting MORE weight and just keeping with my cardio?
Like tonight I did an elliptical machine for 60 minutes, and measured of 955 calories burned. And that was on a pure cardio night. On lifting nights I do 30 minutes at that rate, and 10 minutes cool down with lifting in between. I can lift for an extra 10-20 minutes working in several more. Would you recommend that, or stick with that im doing?
Counterfiend is offline  
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 AM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
I think your weight regimen is a pretty decent one for a beginner, but I would change a few things.

What I would aim for you is to stimulate all the muscle groups just enough to remind your body, "hey I need these, let's keep them." Now, I love the 5x5 sets personally, but I think you could do better for your goal. Drop the weight a little, up the reps (10 or so would be good for you) and up the intensity. Keep your rest to a minimum between sets and get your heart rate up while lifting. That way you are still engaging all those muscles that you don't use while doing cardio and getting your heart really pumpin at the same time.
exlude is offline  
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
Well for the 5x5 I do a total of 25 reps per weighted exercise. The everyone else is as many as I can for 3 sets until I fail.

And I give myself 15-30 seconds between reps and workouts to try and keep my heart rate up.
Counterfiend is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
Well for the 5x5 I do a total of 25 reps per weighted exercise. The everyone else is as many as I can for 3 sets until I fail.

And I give myself 15-30 seconds between reps and workouts to try and keep my heart rate up.
Yes and I'm saying do a 5x10 with lighter weight, that's more tailored to your goal.
exlude is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
The scale just spits out a number...dont take it to seriously. You will see more fluctuation day to day with the amount of water you drink a day.

Like many have said, keep working out. Your body will try and burn muscle before fat when you dont exercise your whole body. During glycolysis, it takes less steps and is is much easier for the body to burn proteins (stored as muscle) than it is fat. This is where working out the whole body comes in. When your body works out, it realizes it cannot release stored proteins in the muscle for energy and that is must use fat. The body is lazy and will burn the easiest stored calories it can.

What are you doing for cardio? I bet you need to slow down and keep your heart rate down. When your heart rate increases, your body turns your exercise into an anaerobic exercise and does not have enough oxygen to burn fat. When this happens, the body will start to burn glycogen that is stored in the liver for instances like this. Glycogen is a simple storage of sugar molecules used in "emergency" situations. You dont want to get into your glycogen storage. You can have have a few hundred calories (400ish) of stored glycogen. Thats a lot of calories to burn before your body will start burning fat. Try a slower paced exercise like a stair mill, or walking briskly on the treadmill. I try to keep my heart rate at 135-145bpm, so I walk at 3.5mph at a 3.0 incline.

Also, try and do 6 meals. Keep the metabolism up. Dont let you body worry about when the next meal is. You right on track for 2lbs of weight loss a week and that is GREAT. Hopefully you are losing fat, not weight. There is a tremendous difference. With working out, you are keeping your muscle and losing fat. If you really want to see the scale go down, dont drink much for fluids...its not good for you, but you will see the number go down.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
There's some good advice in here in terms of diet, and some HORRIBLE advice as well. Weight training is NOT counter-productive when dieting, and is necessary to keep muscle atrophy to a minimum. You aren't necessarily gonna grow any, but you will shrink if you don't train. At the end of my last serious diet I got into single-digit bodyfat before strength began to drop. Weight training stimulates natural test production whereas cardio doesn't.

You are absolutely right that more muscle burns more calories throughout the day, which is why you should continue the weight training.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
What are you doing for cardio? I bet you need to slow down and keep your heart rate down. When your heart rate increases, your body turns your exercise into an anaerobic exercise and does not have enough oxygen to burn fat. When this happens, the body will start to burn glycogen that is stored in the liver for instances like this. Glycogen is a simple storage of sugar molecules used in "emergency" situations. You dont want to get into your glycogen storage. You can have have a few hundred calories (400ish) of stored glycogen. Thats a lot of calories to burn before your body will start burning fat. Try a slower paced exercise like a stair mill, or walking briskly on the treadmill. I try to keep my heart rate at 135-145bpm, so I walk at 3.5mph at a 3.0 incline.
I agree with just about everything else in your post except for the "fat burning zone" part, there have been a lot of articles written debunking the fat burning zone.

First, it's true, you burn a higher percentage of fat than carbs while working out at low intensity. However, those carbs you don't burn will simply be turned into fat at a later point in time. Point being, fat and carbs are essentially the same pot of caloric energy when it comes down to it, they are just at different states in the body. You need to focus on total caloric output, not if you are burning fat vs. carb calories.

Second, the total amount of fat burned (over the same amount of time) will be almost the same in low vs. high intensity workouts, with much more total calories being burned in the high intensity workout. Low intensity workouts can take up to double the amount of time to burn the same amount of calories as a moderate to high intensity workout.

Third, aerobic training does very little to nothing to preserve the muscle. Yes, this can be offset by weight training, but 1lb of muscle can burn somewhere in the realm of 50 calories a day just by existing and maintaining, so why not do all we can to preserve what we/he has?

I'm not saying you need to end your workout barely being able to scrape yourself off the treadmill, but you need to be doing a little more than walking. There's no great, ripped athlete out there that got to that single digit body fat % by walking quickly.

Some articles that may have worded it better than me:
http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources..._zone_myth.asp
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...rning-Zone.htm
exlude is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
When you have to burn an extra 400 calories (4 miles on a treadmill) to burn your glycogen before stored calories...it's a beating.

In that first link, it shows that you burn MORE fat in the same 45 min workout. Id rather eat just a little less per meal and do lower intensity cardio. Most people cannot run 4-5 miles to get 45 min of moderate to high intensity cardio. Yes, the calories burned is higher, but more diet, easier exercise (especially in the beginning stages) seems much easier.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
When you have to burn an extra 400 calories (4 miles on a treadmill) to burn your glycogen before stored calories...it's a beating.
It's not that simple is what I'm saying. By burning 400 glucose calories from glycogen, you are allowing more of your blood borne glucose to go into restoring that glycogen deficit as well as training your glycogen stores to hold more. This prevents 400 calories worth of blood borne glucose from being stored in fat cells. At the same time, you are burning fat and carbohydrates from fat cells (you don't have to completely exhaust your glycogen stores to do this, it will happen concurrently at a rate of about 35% fat stores to 65% glycogen stores and blood borne glucose.)

And since you are burning far more calories in a moderate to high intensity workout, you will be burning about the same amount of actual fat (in grams) and far more glycogen and blood borne glucose leaving you with a greater caloric deficit at the end of the day/week/month and losing more bad weight overall. At the same time, you are taxing the muscles requiring them to draw more carbohydrates and proteins from the body to rebuild and maintain themselves. This leads to greater calorie expenditure after the workout.
exlude is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
In that first link, it shows that you burn MORE fat in the same 45 min workout. Id rather eat just a little less per meal and do lower intensity cardio. Most people cannot run 4-5 miles to get 45 min of moderate to high intensity cardio. Yes, the calories burned is higher, but more diet, easier exercise (especially in the beginning stages) seems much easier.
True, it is easier. But if getting in shape was easy, America wouldn't have a 65% overweight population.

Fact of the matter is, moderate to high intensity cardio is never easy no matter how great of shape you are in. It's about the same no matter what level of fitness you are simply because the more in shape you are, the more intense the actual workout is to get the same heart rate and muscle taxation. The OP already seems to be past the stage of needing to ease into his cardio, so if he has found a moderate cardio level that works for him, I see no reason for him to slow it down.

I agree, though, diet should absolutely be a primary focus as the change in that lifestyle is going to be what makes the most drastic, starting changes.
exlude is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 274
I understand the whole not running not being as good as running, but I do the "fast walk" at a pretty steep incline for 60 minutes at a time. 11-15 degree's for 60 minutes so I'm working harder to keep the speed since I'm walking uphill basically. But I discovered the elliptical and I honestly love it. Did 60 minutes today, kept my heartrate from 155-172 for 60 minutes and the machine said 1005 calories burned. I know the machines arent exactly but I know it was a big # for the time I spent. And that was at 7+ MPH the whole time. So im trying to concentrate more on the middle to high intensity workout.
Today was a lift day and I did the 60 minutes of cardio and I was pretty beat after, I could hardly get myself to lift. Maybe I should lift before I do my cardio so I have that energy to lift then drain myself on cardio?

And is there a possibility that I could be on caloric starvation? I was eating well in excess of 3k calories a day when I wasnt eating right, lots of sugar from soda and what not. And now on an average day I'm doing 1500-1700 most of it what I think is clean eating. Just not sure if my body is holding on to more because it such a HUGE change in calories im taking in?
Counterfiend is offline  
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfiend View Post
I understand the whole not running not being as good as running, but I do the "fast walk" at a pretty steep incline for 60 minutes at a time. 11-15 degree's for 60 minutes so I'm working harder to keep the speed since I'm walking uphill basically. But I discovered the elliptical and I honestly love it. Did 60 minutes today, kept my heartrate from 155-172 for 60 minutes and the machine said 1005 calories burned. I know the machines arent exactly but I know it was a big # for the time I spent. And that was at 7+ MPH the whole time. So im trying to concentrate more on the middle to high intensity workout.
Today was a lift day and I did the 60 minutes of cardio and I was pretty beat after, I could hardly get myself to lift. Maybe I should lift before I do my cardio so I have that energy to lift then drain myself on cardio?

And is there a possibility that I could be on caloric starvation? I was eating well in excess of 3k calories a day when I wasnt eating right, lots of sugar from soda and what not. And now on an average day I'm doing 1500-1700 most of it what I think is clean eating. Just not sure if my body is holding on to more because it such a HUGE change in calories im taking in?
Starting out, a fast walk might be all you need to get yourself into the moderate to high intensity level. It really just depends on your personal level of fitness. But good for you for slowly elevating it. Find out what works for you, personally, and go with it. When you feel it's getting too easy and/or you can't get your heart rate up to where you used to, take it up another notch. It's not something that can be prescribed over the internet, really.

I prefer to lift before cardio for the reasons you described. I do this on the theory that if I use up my blood sugars during cardio, I won't be able to lift as much and get less of a workout. If I use up my blood sugars lifting, I will still be able to run and get my heart rate up. I might not be able to run as fast, but I will be able to get my heart rate to the same level.

My lifting day routine is to walk in the gym, do 5 mins of warm up (5.0 jog or jump rope or something), some dynamic stretching (no static stretching), hit the weights for about 90-120 minutes, then run/bike for 20-30 minutes depending on how fast I want to go.

I hate cardio so I try to mix up my runs. Some days I'll do interval, some days I'll push myself, some days I'll just jog it out. And I pick which one just based on how I feel, but I always stick to at least 20 minutes.
exlude is offline  
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
They key to cardio is doing what you can, and more importantly will do. Walking on an incline for an hour a few time per week is much better for you than running for 5 minutes twice and quiting because your lungs and legs hurt. Do what you are just barely comfortable with doing for the 45 minutes to an hour that you want, and have the mind fram of increasing that intensity as your body allows. Granted, if you don't increase your intensity to the point of getting your heart rate high enough, than you won't be burning bodyfat.

Look at it like any other exercise. You don't hit up the gym the first time and expect to rep 405, you've gotta gradually work up to it, both mentally and physically.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
It's not that simple is what I'm saying. By burning 400 glucose calories from glycogen, you are allowing more of your blood borne glucose to go into restoring that glycogen deficit as well as training your glycogen stores to hold more. This prevents 400 calories worth of blood borne glucose from being stored in fat cells. At the same time, you are burning fat and carbohydrates from fat cells (you don't have to completely exhaust your glycogen stores to do this, it will happen concurrently at a rate of about 35% fat stores to 65% glycogen stores and blood borne glucose.)

And since you are burning far more calories in a moderate to high intensity workout, you will be burning about the same amount of actual fat (in grams) and far more glycogen and blood borne glucose leaving you with a greater caloric deficit at the end of the day/week/month and losing more bad weight overall. At the same time, you are taxing the muscles requiring them to draw more carbohydrates and proteins from the body to rebuild and maintain themselves. This leads to greater calorie expenditure after the workout.
Just food for thought...your blood glucose should be knocked down within an hour or so after a meal. Your normal living glucose levels should be under 100. The glucose in the blood is quickly grabbed by insulin to store. It is easier to turn blood glucose into glycogen but it cant always happen that way or you will become hypoglycemic. Your body will start to break down the easiest material to start storing glycogen again. Its a trade off game.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome