Stupid question here - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Stupid question here

i'm mainly working on adding muscle at the moment and not really doing any cardio. I'll add that in March maybe if the gut hasn't gone down any.

anyways, i'm eating 6 times a day and with an after workout protien shake i guess that makes 7 "meals" a day. I'm doing the shake and protien bar thing. Shouldn't i be adding some creatine to this if i'm trying to just add muscle?

Sorry for the question, i've never been good at this since i've always been pretty skinny armed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Scared s**tless

That's not a stupid question. It's actually more of a preference. Creatine can certainly help with gains although a lot of guys feel that they are artificial, since creatine aids with keeping water in the muscle bellies and doesn't directly give a hormonal change needed to over-produce muscle. I think it is beneficial because if you're lifting more than normal, your body has to adjust. Typically it will do this by increasing muscle mass. keep in mind that creatine does aid in water retention which can make you appear bloated.

I haven't used it in over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Hired Hand

Save the creatine for when you plateau physically and/or mentally. The strength and size gains are temporary, and will fade as soon as you quit taking it, but I have found it to be benificial in pushing through a plateau. It does extend muscle stamina and strength, and scale weight will go up (even if only because of water retention), which will in turn boost your drive to push harder.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

i thought it retained water, which i don't really want to do. Thanks for the info, guys.

I guess i'll just stick to the Protien shakes and bars? I can takes those before and after workouts, correct?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
i thought it retained water, which i don't really want to do. Thanks for the info, guys.

I guess i'll just stick to the Protien shakes and bars? I can takes those before and after workouts, correct?
The "bloat" isn't bad, it is pretty much insignificant unless you are into single digit bodyfat and prepping for a contest. This is the perfect time of year for it, though even in bikini season it's not a problem. That said, take advantage of your newbie gains first, then once that grinds to a halt, and it will, you can look to creatine and whatever to push through the plateau.

Meal timing is a matter of preference, though eating a high carb/moderate protein meal soon after lifting is a good idea for everyone. Some people can eat a big meal and go workout on a full stomach, and others prefer not to eat an hour or more before, as they tend to get naseaus or tire out easier. It depends on your physiology and metabolism. If you are truly eating "right" you'll have pretty consitent stomach content, so if a meal is scheduled 30 min prior to a workout it's no biggie. It's when people eat only a few big meals where timing is more of an issue.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

OK, so if i decide to start using creatine, do i take it before or after my workout? If after, do i take the protien before or take it too after? I feel like i should know this
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
OK, so if i decide to start using creatine, do i take it before or after my workout? If after, do i take the protien before or take it too after? I feel like i should know this
Do what the label says. Some are pre, some are post, the one I take is both. Some are morning/after workout. No matter what, get your protein in as soon as you can post workout.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Do what the label says. Some are pre, some are post, the one I take is both. Some are morning/after workout. No matter what, get your protein in as soon as you can post workout.

wait, i have to read labels now? Damn lol thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

When I take creatine I take it in my morning shake or meal, and prior to working out. The morning dose is a pre-load and isn't necessary, it's the pre-workout dose that matters most. How creatine increases strength and stamina is that it increases the body's ability to produce ATP in the muscle cells. With ATP being the muscle cells energy source, that's why you get the stamina and strength boost. The morning dose is of no use in this sense, for me anyway, as I don't do much in terms of physical activity during the day, but it does boost that ATP so that the workout dose is 100% effective. Some would say that the morning dose is unecessary, but it works for me, and my kidneys and wallet up to this point have been able to handle flushing the extra.

I'm sure you are talking about a specific protein shake, but consider protein to be a macronutrient, not just a supplement. It should be a core part of every meal, whether it comes in liquid or solid (food) form. Your post workout meal should be primarily carbs to replenish what you just squeezed out of youe muslces in the previous workout, but it should also contain a fair amount of protein, as repairs to those micro tears begin almost immediately. I prefer a 60/40 or 70/30 carb to protein ratio in that post workout shake, with some glutamine tossed in for good measure. I have also had good success with eating a tablespoon of natural honey right before my shake to spike insulin, and signal my body to shove all those nutrients into the muscles. The honey thing is no miracle secret, but it did seem to increase growth and decrease recovery time just that tinyest bit more.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Protein may be the building blocks of muscle, but carbs are the day laborers that put it all together. The workout had them put in a sweaty hard days work, so you gotta swing my 7-11 to pick up some fresh ones to finish up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
When I take creatine I take it in my morning shake or meal, and prior to working out. The morning dose is a pre-load and isn't necessary, it's the pre-workout dose that matters most. How creatine increases strength and stamina is that it increases the body's ability to produce ATP in the muscle cells. With ATP being the muscle cells energy source, that's why you get the stamina and strength boost. The morning dose is of no use in this sense, for me anyway, as I don't do much in terms of physical activity during the day, but it does boost that ATP so that the workout dose is 100% effective. Some would say that the morning dose is unecessary, but it works for me, and my kidneys and wallet up to this point have been able to handle flushing the extra.

I'm sure you are talking about a specific protein shake, but consider protein to be a macronutrient, not just a supplement. It should be a core part of every meal, whether it comes in liquid or solid (food) form. Your post workout meal should be primarily carbs to replenish what you just squeezed out of youe muslces in the previous workout, but it should also contain a fair amount of protein, as repairs to those micro tears begin almost immediately. I prefer a 60/40 or 70/30 carb to protein ratio in that post workout shake, with some glutamine tossed in for good measure. I have also had good success with eating a tablespoon of natural honey right before my shake to spike insulin, and signal my body to shove all those nutrients into the muscles. The honey thing is no miracle secret, but it did seem to increase growth and decrease recovery time just that tinyest bit more.

I already try that with my meals. Usually drink a shake in the mornings along with whatever i eat. Then at 10:30 i eat some almonds. At 12:30 is lunch, which is something involving chicken. At 2:30 is more almonds. At 4:30 is usually a protien bar and dinner usually has chicken in there somewhere too. Then after workout is the shake again. So, i should be eating carbs to go along with my shake? Like bread or a peanut butter sandwich? Not sure if i like honey or not lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
So, i should be eating carbs to go along with my shake? Like bread or a peanut butter sandwich? Not sure if i like honey or not lol
Yes, preferably a simple carb like yams or potatoes, though pasta will work, as will rice. For convenience your best bet would be to get a weight gainer shake. They come in "huge 1000-2000 calorie servings and what, but you can use half and quarter scoops to get down to 350 calories or so.

The honey thing is just an after-thought. I've been doing this a long time, so it's now down to all the little tweaks to make progress. The ONLY good thin about breaking my leg is that I get to see great progress again, as long as I ignore the fact that I'm not even back to par yet. heh

As I said, take advantage of your newbie growth, and eat eat eat. Sounds like you're on the right path.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Yes, preferably a simple carb like yams or potatoes, though pasta will work, as will rice. For convenience your best bet would be to get a weight gainer shake. They come in "huge 1000-2000 calorie servings and what, but you can use half and quarter scoops to get down to 350 calories or so.

The honey thing is just an after-thought. I've been doing this a long time, so it's now down to all the little tweaks to make progress. The ONLY good thin about breaking my leg is that I get to see great progress again, as long as I ignore the fact that I'm not even back to par yet. heh

As I said, take advantage of your newbie growth, and eat eat eat. Sounds like you're on the right path.

thanks, i appreciate the info
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

I believe i'm supposed to take the protien even on days that i don't work out, correct? But when i start taking creatine, do i take that every day too?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Time Served

your body can handle up to 20-25grams of creatine a day...just get yourself a pre work out and a post workout supp , they usually contain all the creatines and pre workout additives u need and the post will have the glutamines and etc.
Creatine is designed to be taken and works better when taken with other types of creatines, most pre work out supps contain around 8 diff types along with vitamens and nitric ox boosters and etc.
far as a weight gainer ide recommend "serious mass"..that shit will pack on the weight like nobodys business... if your wanting to put on mass and size, i recommend eating some peanut butter or oatmeal in the morning also...it will slow your metabolism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement