Counting Calories - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Counting Calories

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a place online where I can learn about counting calories? I've looked at a few sites online that start to explain it out online and they start with a some what understandable explaination but it goes into a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo that I do not understand.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Lifer

i found myfitnesspal.com and fitday.com
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I appreciate the links but I'm really not in need of a site to track/count the calories, I need a site that will teach me how to count the calories. To be more specific, if I fix a chicken sandwich and put lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard, and cheese on it, how do I take into account the calories from the extra food I've put on my sandwich?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Lifer

addition

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett View Post
addition
Well no shit? You really think so? Ok Mr. Smartass, how do you count calories for 3 slices of tomato, 6 pickle slices, 4 onion slices, 4 leafs of lettuce, and slice of cheese?

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Well no shit? You really think so? Ok Mr. Smartass, how do you count calories for 3 slices of tomato, 6 pickle slices, 4 onion slices, 4 leafs of lettuce, and slice of cheese?
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Packin' up...

Not sure on all that info, I figure that type of stuff would be a bit manual. Ex. determining the count for a whole tomato, then deciding that you only used 1/6 of it.

Is counting for the fruits and veggies a bit part of your diet though? I figure it can't skew your numbers too much. Maybe for example just count the bread, meat, and cheese.

Others will chime in though!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I was using caloriecount.com for a little while and you can search calorie info on a lot of differnt foods. Some of the stuff you mentioned you'll just have to estimate based on the calorie content of the whole (tomato, for example).

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Lifer

in my nutirition class, they send us to mypyramid.com...I think it was a dot com...could be something else though...... It is basically the website that has the new food pyramid on it. I had to keep track of everything for 5 weeks. From my choices in dining out to what I put in a sandwich. It was a pretty good site. It helps you keep track of your sodium, fat, calories....all that good stuff.

here it is...

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/Default.aspx?Module=3

*this site lets you keep count by slice, cup, tablespoon etc.

"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine." Elvis Presley

Dana
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I use Daily Plate on www.livestrong.com and it will let you select a percentage of a serving (say tomato, you select .5 or .25) and it will give you the calorie amount and track it for you.

Once you get used to it, it's not all that difficult and much easier to track it online on a site that will calculate all the info for you, than manually. Another cool feature to the site is that you can group several ingredients as a "meal" and save it, so that in the future if you eat "whole wheat bread, turkey breast, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard" you don't have to enter each ingredient, you just select that meal and it will add it to your total for the day. Also you can track your workout, so it will show you your net calories at the end of the day (how many calories you took in, minus the calories you burned working out). Very good website IMO.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Not sure on all that info, I figure that type of stuff would be a bit manual. Ex. determining the count for a whole tomato, then deciding that you only used 1/6 of it.

Is counting for the fruits and veggies a bit part of your diet though? I figure it can't skew your numbers too much. Maybe for example just count the bread, meat, and cheese.

Others will chime in though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
in my nutirition class, they send us to mypyramid.com...I think it was a dot com...could be something else though...... It is basically the website that has the new food pyramid on it. I had to keep track of everything for 5 weeks. From my choices in dining out to what I put in a sandwich. It was a pretty good site. It helps you keep track of your sodium, fat, calories....all that good stuff.

here it is...

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/Default.aspx?Module=3

*this site lets you keep count by slice, cup, tablespoon etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
I use Daily Plate on www.livestrong.com and it will let you select a percentage of a serving (say tomato, you select .5 or .25) and it will give you the calorie amount and track it for you.

Once you get used to it, it's not all that difficult and much easier to track it online on a site that will calculate all the info for you, than manually. Another cool feature to the site is that you can group several ingredients as a "meal" and save it, so that in the future if you eat "whole wheat bread, turkey breast, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard" you don't have to enter each ingredient, you just select that meal and it will add it to your total for the day. Also you can track your workout, so it will show you your net calories at the end of the day (how many calories you took in, minus the calories you burned working out). Very good website IMO.
All very good info, I appreciate the input. Looking all of this.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:

That is how the two that I listed are. It took me a little bit to convert sizes into fractions of cups etc. but it is not that bad. And since I eat the same thing practicaly every day for every meal it is very user friendly.

I am still trying to determine the amount of calories burned for the routine that P90x has you do.

On a side note it looks like my average daily intake for the last 5 days has been 750 calories. LOL no wonder I am little tired. At least I have been 37%carbs, 36%protein, 27%fat. I am trying to find the meals that work and get the fat down lower and protein up, keeping the carbs he same.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I appreciate the links but I'm really not in need of a site to track/count the calories, I need a site that will teach me how to count the calories. To be more specific, if I fix a chicken sandwich and put lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard, and cheese on it, how do I take into account the calories from the extra food I've put on my sandwich?
I have to determine the amounts in oz, gm, tblspoon, cup, etc measurements. For instance my salad I put on 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. 1 tblsp = .06 of a cup. Therefore I ate .12 cups in shreded cheese. Per cup shredded cheese is
calories 395-
fat (g) 30.4-
carbs (g) 5.3-
protein (g) 25.1

I ate .12 of those numbers.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
That is how the two that I listed are. It took me a little bit to convert sizes into fractions of cups etc. but it is not that bad. And since I eat the same thing practicaly every day for every meal it is very user friendly.

I am still trying to determine the amount of calories burned for the routine that P90x has you do.

On a side note it looks like my average daily intake for the last 5 days has been 750 calories. LOL no wonder I am little tired. At least I have been 37%carbs, 36%protein, 27%fat. I am trying to find the meals that work and get the fat down lower and protein up, keeping the carbs he same.
I'll be right there with you, I'll most likely have 10-20 dishes that I rotate out each week that can provide my daily need. Right now I'm sitting at about 1100 calories for the past couple weeks, I'm a little tired but I think it's because I tend to stay up late. I'm going to add an extra 200-300 per day when I start my p90x next monday to see how that does for me.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Texas Rangers #1

What do you guys weigh? 750 or even 1100 calories is way too low IMO. At that calorie intake level you will be losing weight but at the expense of muscle and also causing your metabolism to go way down (which means as soon as you go off the diet you gain all the weight back). You shouldn't lower your daily calorie intake by more thank 500 - 600 calories a day over your maintenance level. In my case my maintenance level is 2200 calories (6'0" 208lbs) and to lose 2 - 3 lbs a week I need to eat 1600 cals (not taking into account any excercise I'm doing). A calorie deficit of 1000+ calories a day is not healthy, and really counterproductive.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I'm 6 foot 235lb, I've never had muscle to lose in the first place. I used to have a huge problem over eating, I'm spreading these calories throughout the day and so far haven't had a problem with it.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
What do you guys weigh? 750 or even 1100 calories is way too low IMO. At that calorie intake level you will be losing weight but at the expense of muscle and also causing your metabolism to go way down (which means as soon as you go off the diet you gain all the weight back). You shouldn't lower your daily calorie intake by more thank 500 - 600 calories a day over your maintenance level. In my case my maintenance level is 2200 calories (6'0" 208lbs) and to lose 2 - 3 lbs a week I need to eat 1600 cals (not taking into account any excercise I'm doing). A calorie deficit of 1000+ calories a day is not healthy, and really counterproductive.
kenny I do agree with you. I am 5'8" @ 197. For the most part these days I sit at my desk 12hrs a day and am not active at all. (truth hurts) My metabolism has always been very low though. I know I can swing that pendulum the other direction, I have done it before and kept it up for a long time. It is just this work enviroment 0600-1830+. But if I went and ate 2000 cals today it would be either totaly unclean or I would be blotted to hell.

Heck I had to work past breakfast this morning and being as that my food comes from a chowhall I can not just make what I want to make up the fact that I am starving right now. Just have to hold out for lunch to start 1130 and try to remember to eat healthy again.

I will get the cals up but only when I know that I am expending them.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
kenny I do agree with you. I am 5'8" @ 197. For the most part these days I sit at my desk 12hrs a day and am not active at all. (truth hurts) My metabolism has always been very low though. .
I'm right there with sonic, I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day, there's nothing active about that. Most I can do is get up and walk around my desk a few times a day at work and then take the stairs to and from the 4th floor.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm right there with sonic, I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day, there's nothing active about that. Most I can do is get up and walk around my desk a few times a day at work and then take the stairs to and from the 4th floor.
I actually have started to do the warm up and stretch that is in the chest & back disc of P90x each day.

The one good thing about my office (a modified shipping container & where I live also) is that nobody can see in and I have a cipher lock (cause there be secret squarel shit going on ) on the door. You can not get in unless I let you.

I will start amping up but I know me, I need to amp up in increments that will keep me from wanting to quit.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:

I will start amping up but I know me, I need to amp up in increments that will keep me from wanting to quit.
I'm the same way, the last time I was in shape was in the D.E.P.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I recommend you read this "Burn the Fat, Feed the muscle" Someone else posted it up in another thread concerning diet, and it's really good.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F49LQ3XN

Gives you a great read on the importance of eating right, and eating the proper amount of calories.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
So far what I have learned is to really listen to my body and paying attention to how I feel to adjust as needed. I'm eating as fresh as possible and as little of processed stuff as I can. I'm trying to stay around 1500 calories eating the most calories in the morning. Last week I didn't take in enough a couple of days in a row and I felt sluggish and couldn't concentrate. I added a little more and the last few days I feel like a million bucks! But it's constant adjusting. Some days I'm only getting one workout a day, other days as many as three times a day so I eat more.

I'm really doing well for a change, I feel stronger than ever, my wind is getting much better, I'm down a good amount of weight (still a LONG way to go). I worked out tonight for 2 1/2 hours and sweated like a freak, I'm sore, tired but I feel amazing. Can't remember the last time I felt this good.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I'm really doing well for a change, I feel stronger than ever, my wind is getting much better, I'm down a good amount of weight (still a LONG way to go). I worked out tonight for 2 1/2 hours and sweated like a freak, I'm sore, tired but I feel amazing. Can't remember the last time I felt this good.

I hope I can make a post like that in a few weeks. Looks like I get to push out to a smaller FOB that has shit for chow
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I hope I can make a post like that in a few weeks. Looks like I get to push out to a smaller FOB that has shit for chow
For me it's always been a motivation issue. If I take a break, miss a workout always seems to be the habitual killer. Now I'm trying to avoid that, dragging my ass out no matter what. Before I would have sat on my ass and quit when that weather rolled through using it as an exuse not to do anything. But this time I got on the elliptical and did my yoga too. Then in the afternoon hit the weights here at home. Later that night, 2 hours of BJJ.

I'm looking forward to better weather, I'm getting to the point I really starting to enjoy jogging to where I miss it when I don't get to it.

NO exuses, just get it done.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
For me it's always been a motivation issue. If I take a break, miss a workout always seems to be the habitual killer. Now I'm trying to avoid that, dragging my ass out no matter what. Before I would have sat on my ass and quit when that weather rolled through using it as an exuse not to do anything. But this time I got on the elliptical and did my yoga too. Then in the afternoon hit the weights here at home. Later that night, 2 hours of BJJ.

I'm looking forward to better weather, I'm getting to the point I really starting to enjoy jogging to where I miss it when I don't get to it.

NO exuses, just get it done.
I would build a progress thread here but we all know that dfwstangs does not = the most mature people in the world.

I am the same as far as needing to stay motivated. Dec 04 I hit it hard by Jun 05 I had dropped from 195 down to 155, from a 36" waist to a 30-31", and was solid with no body fat to speak of. I was in my home gym an hour a night plus an hour of cardio on the streets or at the apartment treadmills. I prepared ALL my meals and ate 3 meals/3 snacks a day but did not tailor my food using any formula, I just ate extremely low fat and high protein and medocre carbs. I was able to keep that up until Oct 05 when I got sick and pulled a muscle in my groin all in the same week. Down hill from there.

Jan 10 2010, 197 again. I am 33 now, on BP meds (small dose) and have been overseas eating chow hall food for damn near 4 years. I hope that knowing to watch my calories and count the numbers plus the p90x routine will bring me back to 165 (my goal) by June 15 this year.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I would build a progress thread here but we all know that dfwstangs does not = the most mature people in the world.

I am the same as far as needing to stay motivated. Dec 04 I hit it hard by Jun 05 I had dropped from 195 down to 155, from a 36" waist to a 30-31", and was solid with no body fat to speak of. I was in my home gym an hour a night plus an hour of cardio on the streets or at the apartment treadmills. I prepared ALL my meals and ate 3 meals/3 snacks a day but did not tailor my food using any formula, I just ate extremely low fat and high protein and medocre carbs. I was able to keep that up until Oct 05 when I got sick and pulled a muscle in my groin all in the same week. Down hill from there.

Jan 10 2010, 197 again. I am 33 now, on BP meds (small dose) and have been overseas eating chow hall food for damn near 4 years. I hope that knowing to watch my calories and count the numbers plus the p90x routine will bring me back to 165 (my goal) by June 15 this year.
Well, I hope you have some success and feel better soon. We didn't gain it over night and it won't come off that way either.

If it makes you feel better, try losing those 40lbs and still know you have another 60 to go. That's where I am at with it. I try not to focus on that, just making the right decisons to keep going towards my goal, even if 1lb at a time if thats what it takes.

Good luck.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Lifer

Motoman

this is the picture from my fitday food log. Like I said once you have determined how to measure your portion of each item it is a breeze to use and modify.

That is from today's chow......

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement