Anyone care to critique my routine? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Anyone care to critique my routine?

I'd like to get some opinions from those that know how to get results. I'm currently tetering between 194-197 @ 5' 5". I'm easily 30 lbs overweight. I recently changed my routine to the push-pull method and actually like the change. I'll try and upload my current spreadsheet(if it lets me) so I don't have to type it all out. I'm seriously considering finding some "good" supplements, although I don't know what's been banned these days...still researching. So far I'm taking N.O. Fury by Six Star, finishing up some Methyl1-D and taking in whey protein. I can feel a difference after my workouts and I'm definately getting stronger but I also want to shred fat.

Anyway, here's my routine...what do you think about it? What should I expect from it? Is there something that would really help me gain mass and shred fat at the same time?

George

Last edited by George G.; 06-25-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

Squats are the best lower body workout you're gonna do...except you don't do them.

If you can do 4 sets of 7 reps at 145lbs, you can do more weight. Not every set has to have the same amount of reps. That's the biggest problem I see with your routine. If you're doing 4 sets of the same amount of reps, you're not "working out." Add weight, do more work till exhaustion. Be safe though, I always use machines or dumbells for upper body stuff because I don't have a spotter. On squats, make sure you make use of the catch bars or whatever they're called that are there to catch the bar if you can't get the weight back up. Good form on squats, too. Don't lean forward.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Squats are the best lower body workout you're gonna do...except you don't do them.

If you can do 4 sets of 7 reps at 145lbs, you can do more weight. Not every set has to have the same amount of reps. That's the biggest problem I see with your routine. If you're doing 4 sets of the same amount of reps, you're not "working out." Add weight, do more work till exhaustion. Be safe though, I always use machines or dumbells for upper body stuff because I don't have a spotter. On squats, make sure you make use of the catch bars or whatever they're called that are there to catch the bar if you can't get the weight back up. Good form on squats, too. Don't lean forward.
x2 on the squats, something about the release of testosterone will benefit all the other groups.

I am no pinnacle of health and the 4 sets of 7 reps caught my eye. I would pyramid the weights and reps.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I've been upping the weight here and there and am starting to try and push myself more. Just this past week I increased my leg press from 180 to 230 and am still feeling that. I've increased a few others but don't remember which. I just update my sheet when I do. Squats have never been my thing. I've always heard they're good to do. It's something I'd have to build on due to a weak lower back. This may be obvious but on any of those sections, I'm doing all of the workouts listed per muscle group.

The one thing I am trying to work on is being in the gym consistenly. If I go 7-8 days before I hit a muscle group again, I feel like I'm starting over.

George
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. View Post
I've been upping the weight here and there and am starting to try and push myself more. Just this past week I increased my leg press from 180 to 230 and am still feeling that. I've increased a few others but don't remember which. I just update my sheet when I do. Squats have never been my thing. I've always heard they're good to do. It's something I'd have to build on due to a weak lower back. This may be obvious but on any of those sections, I'm doing all of the workouts listed per muscle group.

The one thing I am trying to work on is being in the gym consistenly. If I go 7-8 days before I hit a muscle group again, I feel like I'm starting over.
Muscle builds during recovery. Not while you're working out. Typically a particular muscle group will be sore for 2-3 days after I work it out.

Example, Monday, I did chest. Just on my bench I went with 90lbs dumbbells, first set I hit 12, second I hit 8, third I think was 5, and was only able to get it all the way up twice, and almost a third time on the last set.

Squats aren't anybody's "thing." They suck while you're doing them. That's why most people don't do them. That's how you know they work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post

Correct, and deadlifts are a close second.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
x2 on the squats, something about the release of testosterone will benefit all the other groups.

I am no pinnacle of health and the 4 sets of 7 reps caught my eye. I would pyramid the weights and reps.
Squat until you puke....then repeat!

Mike Huntzinger
Sales Mgr
[email protected]
817-849-3221
Sponsored Links
Advertisement