chicken and rice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

chicken and rice

trying to change what i eat, i'm eating turkey sandwhichs for lunch typically, just turkey and wheat.. trying to find a simple boiled chicken and rice recipe that isn't so bland, i can't do plain white rice apparently... thought about just cooking it and putting a lil soy sauce in there and moving on but figured i'd ask, google search isn't providing anything to enticing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Time Served

Well boiled chicken will be horrible. Just grill it, or bake it. Then do regular white rice, and you can make a very low calorie salsa to put in with the rice and chicken to give it some flavor, and all salsa is is some veggies and spices.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Packin' up...

I'm my opinion your taste buds would be a lot more accepting if you used a george foreman on the chicken. No matter what you throw into the water when boiling, it's not going to taste so well.

With the rice, get yourself a small steamer. Rice does not come out right when you try to fry a fresh batch. Quickest way is to steam the rice then lay it out on a flat sheet and put it in the fridge over night... seems to keep the moisture inside the rice so when you cook it, it doesn't get mushy.

Pam is a good alternative to oil, so Pam the pan and throw in some chopped fresh garlic. Cook that till it turns brown and toss in your rice. From there you can add whatever you'd like really. Broccoli, bell peppers, onions, scrambled egg whites, etc.

I usually season the rice with some black pepper, garlic powder, and then some low sodium soy sauce. I haven't looked into healthy tariaki(sp?) sauces, but that'd be great to throw in.

There should be lots of recipes out there for asian type of friend rice, but the above is something simple. It'll taste good once you start making it and determine it needs more of this or that.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
WTF is Zed?

I just add shit loads of salsa to mine... does wonders for flavor.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

unfortunately i have no clue where my foreman went, i would use the grill outside but out of propane, i typically boil the chicken with some seasoning and pollo flavoring, sometimes a lil taco mix seasoning.. then brown it in a pan lightly coated with pam.. it usually tastes alright.. the rice is my main obstacle.. i'm not a big vegetable fan unfortunately.. for some reason when i eat carrots and such i wanna gag...even if i'm craving them...dunno why but trying to force myself passed that...maybe its the texture.. same for salads, i crave them but when i try to eat it, its like chewing a wet sock...

normally i wouldn't admit this stupid crap but i'm getting real serious about losing weight.. so if you don't have a solution to help, move on PLEASE... i really don't need a hassle..

and THANKS big time to those already posting ideas...

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Packin' up...

Have you been to a hibachi type of restaurant? They really don't put veggies in their rice, but it still has some kickass flavor. Using healthier seasonings would produce a similar product.

As an alternative to the vegetables you could try out the V8 fusion drinks. I haven't tried one personally, just keep seeing the ads.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Time Served

I take a frozen chicken breast and put it in the bottom of a pan with my choice of seasoning (Lemon-Pepper, Montreal, Teriyaki, etc...) and bake it for 1hr @ 400 degrees.

The chicken comes out fantastic with good flavor and very little mess to clean up. It will sometimes have a little bit of a "skin" where the moisture has formed a bit of a layer as it cooks, but it slides off the chicken breast almost by itself and leaves a well-seasoned, nutritious meal.

I'll cook about 1.5 cups of rice in my rice steamer, and use just a little Soy Sauce to flavor it.

I've also taken the thawed chicken and cut it into cubes and sauteed it with Soy Sauce. Steam up some rice and broccoli, and you've got a pretty great meal.

- BigJason
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
The first, the original

I love our Foreman. I didn't realize how much drains off chicken breasts. The kind of rice you use makes a big difference. Just because its white doesn't make them all the same. There is also saffron or brown rice. Brown rice seems to take a lot longer to cook.

They have these steamable veggie bags you can do and toss that in as a side
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

got some chicken baking in the oven right now.. i actually have liked brown rice the last couple times i tried it out.. i make a mean chicken fried rice but i don't think its very healthy, its shogun style so its got butter, lots of soy sauce, fried eggs, even though i don't use oil to fry eggs, i just cook them on an electric skillet with a lil pam..

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Another vote here for the foreman grill. then boil some brown rice, and boil peas and carrots. Mix them together and its a quick meal. This is Big Matts receipt btw.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

the baked chicken came out pretty good, just real dry.. thanks again for the suggestions, will be trying them all..

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin View Post
the baked chicken came out pretty good, just real dry.. thanks again for the suggestions, will be trying them all..
If it was real dry, you overcooked it. Back the cook time down by 5-7 minutes, and ck the temperature to make sure it's hit 165. It's a fine line with chicken, though. Too long, it dries out. Not long enough, and hello food poisoning.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Lifer

I am going to be making chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes for dinner. I am going to steam the broccoli, and cauliflower. I am cooking the chicken in a pan with chicken broth as the base. I got the Fat free and low sodium one. Then I will be adding a can of diced tomatoes once the chicken gets almost done. Ill add the broccoli and cauliflower in there when its almost done. I most likely will leave them still a little crunchy. Then I am making a cup of brown rice.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM
The first, the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
If it was real dry, you overcooked it. Back the cook time down by 5-7 minutes, and ck the temperature to make sure it's hit 165. It's a fine line with chicken, though. Too long, it dries out. Not long enough, and hello food poisoning.
Yeah, but the Salmonella Diet gets results fast!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Lifer

This took me about 15 minutes to cook.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 PM
CHAMPION

Grill a bunch of chicken with some cavenders seasoning(or whatever u like) on it at the beginnning of the week. Leave 1-2 for that day and the next day in the fridge to take to work and freeze the rest for the later days in the week. They will stay good to get you through a week. Use to do this in college with a buddy so you wasnt cooking EVERY evening if you had a busy scehdule

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Texas Rangers #1

They sell some 1 minute rice things in the rice aisle that are super easy to make, no need to add any water/salt/oil just pop it in the microwave for a minute and you are done. I take these to work ocasionally with some Ranch Style Beans for a good high protein meal, you do have to watch the sodium though with most canned beans (if you are keeping an eye on that).

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95snake View Post
This took me about 15 minutes to cook.
That looks fucking disgusting.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Time Served

Location: Pushing shakes and burgers to the hungry people of Denton, Tx
Brown rice > white rice. Salsa verde in the white can is AWESOME with it!!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 AM
not exclude

Why are you deadset on including rice? Grains aren't particularly good for you.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

never said i was "deadset" on anything, thats why i'm learning. so brown rice isn't a good idea? from what i've read elsewhere, its fine as long as the portion is kept under control.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
They sell some 1 minute rice things in the rice aisle that are super easy to make, no need to add any water/salt/oil just pop it in the microwave for a minute and you are done. I take these to work ocasionally with some Ranch Style Beans for a good high protein meal, you do have to watch the sodium though with most canned beans (if you are keeping an eye on that).
Are you talking about the yellow packs? They also do have a lot of sodium
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Why are you deadset on including rice? Grains aren't particularly good for you.
Yeah, just ask any asian who is 100 years old and still active!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
wanna talk about a LOT of sodium? i picked up this "lunchables" turkey and cheddar thing i was gonna eat for lunch... 1100mg of sodium

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
The ones I was talking about look like this:

170 cals per serving, 175 mg of Sodium

add half a cup fo Van Camp's Beanie Weenies

120 cals, 660 mg of sodium 10 g of Protein

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

yup i got me some of those, problem now is i'm actually not getting close enough to a good calorie range the last couple days after adding everything up. I've only eaten about 647 calories overall :/

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Time Served

heres a recipe i use a lot.

picante chicken

1 pkg chicken breasts
1 jar pace picante sauce(i dont like this for dipping but its good in this recpie)
grated cheese(1 cup or however much you can stand)

preheat oven to 350 degrees
season chicken breasts i like red pepper and garlic, greek seasoning, and tonys
poor entire jar of picante sauce over chicken
cook chicken for 20 min.
pull chicken cover w/grated cz
put chicken back in for 20 more min.

i usually serve the frozen veggies that you steam in the bag w/the meal.

just my .02

corey

1993 coupe
machine works built 306
black on black
5spd.

"What ever is the hardest, takes the longest, and makes me the maddest...thats what I want to do."
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Hot sauce/chipotle Tabasco does it for me.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
The Uncle Bens in the orange back actually isn't bad at all on the sodium. For white rice, that is... You start getting in to te flavored ones, is when the sodium skyrockets.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Another good choice is the Healthy Choice "Fresh Mixers"

I have a Sesame Teriyaki Chicken (rice with white meat chicken in teriyaki sauce).

380 cals 6g fat 13g protein 600 mg sodium

It microwaves in 5 minutes, and it's pretty tasty. I've also tried the Sweet and Sour Chicken the Rotini & Zesty Marinara Sauce and the Ziti & Meat Sauce. They're all pretty good and all under 400 cals

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
The Uncle Bens in the orange back actually isn't bad at all on the sodium. For white rice, that is... You start getting in to te flavored ones, is when the sodium skyrockets.
that's what i eat regularly, brown rice, and the long grain, the flavored ones typically have chicken stock, etc which is full of sodium, added.

I made a batch of my chicken fried brown rice yesterday, made about 12 servings, and I used the uncle bens pre cooked packets, just didn't microwave them. They reacted a lot more like day old white rice, as far as browning slightly in the wok, and then i let them cook and steam on low to finish the cooking.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement